Summer movies, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    We kicked off last year's around this time. I've seen some of the summer movie previews being shown (Finding Dory, Jungle Book, Tarzan) on TV. (Who wins that battle, ape boy or ape man?)

Looking forward to seeing the poll.
    Here is a list of wide releases currently scheduled for Summer 2016:

Captain America: Civil War (May 6)
    The Darkness (May 13)
    Kidnap (May 13)
    Money Monster (May 13)
    The Angry Birds Movie (May 20)
    Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising (May 20)
    The Nice Guys (May 20)
    Alice Through the Looking Glass (May 27)
    X-Men: Apocalypse (May 27)
    The Bye Bye Man (June 3)
    Me Before You (June 3)
    Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping (June 3)
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows (June 3)
    The Conjuring 2 (June 10)
    Now You See Me 2 (June 10)
    Warcraft (June 10)
    Central Intelligence (June 17)
    Finding Dory (June 17)
    Free State of Jones (June 24)
    Independence Day: Resurgence (June 24)
    The Shallows (June 24)
    The BFG (July 1)
    The Legend of Tarzan (July 1)
    The Purge: Election Year (July 1)
    Mike & Dave Need Wedding Dates (July 8)
    The Secret Life of Pets (July 8)
    Ghostbusters (July 15)
    The Infiltrator (July 15)
    Ice Age: Collision Course (July 22)
    Lights Out (July 22)
    Star Trek Beyond (July 22)
    Bad Moms (July 29)
    Jason Bourne (July 29)
    The Founder (August 5)
    Nine Lives (August 5)
    Suicide Squad (August 5)
    Ben-Hur (August 12)
    Pete's Dragon (August 12)
    Sausage Party (August 12)
    Spectral (August 12)
    Kubo and the Two Strings (August 19)
    The Space Between Us (August 19)
    War Dogs (August 19)
    Don't Breathe (August 26)
    Hands of Stone (August 26)
    Mechanic: Resurrection (August 26)

That's 46 films, and I think about 20 of them are plausible poll choices.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Here is a list of wide releases currently scheduled for Summer 2016:

Finding Dory (June 17)
    The Secret Life of Pets (July 8)
    Sausage Party (August 12)

That's 46 films, and I think about 20 of them are plausible poll choices.
    Hell, I'm going to have a hard enough time just choosing between those three animated ones.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I think one of those animated films may want to consider a name change before release.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I think one of those animated films may want to consider a name change before release.
    I agree! The Secret Lives of Pets makes much more sense grammatically.

I will set up the poll in the next few days. Thanks to all of you for prodding me.

I was looking at the films to be included and I had an interesting idea. There are 11 films that are locks to be in the contest. I came up with another 10 that I think have a realistic chance of breaking out and being contenders. I sorta doubt it, but they are not absurd longshots.

Locks to be in the poll (11): Cap 3, X-Men: Apocalypse, Star Trek Beyond, Ghostbusters, Jason Bourne, Alice Through the Looking Glass, Secret Life of Pets, The BFG, TMNT 2, Finding Dory, and Suicide Squad.

Other Contenders (10): Now You See Me 2, Money Monster, Legend of Tarzan, , Neighbors 2, Central Intelligence, Ice Age: Collision Course, Angry Birds Movie

Rather than pick a few of them to include, what if we had a "field" category that would allow you to bet on one of these longshots being a break-out hit? In fact, we could group them by category so you could bet on:

Drama field - Now You See Me 2, Money Monster, Legend of Tarzan
    Comedy field- Neighbors 2, Central Intelligence, Ice Age: Collision Course, Angry Birds Movie
    SciFi/Fantasy field - Warcraft, Conjuring 2, Pete's Dragon

I think that is a nice way of rewarding the folks who go for a longshots with extra hope. I mean, you might think that one of the comedies this summer will break out (the way Bridesmaids, The Hangover, and Wedding Crashers have done in the past) but you are not sure which one it will be. Or maybe you think there will be a surprise Fantasy film (like Maleficent) or perhaps a surpise drama (no examples I can think of, but Clooney is a big star and the original NYSM make $350 mil worldwide).

I think I am going to do this... what do folks think?

-Jason "most importantly, did I leave any films out and are there other films I should add to the various 'field' groupings?" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Have you seen the trailer? I totally want to see this one. Think "This is the End", but animated. (Since it has lots of the same people.)

PS...NSFW

Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Have you seen the trailer? I totally want to see this one. Think "This is the End", but animated. (Since it has lots of the same people.)

PS...NSFW

Okay, that explains it!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I will set up the poll in the next few days. Thanks to all of you for prodding me.

I was looking at the films to be included and I had an interesting idea. There are 11 films that are locks to be in the contest. I came up with another 10 that I think have a realistic chance of breaking out and being contenders. I sorta doubt it, but they are not absurd longshots.

Locks to be in the poll (11): Cap 3, X-Men: Apocalypse, Star Trek Beyond, Ghostbusters, Jason Bourne, Alice Through the Looking Glass, Secret Life of Pets, The BFG, TMNT 2, Finding Dory, and Suicide Squad.

Other Contenders (10): Now You See Me 2, Money Monster, Legend of Tarzan, , Neighbors 2, Central Intelligence, Ice Age: Collision Course, Angry Birds Movie

Rather than pick a few of them to include, what if we had a "field" category that would allow you to bet on one of these longshots being a break-out hit? In fact, we could group them by category so you could bet on:

Comedy field- Neighbors 2, Central Intelligence, Ice Age: Collision Course, Angry Birds Movie

I think that is a nice way of rewarding the folks who go for a longshots with extra hope. I mean, you might think that one of the comedies this summer will break out (the way Bridesmaids, The Hangover, and Wedding Crashers have done in the past) but you are not sure which one it will be. Or maybe you think there will be a surprise Fantasy film (like Maleficent) or perhaps a surpise drama (no examples I can think of, but Clooney is a big star and the original NYSM make $350 mil worldwide).

I think I am going to do this... what do folks think?

-Jason "most importantly, did I leave any films out and are there other films I should add to the various 'field' groupings?" Evans
    I think it's worth a try. Gives a little more incentive to take a risk.

Folks,

Any more comments on my idea of letting us vote on sleeper categories? Should the votes for Comedy, Drama/Romance, or Sci-Fi/Fantasy be specific to a group of 3-5 films in that category or should it count for all films in that category that are not listed in the poll. So, even though I might not list Sausage Party among the comedies, if you vote for comedy sleeper and Sausage Party manages to make $250 mil then you would have a correct pick. Are we cool doing it that way or should it be only specific films listed?

-Jason "if we did it this way, we would have to define each film into a category as it became an even mild contender, but that generally isn't difficult" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Folks,

Any more comments on my idea of letting us vote on sleeper categories? Should the votes for Comedy, Drama/Romance, or Sci-Fi/Fantasy be specific to a group of 3-5 films in that category or should it count for all films in that category that are not listed in the poll. So, even though I might not list Sausage Party among the comedies, if you vote for comedy sleeper and Sausage Party manages to make $250 mil then you would have a correct pick. Are we cool doing it that way or should it be only specific films listed?

-Jason "if we did it this way, we would have to define each film into a category as it became an even mild contender, but that generally isn't difficult" Evans
    I do not think we should change. The beauty of this contest is how simple it is, and how hard it is to get right. Didn't we all regret the tweak to move from "top 5" to "top 6"?

My $0.02.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    I do not think we should change. The beauty of this contest is how simple it is, and how hard it is to get right. Didn't we all regret the tweak to move from "top 5" to "top 6"?

My $0.02.
    I too am in favor of keeping it as is rather than allowing people to vote for groups.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post

My $0.02.
    I agree with Cato. Some years are going to be much harder than others. This one I think will be a good example. Just because it's hard doesn't mean it should be given a curve. (In hindsight of the winter poll, 6 vs 5 didn't make much of a difference I don't think as far as correct choices.)

I agree with Cato. Some years are going to be much harder than others. This one I think will be a good example. Just because it's hard doesn't mean it should be given a curve. (In hindsight of the winter poll, 6 vs 5 didn't make much of a difference I don't think as far as correct choices.)
    I agree. Plus, with the number of big movies coming out this summer, I'd be kind of shocked if a sleeper made it.

I don't know if this will work, but I have no objection to trying new things.

You have 15 poll slots, so you could create a 4th field for Animation, separating it from live action Comedy. I think there are 4 animated films (Ice Age, Angry Birds, Sausage Party, Kubo) not listed in your Top 11.

You probably will have to name the films in each field category, just so something like Legend of Tarzan (which sounds like fantasy) is clearly a Drama choice, if that's what you want.

Folks,

As others have said the beauty of this contest is its simplicity. If we want to do a top 6 like the winter that's fine but that is the only change I would want to see.

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleDevil View Post
    As others have said the beauty of this contest is its simplicity.
    Especially this summer, when we pick the films in our head and use the honor system to tell others how right or wrong we were.