Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell

WBB: Stevens to UConn

Meanwhile, Azura Stevens has chosen to transfer to UConn.

http://www.dukechronicle.com/article...to-connecticut

(Making Uh No very happy.)

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em?

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Meanwhile, Azura Stevens has chosen to transfer to UConn.

http://www.dukechronicle.com/article...to-connecticut
    Ugh. Can it possibly get any worse?

Sigh. This makes me really sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    This makes it really difficult to wish her well at her new gig.

And yes, it could be worse. Could be going to unc.

Reaffirmation of why I don't take women's basketball seriously. Disappointed in Duke's inability to seal this deal.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Reaffirmation of why I don't take women's basketball seriously. Disappointed in Duke's inability to seal this deal.
    I'm sorry, but what the heck does this mean? What deal didn't Duke "seal"? She announced she was transferring. Nothing was going to change that, not even a coaching change. So this means women's basketball is irrelevant ( not being taken seriously)? Wow.

Guess since Thornton is transferring and won't return to Duke, and the men's coaching staff couldn't "seal the deal", the men's basketball must now not be taken seriously either.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    It stinks. I so wish the UCONN Reign would come to an end. Personally, I think what they have done is terrible for Women's Basketball on the whole. It's like UCLA of yesteryear on steroids. The game would be so much better if the talent was spread around like it is on the men's side.

There is no fun in watching one team beat everyone by 30 to 60 every single game including the NCAA Tourney. When the #1 team in the Country is 25 points better than #2 it is not good for the game. Sorry Uh No, just my opinion. Something needs to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    It stinks. I so wish the UCONN Reign would come to an end. Personally, I think what they have done is terrible for Women's Basketball on the whole. It's like UCLA of yesteryear on steroids. The game would be so much better if the talent was spread around like it is on the men's side.

There is no fun in watching one team beat everyone by 30 to 60 every single game including the NCAA Tourney. When the #1 team in the Country is 25 points better than #2 it is not good for the game. Sorry Uh No, just my opinion. Something needs to change.
    The talent is getting better and more spread out every year, its the coaching that got to catch up. Notre Dame is the only ACC
    team that gets the talent and coaching to be a contender plus Louisville on occasions. Most games you watch do not have any real
    form of offense except pound it inside or jack up 3s and in game adjustments are confined to blaming the referees or your players later.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    I'm sorry, but what the heck does this mean? What deal didn't Duke "seal"? She announced she was transferring. Nothing was going to change that, not even a coaching change. So this means women's basketball is irrelevant ( not being taken seriously)? Wow.

Guess since Thornton is transferring and won't return to Duke, and the men's coaching staff couldn't "seal the deal", the men's basketball must now not be taken seriously either.
    UConn wins women's basketball every year, and that renders the sport largely irrelevant to most casual fans. It's disappointing for both individual programs and for the sport overall that noone has been able to capitalize on top-level talent to challenge UConn recently.
    I understand Auriemma's contention that it's unfair to criticize his program's recent dominance, but I do not think it's good at all for the sport's broader appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    UConn wins women's basketball every year, and that renders the sport largely irrelevant to most casual fans. It's disappointing for both individual programs and for the sport overall that noone has been able to capitalize on top-level talent to challenge UConn recently.
    I understand Auriemma's contention that it's unfair to criticize his program's recent dominance, but I do not think it's good at all for the sport's broader appeal.
    Respectfully disagree, I think the dominance is entertaining, and one day they will fall, and it will be one of the biggest stories in sports because of their dominance.

Geno is going to coach in the NBA pretty soon I think, then we'll see how they do.
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    Respectfully disagree, I think the dominance is entertaining, and one day they will fall, and it will be one of the biggest stories in sports because of their dominance.

Geno is going to coach in the NBA pretty soon I think, then we'll see how they do.
    I doubt he'll jump to the pros. He was quoted once as saying the only job he'd leave UCONN for was Duke. Now wouldn't THAT be somethin'?
    Love, Ima

Quote Originally Posted by Ima Facultiwyfe View Post
    I doubt he'll jump to the pros. He was quoted once as saying the only job he'd leave UCONN for was Duke. Now wouldn't THAT be somethin'?
    Love, Ima
    MIght be one way to get Azura back!

Love, Ima
    I think when he said that, he was referring to Duke's men's team.

I think when he said that, he was referring to Duke's men's team.
    IIRC I don't think so.
    Love, Ima

IIRC I don't think so.
    Love, Ima
    I remember it like Kedsy did

Comment appeared to be from an interview in 2010
    http://forums.dukebasketballreport.c...uke-MENS-coach
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Do not tempt fate. Please.

Love, Ima
    Why would he leave for a competitive job? As long as he continues to have half of the top 25 or so players in WBB on his roster, he will continue to assault the record books. He is playing a completely different game than most WBB coaches. In any MBB league at college or professional level, he would just be one of many. Much like UCLA in the latter Wooden years, UCONN is recruiting itself, and there simply isn't enough talent to make a competitive field without force distributing the upper tier of talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Kfanarmy View Post
    Why would he leave for a competitive job? As long as he continues to have half of the top 25 or so players in WBB on his roster, he will continue to assault the record books.
    Even with the top talent, nothing is given to you. You still have to seal the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Even with the top talent, nothing is given to you. You still have to seal the deal.
    Absolutely don't mean to imply he didn't earn the top spot, just that it is immeasurably easier to maintain.