Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 NBA Draft

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    So, am I crazy, or is Buddy Hield way underrated by scouting services? I'd take him #3 with no hesitation. That dude can ball.
    An undersized (6'4", 215) SG is not the sort of player that NBA GMs tend to take with such an early pick. I think late lottery seems more realistic.

That said, it looks like NBADraftNet has him at #3, so I guess you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    An undersized (6'4", 215) SG is not the sort of player that NBA GMs tend to take with such an early pick. I think late lottery seems more realistic.

That said, it looks like NBADraftNet has him at #3, so I guess you never know.
    6'4" 215 is undersized? I feel like that's starting to become more the norm for shooting guards. He's taller than Jamaal Murray, and in the current NBA, I would value talented guards and wings more than big men, especially a guy who can shoot it like Buddy. I'd take him over Ellenson and Poeltl, don't know much about Bender.

Of anyone in the tournament, I think Hield has shown the most NBA ready game. He's making moves to create his own shot that will work at the next level. I'm buying as much Buddy Hield stock as I can right now.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    6'4" 215 is undersized? I feel like that's starting to become more the norm for shooting guards. He's taller than Jamaal Murray, and in the current NBA, I would value talented guards and wings more than big men.

Of anyone in the tournament, I think Hield has shown the most NBA ready game. He's making moves to create his own shot that will work at the next level. I'm buying as much Buddy Hield stock as I can right now.
    6'4" is undersized in the NBA for a shooting guard (at least one you'd draft at a high pick).

Kobe Bryant is 6'6"
    Michael Jordan was 6'6"
    James Harden is 6'5"
    Kawahi Leonard is 6'7"
    Jimmy Butler is 6'7"
    Klay Thompson is 6'7"
    Demar DeRozen is 6'7"

There are exceptions, of course, but those guys are more hybrid 1/2 guards like Monte Ellis (6'3") and are usually crazy athletic. JJ Redick is 6'4" and look how long it took him to break into a rotation. Not to mention being drafted at #11 despite being a more prolific college scorer than Hield.

Hield hasn't shown crazy athleticism IMO. He can shoot. He can score. If he's closer to James Harden's height, that's what I think Hield's ceiling is. (which, admittedly, is really good)

I see Hield as a likely top 10-15 pick, but hard to see him as a top 5.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    6'4" is undersized in the NBA for a shooting guard (at least one you'd draft at a high pick).

Kobe Bryant is 6'6"
    Michael Jordan was 6'6"
    James Harden is 6'5"
    Kawahi Leonard is 6'7"
    Jimmy Butler is 6'7"
    Klay Thompson is 6'7"
    Demar DeRozen is 6'7"

There are exceptions, of course, but those guys are more hybrid 1/2 guards like Monte Ellis (6'3") and are usually crazy athletic. JJ Redick is 6'4" and look how long it took him to break into a rotation. Not to mention being drafted at #11 despite being a more prolific college scorer than Hield.

Hield hasn't shown crazy athleticism IMO. He can shoot. He can score. If he's closer to James Harden's height, that's what I think Hield's ceiling is. (which, admittedly, is really good)

I don't really see the JJ Redick comparison as an accurate one. Buddy is about the same height as JJ, but JJ has one of the shortest wingspans in the NBA at just 6'3.25"

Buddy has much more length, with a 6'8.5" wingspan, which also helps him out as a defender. He also has aforementioned NBA ready moves:

- The step back jumper
    - The turnaround/post fade jumper
    - The pull-up mid range jumper

In a normal draft, yes, he's probably not considered in the top 5 based on physical limitations, but who are you taking before this guy in 2016? He's almost surely going to average 18-20 ppg at some point in his career. I think Jamaal Murray is the only guy I'd even consider at #3 before Buddy, due to his age. MAYBE Kris Dunn. But in today's NBA, shooting is valued above all else. Buddy is the best shooter in the draft.
    Last edited by kAzE; 03-24-2016 at 03:50 PM.

Brey Nukes calipari

Quote Originally Posted by SCMatt33 View Post
    Kentucky has declared, walk-ons included. This just took care of all of those hypotheticals we've been discussing
    Brey has a pretty good wit, when asked about calipari's "announcement":

"Well, (Calipari) is not getting any pub here lately, because he's not playing," Notre Dame coach Mike Brey said Thursday from the NCAA Tournament East Regional. "So he's doing anything to stay out there. The guy's a master. He's a master."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...ter-draft-move

CBS AA Teams

Guess this is a good place as any to post this.
    Grayson makes 2nd team All American on CBS AA teams. Brandon makes 3rd team. The crazy thing is Simmons was their Freshman of the year. No way was he or is he as good as Brandon. Way off base with that choice. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post

Kobe Bryant is 6'6"
    Michael Jordan was 6'6"
    James Harden is 6'5"
    Kawahi Leonard is 6'7"
    Jimmy Butler is 6'7"
    Klay Thompson is 6'7"
    Demar DeRozen is 6'7"

Kobe was at the OK game and stood with Buddy Hield and they were the exact same height. So either Buddy has really think shoes or Kobe was barefoot
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

All those years and miles

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    Kobe was at the OK game and stood with Buddy Hield and they were the exact same height. So either Buddy has really think shoes or Kobe was barefoot
    Maybe Kobe's lost an inch or two of tread over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Interesting ... my sources at Florida State have believed all season that Dwayne Bacon was 100 percent one and done, but they had thought that there was a chance that Beasley (who comes from a wealthy, successful family) would return for a second year.

It will be interesting to track the ACC kids who enter the draft early this year. For now we have two:

Jaron Blossomgame of Clemson (testing the waters, might come back) and now Beasley (expected to stay in the draft).

Also almost certain to jump (but not yet declared):
    Brandon Ingram (Duke)
    Dwayne Bacon (FSU)
    Cat Barber (NC State)

Expected to at least test the waters:
    Grayson Allen (Duke)
    Xavier Rathan-Mayes (FSU)
    Demetrious Jackson (Notre Dame)

Of course, with the new rules -- allowing players to declare, work out for pro teams, then return to college without penalty (as long as they do not formally hire an agent) -- I would expect half a dozen other players to test the NBA waters this spring.
    Lots of NBA draft announcements last 24 hours. A key factor will be keeping straight who is hiring an agent vs. who maintains the option to come back.

From today at least:

Agents/definitely not coming back:
    Wayne Selden, Kansas
    Wade Baldwin, Vandy
    Stephen Zimmerman, UNLV

Not hiring agents/may come back:
    Chieck Diallo, Kansas
    Jamal Reynolds, Xavier
    Trevon Bluiett, Xavier
    Demetrius Jackson, Notre Dame

Kobe is definitely taller by at least two inches if not more

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Maybe Kobe's lost an inch or two of tread over the years.
    Either that or Kobe was slouching. Or Hield's hair makes him look taller. I suspect that Bryant is 2-3 inches taller than Hield.

Demetrius Jackson is not coming back to Notre Dame, he's hiring an agent and moving forward with the process.

http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2016/sto...ares-nba-draft

Wayne Selden, Kansas
    Wade Baldwin, Vandy
    Stephen Zimmerman, UNLV
    Devin Williams, West Virginia
    DeAndre Bembry, St. Josephs

Chieck Diallo, Kansas
    Jamal Reynolds, Xavier
    Trevon Bluiett, Xavier

Quote Originally Posted by DukeTrinity11 View Post
    Demetrius Jackson is not coming back to Notre Dame, he's hiring an agent and moving forward with the process.

http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2016/sto...ares-nba-draft

Wayne Selden, Kansas
    Wade Baldwin, Vandy
    Stephen Zimmerman, UNLV
    Devin Williams, West Virginia
    DeAndre Bembry, St. Josephs

Chieck Diallo, Kansas
    Jamal Reynolds, Xavier
    Trevon Bluiett, Xavier
    You forgot the entire undergraduate population at Univ of Kentucky.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Either that or Kobe was slouching. Or Hield's hair makes him look taller. I suspect that Bryant is 2-3 inches taller than Hield.
    "Let's look at the play. He's 6'5. With the Afro, 6'9."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i7AUpGXLDdk
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Brian Snow of Scout tweeted this yesterday:

"For the record, general consensus here among the NBA folks is Ingram will be the No. 1 pick in June, fwiw"

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    Brian Snow of Scout tweeted this yesterday:

"For the record, general consensus here among the NBA folks is Ingram will be the No. 1 pick in June, fwiw"
    Color me intrigued by this debate. In the last two years, I was convinced that Wiggins and KAT would be top picks of their respective draft. And up until a few weeks ago, I was convinced that Simmons would be #1 as well. But Simmons's attitude issues (I blame the coaching staff moreso than Simmons) and lack of shooting coupled with Ingram's length, shooting, and consistency has really made this an interesting debate.

However, I will say that I don't care if Ingram gets drafted 1, 2, or even 3. I care that he doesn't end up on the 76ers. But I have a feeling that he will
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Color me intrigued by this debate. In the last two years, I was convinced that Wiggins and KAT would be top picks of their respective draft. And up until a few weeks ago, I was convinced that Simmons would be #1 as well. But Simmons's attitude issues (I blame the coaching staff moreso than Simmons) and lack of shooting coupled with Ingram's length, shooting, and consistency has really made this an interesting debate.

However, I will say that I don't care if Ingram gets drafted 1, 2, or even 3. I care that he doesn't end up on the 76ers. But I have a feeling that he will
    I felt similarly about the Simmons situation but the fact that he just dropped out of school really got to me. Even if he had issues with the coaches him leaving school early is letting down his teammates who will be at LSU the next few years and any incoming players as well. That's just not cool.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    If he is going to go 1, the 76ers have to win the draw in the lottery. No guaranty there.

I wonder if the D'Angelo Russell story is going to play a factor. Immaturity and being a bad teammate may out-weigh talent and potential.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15...ng-made-public

Quote Originally Posted by Li_Duke View Post
    I wonder if the D'Angelo Russell story is going to play a factor. Immaturity and being a bad teammate may out-weigh talent and potential.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15...ng-made-public
    Man, what a horrible situation. I wonder if they will consider trading him. That doesn't seem like a rift that is going to heal anytime soon. But then again, being a Duke kid doesn't make you immune to immaturity, as Jahlil Okafor has demonstrated. What Russell did is beyond just being immature though, that's really unforgivable if you're his teammate. How would you ever trust him again?