Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 NBA Draft

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    He's a head case, not a lottery pick.
    History has clearly shown both are possible. And, he is a lottery pick, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    History has clearly shown both are possible. And, he is a lottery pick, for sure.
    You are certainly correct that NBA GMs do foolish things, if that was your point.

You are certainly correct that NBA GMs do foolish things, if that was your point.
    Yes, head cases are definitely on their "to-draft" lists.

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    I tend to agree with you. If we lived in a perfect world, I would (in theory) make the kids go to college for 4 years, develop their games, AND get an education (and degree) that might do them some good in the long run. But as we all know, we don't live in such a world and I'm not sure why, of if, the NBA should require someone to wait one year after high school before being eligible for the NBA draft. It seems to me a completely arbitrary rule that makes no sense for the NBA OR (some) of the players. There are some kids who might be better off to go directly from HS to the NBA. Why make them wait one year?

Furthermore, and I may be mistaken, but didn't Jahlil Okafor essentially drop out of Duke after they won the NC last year? Did he finish his second semester?
    Considering the semester ended like 3 weeks after the national championship game, I'd find it hard to believe that he didn't finish it out -- I didn't hear anything about that and feel like that would have been news. People give Cal flack for his one and done factory, but I believe there's been only one player in the Cal era at UK that withdrew from school -- Daniel Orton. And Orton hasn't been invited back.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Why is it pathetic? Simmons never wanted to go to college but was forced to by a pretty dumb NBA rule. He could have gone to China or [place country here] for 8 months, but college gives you a lot more exposure.

I can't blame Simmons for doing what he did. It's not his fault that he couldn't go directly to the NBA out of high school.
    Your second paragraph responded to your first. Simmons let down his school and his coach. For himself. And it's not like it would have been a huge sacrifice to put in the effort. Instead, his presence at LSU hurt LSU net net net. Good job, Ben.
    I tend to agree with you. If we lived in a perfect world, I would (in theory) make the kids go to college for 4 years, develop their games, AND get an education (and degree) that might do them some good in the long run. But as we all know, we don't live in such a world and I'm not sure why, of if, the NBA should require someone to wait one year after high school before being eligible for the NBA draft. It seems to me a completely arbitrary rule that makes no sense for the NBA OR (some) of the players. There are some kids who might be better off to go directly from HS to the NBA. Why make them wait one year?

Furthermore, and I may be mistaken, but didn't Jahlil Okafor essentially drop out of Duke after they won the NC last year? Did he finish his second semester?
    "Going to school" is the deal. He signed up to enroll at LSU and play for the Bengal Tigers. He didn't "go to school" and follow through on his part of the bargain, leaving LSU with a black mark on its "academic progress stat." And, albeit by rumor and innuendo (the coin of the realm on the internet), he was not a positive presence in the locker room.

If that was his intention, he should have played professionally someplace and skipped college.

Kindly,
    Sage Grouse
    'Maybe it's not an unusual problem with college ath-a-letes from overseas. The Golf Channel guys joke about foreign players coming to American universities on golf scholarships asking, "You mean I have to study, too?"'
    'There is no evidence that the Duke women's golf team, all from overseas, have any of these problems'
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I haven't raised this issue before, but I wonder what kind of deal Simmons made with LSU. He played in games, but he played Simmons ball, not team ball. Why did he bring the ball up the court? Did LSU need a 6'10" point guard? Where was the coaching? Where was the coach? Can you imagine a Duke player getting away with playing his own game, to the exclusion of the team?
    In normal circumstances, discipline can be imposed by a ride on the pine. I didn't see that going on with Simmons. I guess that he cut a deal before signing with LSU that spelled out how little he had to do, and how much he would play. I also guess that that approach is against NCAA rules.

fwiw (admittedly not much) DraftExpress now has Grayson as the last pick in the first round and NBADraft.net has him down at 25.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

(1) It is my understanding that every one-and-done freshman at Duke has finished his second semester in good academic standings. In fact, every early entry NBA guy from Duke, except one, left in good academic standings. The only exception was sophomore William Avery, who did stop going to class and essentially drop out of school midway through his final semester.

(2) Roy to the NBA? Maybe a decade ago ...but with his age and recent health issues, I'd be VERY surprised if any NBA team was seriously interested in Ol' Roy these days.

(3) Cat Barber actually told Luke DeCock of the Raleigh newspaper that he was going to test the NBA waters on the Monday before the ACC Tournament. I had a long discussion about that with an NC State insider in Washington and he told me that Barber would go if he could be guaranteed a first round pick -- but would return if he remained a second-round projection. I mentioned that to an NBA scout who told me that the State people were fooling themselves and that Barber was gone. We'll see.

Oh, it's for evaluation purposes. Back in the days of high schoolers going straight to the NBA, there were too many misevaluations on guys like Kwame Brown and Jonathan Bender. Owners were tired of making huge investments in unknown prospects, and the addition of one year of being able to evaluate them at an intermediate level between HS and NBA has been invaluable to scouting departments. Take this season, for example. If there were no 1-and-done rule, it's possible Labissiere would've been the overall #1 draft pick, Cheick Diallo a top-5 pick, Malik Newman a mid-1st round pick, etc.

Makai Mason declares for draft

http://www.si.com/college-basketball...2016-nba-draft

I haven't seen him on any boards, but I guess if you think you have a shot it doesn't hurt to test the waters. Although I don't really see him jumping into the first round. Would it even be worth it to leave school early to be a mid to late second rounder?

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Oh, it's for evaluation purposes. Back in the days of high schoolers going straight to the NBA, there were too many misevaluations on guys like Kwame Brown and Jonathan Bender. Owners were tired of making huge investments in unknown prospects, and the addition of one year of being able to evaluate them at an intermediate level between HS and NBA has been invaluable to scouting departments. Take this season, for example. If there were no 1-and-done rule, it's possible Labissiere would've been the overall #1 draft pick, Cheick Diallo a top-5 pick, Malik Newman a mid-1st round pick, etc.
    Agree with this. The age rule is for the benefit of the NBA owners and GMs - not just because of misevaluations but because no one wanted to be the guy who passed on the "next Kobe Bryant" or "next Kevin Garnett" so they were drafting on potential alone, even if the player wasn't ready to be a contributor at that time, with lots of misses as a result. As the player develops further (in college or abroad), they don't have to pay him and when they finally do pay him, the quality of play is more high caliber, increasing watchability ... Side benefit to the NBA franchises - player playing in college builds up a broader rep/fan base, which increases interest and merchandise sales.

BTW, the above all argues in favor of raising the age limit another year which provides all the same benefits but more. The players union (as far as I know) has thus far been resistant insofar as the very ocassional exceptional talent (LeBron James) is hurt by this rule...

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Why is it pathetic? Simmons never wanted to go to college but was forced to by a pretty dumb NBA rule. He could have gone to China or [place country here] for 8 months, but college gives you a lot more exposure.

I can't blame Simmons for doing what he did. It's not his fault that he couldn't go directly to the NBA out of high school.
    Yes, good word, he got "exposed" this year. I'm surprised he will even stay at the #2 pick. He has shown none of the heart of a guy that you want to build a team around. As for his game, it is so far from a finished product. In a good draft year, he might not go in the top 6

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    I think Bender would have been a multiple all star if he didn't have the knee problems. I don't think he was misevaluated like Kwame.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Meanwhile, Brandon Ingram to Anaheim to "prepare for the draft."
    Posting gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    (1) It is my understanding that every one-and-done freshman at Duke has finished his second semester in good academic standings. In fact, every early entry NBA guy from Duke, except one, left in good academic standings. The only exception was sophomore William Avery, who did stop going to class and essentially drop out of school midway through his final semester.

(2) Roy to the NBA? Maybe a decade ago ...but with his age and recent health issues, I'd be VERY surprised if any NBA team was seriously interested in Ol' Roy these days.(3) Cat Barber actually told Luke DeCock of the Raleigh newspaper that he was going to test the NBA waters on the Monday before the ACC Tournament. I had a long discussion about that with an NC State insider in Washington and he told me that Barber would go if he could be guaranteed a first round pick -- but would return if he remained a second-round projection. I mentioned that to an NBA scout who told me that the State people were fooling themselves and that Barber was gone. We'll see.
    What NBA team would be stupid enough to hire Roy? Can you imagine Roy using his 10 man rotation style in the pros?

I would love to see it happen, just for the laughs because it would be a disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    What NBA team would be stupid enough to hire Roy? Can you imagine Roy using his 10 man rotation style in the pros?

I would love to see it happen, just for the laughs because it would be a disaster.
    FWIW, most NBA teams play 10+ players during the regular season.

Quote Originally Posted by crf30 View Post

I haven't seen him on any boards, but I guess if you think you have a shot it doesn't hurt to test the waters. Although I don't really see him jumping into the first round. Would it even be worth it to leave school early to be a mid to late second rounder?
    I'd venture to say he'll be back next year. He's only a Sophomore and I think another year could do him some good. He'll have to play PG in the NBA and from what I've seen he could develop those skills a little bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by crf30 View Post

He doesn't even need to test the waters. As an Ivy Leaguer, he's not a scholarship player.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    He doesn't even need to test the waters. As an Ivy Leaguer, he's not a scholarship player.
    It's not the scholarship money that's at issue - it's his amateurism.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post

Michael what's his name !