Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516
    Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    I love reading history, I love reading about the Renaissance and also the Protestant reformation and the Catholic counter reformation. Interesting, world shattering events that have shaped our current world.

I love crime and spy novels. John LeCarre, Michael O'Connell, Daniel Silva, and many others.
    Amen bros, preach it. Silva has the best plots of anyone in the spy/crime genre in my opinion. And Nelson DeMille has the best dialogue, by far, and he writes in first person, which is interesting.
    "...with Kam Fong as Chin Ho..."

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    And Nelson DeMille has the best dialogue, by far, and he writes in first person, which is interesting.
    An interesting fact on DeMille:

http://nelsondemille.net/about/

Did you know...

I write all my manuscripts in longhand, using #1 pencils and legal pads.
    That's amazing to me.
    Bob Green
    DBR Survivor Football Champion
    2010 & 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post

That's amazing to me.
    That is amazing. I guess when he wrote his first novel, released in 78, so I guess written in 76 and 77, that was not so odd. But wow, to write 20 novels long hand? Good Lord.

George Will still writes his columns that way - but a thousand word column and a hundred and fifty thousand word novel are two different things!

DeMille's main character John Corey is very much a smart aleck like myself...I am very pleased, so far, with the dialogue in my novel. Now, whether I can actually construct an entire novel remains to be seen...

Reading the brilliant Gabriel Allon series written by Daniel Silva. Third time through the series, which is now 17 or 18 books. Also just finished a couple by Nelson DeMille.

Oh, and writing a novel now, set in Nicaragua, which suddenly is providing me some great material ripped from the headlines.
    I just started the 13th book in the Allon series, The English Girl. It was free in Kindle. Very good so far. Haven't read the others.

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    I just started the 13th book in the Allon series, The English Girl. It was free in Kindle. Very good so far. Haven't read the others.
    If you like it, I highly recommend the entire series. That book is not at all one of my favorites of the series, but it is great as a series.

...I am very pleased, so far, with the dialogue in my novel. Now, whether I can actually construct an entire novel remains to be seen...
    Good luck! I'm sure you will succeed. Perseverance is the key to success in any endeavor.
    Bob Green
    DBR Survivor Football Champion
    2010 & 2016

If you like it, I highly recommend the entire series. That book is not at all one of my favorites of the series, but it is great as a series.
    I will read more of them, I'm sure. Many of my 'go to' authors have passed away or aged out through the years. One of my guilty pleasures was the Amelia Peabody series about a family of Egyptologists during the exciting late-nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Elizabeth Peters was the pen name of Barbara Mertz, a real-life Egyptologist. She died in 2013. RIP.