Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    The only California kid that we kept for all 4 years to my memory was Demarcus Nelson.
    I shared your views and decided to look up the records for all Coach K players from California. I may have missed someone, but here's what I have:

• Jay Bilas made a mark on the basketball court and in the classroom
    • Erik Meek stayed four years and was a good player
    • Cherokee Parks was an all-star and four-year player
    • Ricky Price had his academic and basketball difficulties but stayed through four years.
    • Chris Burgess was a two-year player and his Dad was unhappy.
    • DeMarcus Nelson was an excellent player and teammate.
    • Jamal Boykin stayed a year and transferred to Cal for playing time.
    • Taylor King was your basic "mistake."
    • And now Derryck apparently transfers after one year.
    I wish Derryck the best, and am happy he was a Blue Devil.

Anyway, the record overall isn't bad, but we have had three straight players from California who lasted only one year.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by ipatent View Post
    Derryck would have had plenty of playing time next year. Maybe he knew he wouldn't be ready to make the jump to the next level at the end of the year and didn't like being recruited over, which was probably happening.
    Nope. Duke backed off its pursuit of 2017 PGs for Derryck. We'll now have to play catch up to other programs to hopefully land one.

If you're talking about Frank, he didn't even play PG in high school. They could've co-existed.

Quote Originally Posted by ipatent View Post
    So next year we go one deep on ball handlers (Jackson, an untested combo guard), with Grayson, Tatum and (cough) Jones to help in a pinch? Sounds precarious. It won't be the first time the team has had a contender that is thin in the backcourt, but we're one sprained ankle away from having a Lamborghini next March without a steering wheel.

Bolden would be a good get, but we need another point guard more. One that's eligible next year.
    Don't forget Kennard. 5 perimeter players, 4 of whom can create, should be fine. As I wrote upthread, the real loss is junior Derryck Thornton.

I must admit when the rumors started circulating it didn't really surprise me. To me, from watching his body language, it showed that he wasn't happy. He almost came across like junior year Andre at times. There was the little altercation between him and Grayson, then I'm pretty sure he told Marshall to get the F off of him when Marshall was trying to get everyone pumped up during a timeout. There were eye rolls when being talked to, it just didn't seem like he was very content. I wish him luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Duke backed off its pursuit of 2017 PGs for Derryck. We'll now have to play catch up to other programs to hopefully land one.
    Seeking clarification here. Did you mean to say 2016 PGs? I have assumed Duke has maintained interest in several Class of 2017 PGs, which interest would now presumably intensify.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    No Californian, but Arizonan Mark Alarie also stayed four years. So, along with Oregonians and Alaskans, the distance from home barrier really isn't one. Just think how many Duke undergrads in general are from California. I myself went to high school in AZ before enrolling at Duke. So, while some may mention wanting to be closer to home, in this case and in most I think it is a red herring. Awfully convenient however, even if he ended up in Tennessee he'd be closer to home.
    We could indeed add Alarie, Langdon, Boozer, Dunleavy and Singler. Taymon Domzalski was from New Mexico, not exactly an easy commute. Quin Snyder was from the Seattle suburbs.

In fact, K's first five recruits at Duke were from El Paso, Ontario, Minnesota, Colorado and Detroit.

Duke did lose one of K's early recruits to home sickness. Bill Jackman was from a tiny town in Nebraska and really did have home-sickness issues.

But if Duke had to rely on local talent, it would be substantially more difficult to build and sustain the program K has built and sustained. Almost all of K's top recruits elected to turn down a local school, whether it be Maryland or UCLA or Indiana or Villanova or Rutgers. It's just the reality of being Duke.

I didn't mean to imply that kids get traditionally homesick, or that the distance was an issue.

I literally just kind of meant to offer a weird stat, that lately, our California recruits haven't lasted too long here with the exception of Nelson.

I'm sure it's not an issue, maybe Cali kids these days are just different.

Look to sage's post up the page for the complete list.
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    This is a huge bummer. Hurts us some for next year but could be a major, major blow to Duke's roster in '17-'18. Either we'll have to rely on yet another freshman pg that season or won't have one at all (yes I'm assuming Jackson is gone by then).

Many transfers make sense. This doesn't make sense at all. He is a very good talent but a long ways to go before being on any draft boards. By his junior year he would be getting all the minutes he would want.
    Jackson will have to show an awful lot to leave after one year. If he leads Duke to a national championship with a Tyus Jones type performance- maybe- but that is expecting a lot.

speaking TRUTH about our history with california players is great and all, but i'd love to stay on topic and see if Jim would be willing to clarify what he meant about having room for Bolden AND a transfer...

Quote Originally Posted by brlftz View Post
    speaking TRUTH about our history with california players is great and all, but i'd love to stay on topic and see if Jim would be willing to clarify what he meant about having room for Bolden AND a transfer...
    Not sure transfers count against the scholarship limit while they sit out.

Orrrrrrrr, Obi seriously may not be able to play basketball anymore. My two thoughts on the matter.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Nope. Duke backed off its pursuit of 2017 PGs for Derryck. We'll now have to play catch up to other programs to hopefully land one.

Don't forget Kennard. 5 perimeter players, 4 of whom can create, should be fine. As I wrote upthread, the real loss is junior Derryck Thornton.
    Sad his family got in the way on this one - totally agree the real loss is 2017-2018 Derryck. He would be have been a solid, possibly great, four-year player for us. Will we increase recruiting on Trevon Duval? He's supposedly a Zona lean. Or possible the traditional transfer market like Jim Sumner mentioned...

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    Not sure transfers count against the scholarship limit while they sit out.

Orrrrrrrr, Obi seriously may not be able to play basketball anymore. My two thoughts on the matter.
    Transfers do count against the scholarship limit. If Duke is paying for their education, it counts towards the limit.

Durham NC here I come

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I shared your views and decided to look up the records for all Coach K players from California. I may have missed someone, but here's what I have:

• Jay Bilas made a mark on the basketball court and in the classroom
    • Erik Meek stayed four years and was a good player
    • Cherokee Parks was an all-star and four-year player
    • Ricky Price had his academic and basketball difficulties but stayed through four years.
    • Chris Burgess was a two-year player and his Dad was unhappy.
    • DeMarcus Nelson was an excellent player and teammate.
    • Jamal Boykin stayed a year and transferred to Cal for playing time.
    • Taylor King was your basic "mistake."
    • And now Derryck apparently transfers after one year.
    I wish Derryck the best, and am happy he was a Blue Devil.

Anyway, the record overall isn't bad, but we have had three straight players from California who lasted only one year.
    It's hard to judge the record since we are going back a really long time (back to the days when Bilas had a full head of hair), but it's kind of unusual to see what has happened from Ricky Price on. Price (enrolled 1994) was there but not entirely, Burgess (1997) had family issues, Demarcus (2004) was a real warrior, Boykin (2005) didn't seem to have his heart in it during the short time he stayed, Taylor King (2007) was on cloud nine (or at least surrounded by smoke), and then Derrick (2015) is here today gone tomorrow.

IIRC, Price was recruited back in the day when Coach K was forced to recruit based on reputation because of all of his outside commitments, which meant that some guys just weren't a good fit. Nowadays, that is no longer the case, but I wonder if it's harder to keep up with recruits who are 3,000 miles away, so even if the coaching staff does due diligence, you still end up with some mistakes or misfits.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I am curious about this post. If we get Bolden we won't have an open scholarship available for a transfer (neither grad or traditional). Unless you are hinting that someone else is transferring too. I can think of two or even three such possibilities (two having minimal impact, one a bit more), but this is the first I heard of hinting in that direction.
    I'm sure I saw talk on the DBR Board (before the Derryck Thornton transfer news) that Justin Robinson would/may revert back to Preferred Walk-On status thereby opening a scholarship for 2016-17.

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    It's hard to judge the record since we are going back a really long time (back to the days when Bilas had a full head of hair), but it's kind of unusual to see what has happened from Ricky Price on. Price (enrolled 1994) was there but not entirely, Burgess (1997) had family issues, Demarcus (2004) was a real warrior, Boykin (2005) didn't seem to have his heart in it during the short time he stayed, Taylor King (2007) was on cloud nine (or at least surrounded by smoke), and then Derrick (2015) is here today gone tomorrow.

IIRC, Price was recruited back in the day when Coach K was forced to recruit based on reputation because of all of his outside commitments, which meant that some guys just weren't a good fit. Nowadays, that is no longer the case, but I wonder if it's harder to keep up with recruits who are 3,000 miles away, so even if the coaching staff does due diligence, you still end up with some mistakes or misfits.
    Cherokee Parks had a nice career at Duke, and Erik Meek finished well despite having to overcome an accident.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue KevIL View Post
    I'm sure I saw talk on the DBR Board (before the Derryck Thornton transfer news) that Justin Robinson would/may revert back to Preferred Walk-On status thereby opening a scholarship for 2016-17.
    That is already being considered. If we get Bolden, Justin doesn't have a scholarship. If we don't get Bolden and pick up a transfer, Justing doesn't have a scholarship. If we don't get Bolden and don't pick up a transfer, Justin get's a scholarship.

Can we pin this to the top of the board until our roster is set?

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

As has been noted many times, Robinson was already reverting back to non-scholarship status, even before this. We would be at 13 scholarships with Bolden even with Robinson off scholarship. So to get a transfer someone else would have to leave the team.

That is assumed already. Before Thornton's announcement, even counting Robinson going back to non-scholarship status, Duke had 13 players on the list because Amile is still on the list as of now. With Thornton leaving, there is one available spot to add a new recruit, either Bolden, a transfer, or someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    As has been noted many times, Robinson was already reverting back to non-scholarship status, even before this. We would be at 13 scholarships with Bolden even with Robinson off scholarship. So to get a transfer someone else would have to leave the team.
    Thanks for the clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    That is assumed already. Before Thornton's announcement, even counting Robinson going back to non-scholarship status, Duke had 13 players on the list because Amile is still on the list as of now. With Thornton leaving, there is one available spot to add a new recruit, either Bolden, a transfer, or someone else.
    Thanks for the clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Jackson will have to show an awful lot to leave after one year. If he leads Duke to a national championship with a Tyus Jones type performance- maybe- but that is expecting a lot.
    Granted I'm relying on a lot of the hype that is accompanying him now. But it certainly seems within the realm of possibility that he is gone sooner than later. And it wouldn't take a national championship to do this either.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    What is a true point guard?

He would have been the #5 guard on the depth chart next season.
    Bold statement. I doubt that seriously. Buy it doesn't matter now, anyway.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!