Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

nope...

Quote Originally Posted by Chard View Post
    You must be a tuba player.
    Sax player.

In all fairness here's another one:

How do you get a baritone sax and a lawnmower to play in tune with each other?.....

Tune the lawnmower.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post
    Sax player.

In all fairness here's another one:

How do you get a baritone sax and a lawnmower to play in tune with each other?.....

Tune the lawnmower.
    While we're at it...

Q: How do you get two piccolos to play in tune?
    A: Shoot one of them.

Q. What's one thing ya never hear?

A. Say, isn't that the banjo player's Mercedes??

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    I'd LOVE to learn how to play the banjo! In fact, if yours is dormant (sp?), I'll offer to purchase yours from you. That's a great instrument.
    Sorry, mine is a student banjo, and the cost of shipping just may exceed the value of the banjo I bought it from musician's friend, but I hear pawn shops are usually a good place to get good starter banjo (especially in the south I guess).

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    Sorry, mine is a student banjo, and the cost of shipping just may exceed the value of the banjo
    Or, if you come from Alabama, you would have it on your knee.

Quote Originally Posted by JStuart View Post
    So, Della, do you still play violin and are you still in the triangle area? We have a string group that practices 'weakly' in Durham, and could use more folks.
    Still play violin? Well...I could pick it back up. If you practice "weakly," that sounds like my kinda group! And yeah, I'm still in the triangle. Check your PM.

- della

Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post
    Or, if you come from Alabama, you would have it on your knee.
    Hey Captain Mojo! Don't you cry for me!

-EarlJamabama

P.S. I'm loving the responses here. Hell, we could have a full band and then some in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    Hey Captain Mojo! Don't you cry for me!

-EarlJamabama

P.S. I'm loving the responses here. Hell, we could have a full band and then some in a heartbeat.

But nobody's mentioned playing cowbell yet.

It's gotta have more cowbell!

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post

I own a cowbell, and sometimes play it with passion....seriously.

-EarlJammification

I was a part-time singer-songwriter for about 25 years, dating back to early high school. I played for church socials and the like in high school, and then small bar and concert venues in Atlanta and DC, mostly on my own but a couple of times for a few years each as lead singer and rhythm guitarist in bands. We had a very loyal following and set attendance records at some of the clubs we played.

I'd say my best skill was songwriting (think Lyle Lovett), followed by singing, rhythm (acoustic) guitar, then lead guitar. I also play OK banjo and elementary lap dulcimer. Some of my songs were recognized in songwriting competitions and four or five have been recorded by others, but to say they never became hits would be to overstate their commercial success, not that I ever cared about that part.

I don't really play in public anymore - it took a huge amount of time and effort, and other interests eventually began to compete for my creative energy. But I keep a guitar handy and noodle on it occasionally. And I remain a voracious consumer of music made by others.

p.s. In my next musical life, I want to be a drummer.
    Last edited by mapei; 10-05-2007 at 05:45 PM.

Guess what?

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post

I got a fever, and the only prescription... is more cowbell!

Quote Originally Posted by mapei View Post
    I was a part-time singer-songwriter for about 25 years, dating back to early high school. I played for church socials and the like in high school, and then small bar and concert venues in Atlanta and DC, mostly on my own but a couple of times for a few years each as lead singer and rhythm guitarist in bands. We had a very loyal following and set attendance records at some of the clubs we played.

I'd say my best skill was songwriting (think Lyle Lovett), followed by singing, rhythm (acoustic) guitar, then lead guitar. I also play OK banjo and elementary lap dulcimer. Some of my songs were recognized in songwriting competitions and four or five have been recorded by others, but to say they never became hits would be to overstate their commercial success, not that I ever cared about that part.

I don't really play in public anymore - it took a huge amount of time and effort, and other interests eventually began to compete for my creative energy. But I keep a guitar handy and noodle on it occasionally. And I remain a voracious consumer of music made by others.

p.s. In my next musical life, I want to be a drummer.
    Wow! That's an incredible resume! Cool. What venues would you play in Atlanta?

I was in a two-man guitar act for about two years. Everything was great. Practices (at each other's houses) were fun, easy and the time just seem to zip by. We played originals and covers. Then, we came up with the great idea of getting a full band together.

While it WAS cool having a beat behind us, with the bass and drums, the whole band thing just killed us. We had to find a place to practice. More money, scheduling became a nightmare and the next thing I know, I was hating it. I gained a whole new level of respect for people who can keep bands together.

Anyway, I also still have my guitar and play it quite a bit on my own and occassionaly with my old guitar mate. And I too want to be a drummer in my next life!

-EarlJam

PM coming up soon, EarlJam.

Smile Ah, cowbells

I also own a cowbell. Amazingly, one of my nephews (at age 5) picked it out himself to give to me for my birthday. That was too-many-years-ago-than-I-like-to-think-about, but...I still cherish my 'bell and smile everytime I ring it.

vicarious pleasure

Some people want their kids to go to Duke or be the captain of the basketball team. One of my ambitions for my kids was to have a garage band...I always thought that was way cool. Not sure it will happen even though we have a carriage house that would be perfect for practice and my one son sings and can play anything with strings and the other one plays the bass and their buddy two doors down plays the drums, there is also one of the girls they pal around with is a great singer.