Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Calling All DBR Musicians!

As some of you may know, I play guitar and sing a little. I was just curious to know the musical talents, great and small, of anyone else on this board.

Please post whatever experience you might have. I've heard from singers and a couple of guitarists on this board, but no drummers. Sound off!

-EarlJam - novice singer and guitarist by reality, international rock star by imagination

P.S. If you don't currently play an instrument, but are interested in learning, please post that desire as well.

* Played the clarinet since 7th grade, was in DUMB for 3 years.
    * I have a guitar, but that doesn't necessarily mean I can play it well. I also have a banjo, ditto about playing it well.
    * Took piano lessons ages 5-11, but that's what I get for having Asian parents.

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    * Played the clarinet since 7th grade, was in DUMB for 3 years.
    * I have a guitar, but that doesn't necessarily mean I can play it well. I also have a banjo, ditto about playing it well.
    * Took piano lessons ages 5-11, but that's what I get for having Asian parents.
    I'd LOVE to learn how to play the banjo! In fact, if yours is dormant (sp?), I'll offer to purchase yours from you. That's a great instrument.

Do you still play the clarinet??

Juilliard trained pianist. Sing (recorded for producer John Hammond way back when -- with a group that went nowhere).

Lots of musicals, like Godspell, Sound of Music, Oliver, Grease, etc.

My sister was a concert violinist (and now teaches), and my dad was a bassplayer and featured vocalist during the Swing Era. (played with Dorsey, Johnny Richards, Basie, Ellington, etc.) My brother is a guitarist who plays with a band in S.C. -- and repairs stringed instruments and guitars for more $$ than he earns playing gigs.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    I sing, mostly in the shower or the car, but also with a community theater group here in NOVA. I'm a baritone. My best songs: "New York, New York" and "Bless Your Beautiful Hide". If I get drunk, I'll go falsetto and sing A-Ha's "Take On Me" :-)
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

wow dukemomLA

Well, after DukemomLA's impressive resume, my skills just pale in comparison...

Hacked on the piano since I was 7. Mainly played the saxophone from middle school through college (yay DUMB!). These days I'm back on the piano. My wife and I perform at local coffee shops around the Triangle. She sings, I accompany on the keys and sing some harmony. We've been doing a lot of Norah Jones, Alicia Keys, Kelly Clarkson, Evanescence. I think I'll be whipping out some Beatles, McCartney, Peter Gabriel and some others soon...

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    If I get drunk, I'll go falsetto and sing A-Ha's "Take On Me" :-)
    Now, if that statue out in front of the chapel starts doing a falsetto "Take On Me," I'm really gonna have to cut back on whatever I've been drinking at the time...

I used to play piano (2nd grade - 12th grade); am biding my time until I can get one into my current house. Tried violin, didn't really do so well with it. Loved to sing as a child, used to perform in community theater musicals (including "Annie" as an orphan); outgrew that as I got older and more introverted. Now I just sing unabashedly in the car...

My brother ended up with all the musical talent in the family -- he can play almost any instrument he picks up, including woodwinds, brass, keyboards and guitars/bass, and can pick out most tunes by ear. No sibling jealousy here, no sir...

The significant other also has some mad musical skills, which for some reason is quite an attractive feature (to me, at least.) He played french horn and the mello in the UW marching band. He can sing very well, but doesn't do so unless at church.

Hey DukeUsul

You should let us know what name(s) you perform under, so when we're in town -- or for those you live close -- we can come and hear you!

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    I sing, mostly in the shower or the car, but also with a community theater group here in NOVA. I'm a baritone. My best songs: "New York, New York" and "Bless Your Beautiful Hide". If I get drunk, I'll go falsetto and sing A-Ha's "Take On Me" :-)
    Based off this article, stay away from A-HA!

My wife sang alto many years with Chapel Choir, and then sang it with St. Louis Symphony Chorus. I wonder if the Duke of the North folks investigated whether men dig the female low voice too!

Both my wife and I grew up playing oboe. Our 11-yr-old daughter is singing soprano, and has just started oboe.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

I took piano lessons from K-6. In fourth grade, I added the violin, which I studied until senior year of high school. I changed school districts, and without a strings program in high school, I wound up playing for the Durham Symphony while in high school. Somewhere in there, I picked up acoustic guitar, too.

I put down musical instruments when I got to Duke. I wish I would have continued, but I don't know what I'd have given up to free up time to play!

I married a drummer, who also didn't keep up much past high school. I'm now a band parent: my daughter plays flute (and not doing anything with it in college), and my son is a snare player who will be adding mallet instruments next semester. My son will likely study music as a major, and hopes to march DCI corps.

- della

Durham, within a couple of miles of Cameron
    Clarinet in high school (all-state orch & band) & college (pep band director)
    Somehow never found time for playing it in Med School,
    started 'cello after passing my boards (felt the need to have something to make me inferior!) and after 20+ years of sporadic playing, my wife allows as how I can HOLD the instrument correctly...
    So, Della, do you still play violin and are you still in the triangle area? We have a string group that practices 'weakly' in Durham, and could use more folks.
    See ya,
    JStuart

Growing up, I played a mean stereo! Now I sing in the church choir and play handbells. I have a piano but can only pick out notes to practice singing. I need to find time to take piano lessons.

tonally challenged

I am as my kids say "tonally challenged" but all my kids started Suzuki violin at a very young age and still play although one switched to bass a few years back and my 16 yr old spends more time playing his guitar than his violin these days.

It's kind of funny going to recitals and music programs. My older two have always been concert masters/mistresses and had solos and what not but I have no clue if they are playing well or poorly. It's kind of like the woman who doesn't understand football at all watching her son on the gridiron. I have become a big fan of music education through it all though.

Does Air Guitar count?
    Tom Mac

I play guitar & a little piano-by-ear... I've been a professional songwriter in Nashville since 1986 (though I now live in N.C.).

Played piano growing up, then the flute - still play occasionally. Tried the oboe for a year. And my senior year in high school I played the xylophone and other percussion instruments in the concert and marching bands, and the orchestra.

The most musical I get these days is singing in the car, where thankfully no one can hear me.

Drums rule!

I've played drums since 6th grade. I learned how to play percussion instruments all through high school. I played in jam sessions frequently. In college I was in a couple of bands that did nothing but jam. Someone stole my set so I am currently in between sets. Maybe once the other priorities of life get taken care of, I can get another one. When I lived in Wilmington, NC I used to go down to the Tuesday night blues jams and just sign up on a blackboard. The various instruments would get signed up for and then go up and play whatever. That is a lot of fun. I haven't been able to find anything like that here in Asheville. At least I still own a couple of pairs of sticks. I can still read sheet music but my skills have gone south in that respect.

Oh, I sang in a high school band. We had a great time playing in the yearly talent show. We didn't win. We were the bad boys of our school and politics dictated the winners. Plus, metal just didn't go over well with the voters / teachers. The crowd loved us though! Nah, I'm not bitter.

**p.s. I wouldn't mind learning guitar and banjo. I love me some bluegrass nowadays!**
    Last edited by Chard; 10-05-2007 at 10:27 AM.

Talking drummers

Quote Originally Posted by Chard View Post
    I've played drums since 6th grade. I learned how to play percussion instruments all through high school. I played in jam sessions frequently. In college I was in a couple of bands that did nothing but jam. Someone stole my set so I am currently in between sets. Maybe once the other priorities of life get taken care of, I can get another one. When I lived in Wilmington, NC I used to go down to the Tuesday night blues jams and just sign up on a blackboard. The various instruments would get signed up for and then go up and play whatever. That is a lot of fun. I haven't been able to find anything like that here in Asheville. At least I still own a couple of pairs of sticks. I can still read sheet music but my skills have gone south in that respect.

Oh, I sang in a high school band. We had a great time playing in the yearly talent show. We didn't win. We were the bad boys of our school and politics dictated the winners. Plus, metal just didn't go over well with the voters / teachers. The crowd loved us though! Nah, I'm not bitter.

**p.s. I wouldn't mind learning guitar and banjo. I love me some bluegrass nowadays!**
    Hey chard, I thought the original poster was asking about musicians.... ba-dump-ching!

Hey how do you get a drummer to drool out of both sides of his mouth...?

Make sure the stage is level.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post
    Hey chard, I thought the original poster was asking about musicians.... ba-dump-ching!

Don't know about Chard, but I resemble this remark.
    Drummers of the world, UNITE!
    Pickers-"If you pick it...it won't heal!"
    Oh, I toot a C harp but never know what key it's in.
    The voices in my head keep me from singing.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post

You must be a tuba player.