Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

unc Athletics Scandal: Factual Information Docs released

For those still inclined. UNC has put out the FI info for the ANOA.

On first blush, it looks like the only thing the NCAA is really going after them for is ASPSA and Baddour's 2006 Independent Study report to the FAC counsel. Just unbelievable though I guess not surprising. Essentially, UNC successfully argued there was no academic fraud sans Boxill. How that logically flows from what they knew in 2006, I have no clue.

http://3qh929iorux3fdpl532k03kg.wpen...A-exhibits.pdf

Ted Tatos ‏@BlueDevilicious 5m5 minutes ago

Potentially particularly problematic documents for UNC: NCAA ANOA FI docs: 59, 60, 79,80 93, 94. 93 is fraud admission, 94 describes it.

Have the FI documents been released? Where's he getting this?

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post

Potentially particularly problematic documents for UNC: NCAA ANOA FI docs: 59, 60, 79,80 93, 94. 93 is fraud admission, 94 describes it.

Look one post above you. ^^^^^^^^^^
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post

Yes, the FI documents were released. See the post immediately above yours -- it contains the link.

FI93 is UNC's response to SACS, and FI94 is the infamous Beth Bridger PowerPoint that describes how ASPSA put athletes in AFAM classes because they don't require things like attendance, note-taking, or staying awake, then flips out because those classes are going away ("THESE NO LONGER EXIST!").
    "I swear Roy must redeem extra timeouts at McDonald's the day after the game for free hamburgers." --Posted on InsideCarolina, 2/18/2015

Quote Originally Posted by sammy3469 View Post
    For those still inclined. UNC has put out the FI info for the ANOA.

On first blush, it looks like the only thing the NCAA is really going after them for is ASPSA and Baddour's 2006 Independent Study report to the FAC counsel. Just unbelievable though I guess not surprising. Essentially, UNC successfully argued there was no academic fraud sans Boxill. How that logically flows from what they knew in 2006, I have no clue.

http://3qh929iorux3fdpl532k03kg.wpen...A-exhibits.pdf
    Whatever was there amounts to a pretty complete white wash. What was it supposed to be telling us?

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    Whatever was there amounts to a pretty complete white wash. What was it supposed to be telling us?
    All it is really telling us is that the crux of the argument of LOIC charge is something like this.

• In 2002 UNC's ASPSA dept did a review of the enrollments in IS, but the FAC said nothing was untoward. Apparently the NCAA believes this review was kosher
    • In 2006 in response to Auburn's IS "abuse", UNC's ASPSA dept and AD Baddour did a second review and presented these finding a FAC. This is where it gets interesting.
    • The non-athletic FAC members (as told by Wainstein) and the FAC minutes indicate that all they were told was the general overview and that everything seemed on the up-and-up
    • Baddour and Mercer (ASPSA) tell Wainstein that they told FAC about the IS/paper class abuse, but FAC said it was fine and did nothing (i.e. trying to make it an academic issue)
    • Wainstein concludes Baddour and Mercer are full of it and knew about the paper classes and abuse

So the NCAA's conclusion is that ASPSA and athletics knew these classes were bogus in 2006, didn't tell FAC at the time when requested and then compounded that by lying to Wainstein which forms the basis of the non-Boxill part of the LOIC charge. So basically your run of the mill rule breaking and cover-up at the highest levels of athletic department.

Now if they are really going this route, this sort of logic and the cover-up is SMU level stuff, but the language in the ANOA is so waterdowned that who knows what the COI ultimately does. This isn't some rogue coach doing this, but the AD.

Just to note, this is different than the LOIC charge in that that one was more based off an accumulation of advisors providing impermissible benefits. This new logic is both a lot more powerful and potentially damaging (again if the NCAA decides to do anything). Now you have a cover-up in 2006 that wasn't necessarily alleged originally (though inferred since Wainstein spells it out in his report).

Anyone ever seen BlueDevilicious and The Count in the same room together?
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

UNC has released more docs from the Wainstein inquiry.

They are on the same page where they had released docs previously, but there is a new column heading for May 2016 with 45 pdf files. Each one appears to be >3000 pages.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post

They are on the same page where they had released docs previously, but there is a new column heading for May 2016 with 45 pdf files. Each one appears to be >3000 pages.
    Well, that should keep bluedevilicious/PackPride/Dan Kane/ncaa busy for a few more months .
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

>135,000 ADDITIONAL pages?

Really?

To me, that is an alarm blaring. There is something incriminating buried in there.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post

Really?

To me, that is an alarm blaring. There is something incriminating buried in there.
    Or they are just dumping the rest of the documents because it does not matter anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post

Really?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    Or they are just dumping the rest of the documents because it does not matter anymore.
    IIRC, the original estimate was that they had about 5 million (no typo) pages of info to release and did it in such a way (that Julio/Julian explained on the "front page" a few months back), that it was almost unsearchable, because of both format and sheer volume.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    IIRC, the original estimate was that they had about 5 million (no typo) pages of info to release and did it in such a way (that Julio/Julian explained on the "front page" a few months back), that it was almost unsearchable, because of both format and sheer volume.
    They made it searchable pdfs, but they redacted so much it's difficult to nail them down on specific violations. They redacted almost all dates in the stuff I looked at today in the new docs. They have also redacted words and names that didn't need to be redacted to satisfy FERPA. It's still a full on coverup exercise.

Not that they wouldn't be light years away from being a contender, any guess as to who might be the 2nd most expensive coverup in NCAA history?
    The University of North Carolina
    Where CHEATING is a Way of Life

Quote Originally Posted by madscavenger View Post
    Not that they wouldn't be light years away from being a contender, any guess as to who might be the 2nd most expensive coverup in NCAA history?
    Well, the L'ville scandal certainly isn't requiring any cover-up...

They made it searchable pdfs, but they redacted so much it's difficult to nail them down on specific violations. They redacted almost all dates in the stuff I looked at today in the new docs. They have also redacted words and names that didn't need to be redacted to satisfy FERPA. It's still a full on coverup exercise.
    The first release was non-searchable pdfs. After they realized people were just going to run them through OCR software anyway, they decided to make subsequent releases searchable.

Quote Originally Posted by BLPOG View Post
    The first release was non-searchable pdfs. After they realized people were just going to run them through OCR software anyway, they decided to make subsequent releases searchable.
    Accept that burried in there are a few non-searchable image pages. they are sneaky.

"it won't make any difference"

.........newt
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    "it won't make any difference"

....newt
    Correct... The cheats women will get slammed ala Cleveland St that time the NCAA was so mad at Kentucky...

Men's Hoops & FB? They will likely get some kind of academic award from the NCAA for this scandal.

uncheat's PR boys called me today and offered me a bundle to NOT knock this back up to page 1..

i turned them down...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese