Page 2 of 113 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
    I want the Spurs to go as far as possible as it increases my chances to get to a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    I think it's a mistake to just pencil in the Cavs to the Finals - the Raptors only finished 1 game behind. They should probably still make it, but it's not trivial.
    Raptors down 0-1 already. I'm putting LeBron through.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    A definite mistake. I seriously doubt the Cavs get out of the East.
    Sometimes it is about playoff experience. You may be right, but how many finals has LeBron reached? Is it six, including five in a row?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

And didn't the Cavs just pick up Dahntey? Dukies always bring out the best in Lebron - the more the merrier!

-jk

...And Harry Barnes still can't shoot!

I didn't realize how much Marcus Smart has developed. He was amazing in a losing effort despite playing defense at a surreal level.

Oh 'Stons...so close.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Kyrie with a big day- Deng with a big night. Ex Duke one and done guys doing well so far

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Raptors down 0-1 already. I'm putting LeBron through.
    Toronto needs Demarre Carroll to be healthy and ready for 35-40 minutes guarding Paul George.

Based on Game 1, Indiana can successfully guard Toronto's stars (by putting George on DeRozan and George Hill on Lowry) but Toronto can't guard George. Not a recipe for success. Carroll is declaring that he's ready for the challenge of guarding George. We'll see what coach Dwayne Casey thinks. Side note: Love the two-way stars like George and Kawhi.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    ...And Harry Barnes still can't shoot!
    In Game 1, yes, but he's unfortunately turned into a very good shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by subzero02 View Post
    I didn't realize how much Marcus Smart has developed. He was amazing in a losing effort despite playing defense at a surreal level.
    They'll need him to stay in this series. Stevens said Avery Bradley is likely out the rest of the series with a badly sprained hamstring.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Oh 'Stons...so close.
    Yeah, they shot lights out but couldn't pull off the upset.

As for Heat-Hornets (on right now), love seeing Deng and Winslow beating up on Jordan's team.

Quote Originally Posted by construe View Post
    No one's considering the Clips? I know they did not do well against the top West teams this year in their respective series, but they were playing a lot of the year without Griffin. Are the Clips underseeded now that Blake is back?

I find myself most often checking on JJ (as well as some of the new Dukies to the league) when checking scores during the season. I think his improvement over the years into an established starter on a playoff team is remarkable. But I also get the feeling that during the reg season, folks just don't want to bother chasing him around or close out on him (why make the effort when there are 82 games to play?), so he scores well because a great shooter should hit (relatively) open shots. However, now that we're in the playoffs, the athletes will win out and will shut him down. That's what LSU did to him his senior year, and I think that fate still dogs him in the NBA. What is JJ's career performance in the playoffs? My memory of him at Orlando was that he struggled, but I don't have an impression of how things went for him last year.
    Well, LSU triple teamed him, figuring big baby would match up with Williams and Tyus Thomas could take his man and betting Dockery, Paulus and Melchionni weren't to be worried about, a bet they won for that game. It was also, shall we say, an extremely loosely called game (it was the height of that era's Duke gets all the calls mania) and their were plenty of hacks, holds and a few outright trips against JJ they were not called for.

Miami is a good team- lots of weapons. They will give the Cavs a series

Quote Originally Posted by rocketeli View Post
    Well, LSU triple teamed him, figuring big baby would match up with Williams and Tyus Thomas could take his man and betting Dockery, Paulus and Melchionni weren't to be worried about, a bet they won for that game. It was also, shall we say, an extremely loosely called game (it was the height of that era's Duke gets all the calls mania) and their were plenty of hacks, holds and a few outright trips against JJ they were not called for.
    I always loved the image of Redick's jersey after the game having been stretched out to twice it's size yet he had two free throw attempts for the game.

JJ had a nice game 1. Efficient 17 points in 27 minutes on 8-12 FG. I'm also glad Austin has developed into a respectable bench and rotation player.

Lots of Duke guys who play meaningful roles for their teams in this series. I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    As for Heat-Hornets (on right now), love seeing Deng and Winslow beating up on Jordan's team.
    Especially when you consider that Jordan decided to take Kaminsky over Winslow. He also turned down about 921743927 picks from the Celtics for that pick as well.

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    Especially when you consider that Jordan decided to take Kaminsky over Winslow. He also turned down about 921743927 picks from the Celtics for that pick as well.
    In fairness, it is worth noting that Kaminsky had a good year for a rookie (an old rookie, but still a rookie). He's not a bust of a pick by any stretch. He's a key rotation player for a playoff team. It is entirely possible he will develop into a starting center who cold get you 12 and 7, though he is not much of a rim protector, which is a big deal for a big man these days.

But Winslow, who is 3 years younger, looks like he is going to develop into a stud. His offense is still kinda raw but it seems pretty likely that in a couple years he will be a 16 and 8 forward who will also be a contender for first-team All-NBA defensive team. If one were to redraft the 2015 draft I think it probably goes:

1. Towns
    2. Porzingas
    3. Okafor
    4. Booker
    5. Russell
    6. Winslow
    7. Mudiay
    8. Turner
    9. Kaminsky
    10. Lyles or Cauley-Stein

-Jason "Towns is certainly #1, after that some debate" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I'll be the first to admit that I was a Frank Kaminsky hater and wanted us to get Winslow but Frank has been very good this year. I really think if Frank averages 12 and 7 for his career it will be disappointing. Offensively I like what he brings and his defense is very underrated. Don't let his performance against Miami last night fool you, the whole team struggled to stop or slow anyone.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    In fairness, it is worth noting that Kaminsky had a good year for a rookie (an old rookie, but still a rookie). He's not a bust of a pick by any stretch. He's a key rotation player for a playoff team. It is entirely possible he will develop into a starting center who cold get you 12 and 7, though he is not much of a rim protector, which is a big deal for a big man these days.
    True, plus I feel like it's almost impossible for a 7-footer that can shoot threes well to be a bust in today's spacing-obsessed NBA.

Look at how Cleveland completely changed Game 1 vs Detroit when they moved Kevin Love to the 5. Dragging Drummond (and his rim-protection and rebounding) away from the basket opened up so many things for the Cavs.

That was a strong adjustment by coach Tyronn Lue and one I'm not sure his predecessor Blatt would've made (although I like Blatt a lot, defensively.) Let's see if Stan Van Gundy can counter with something. Otherwise, Lue may have unlocked a series sweep.

Duke had eight former players on the court yesterday, scoring 118 points ~ 15 per game. Tops, as noted above, were Luol and Kyrie with 31 each.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Duke had eight former players on the court yesterday, scoring 118 points ~ 15 per game. Tops, as noted above, were Luol and Kyrie with 31 each.
    Lu with a nice 11/13. He's really stepped up in Bosh's absence. I know Heat fans weren't sure about him initially but they really got a great player (and person).

Durant singlehandedly losing the game for OKC. Dude is 6-29 and still shooting horrendous fade aways.

Edit: Now 6-31. Brutal.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block