View Poll Results: Who are you rooting for in baseball playoffs?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Angels

1 2.27%
  • Cubs

13 29.55%
  • Diamondbacks

1 2.27%
  • Indians

5 11.36%
  • Phillies

4 9.09%
  • Red Sox

10 22.73%
  • Rockies

2 4.55%
  • Yankees

8 18.18%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

In baseball playoffs, who are you rooting for and why?

Just curious to know who y'all are rooting for, and if it's not your favorite team why you're rooting for the team you chose.

I'm rooting for the Cubbies as the O's aren't in it, and being a sentimental gal I'd like to see them win the World Series.

This is only the 5th time in my life that I've seen my Cubbies play in the playoffs and I'm really pumped. I wish there wasn't such a late start for the first 2 games (10 ET), so my 8 year old could watch as well, but I guess he'll have to watch it on the DVR.

Go Cubs!

Quote Originally Posted by riverside6 View Post
    This is only the 5th time in my life that I've seen my Cubbies play in the playoffs and I'm really pumped. I wish there wasn't such a late start for the first 2 games (10 ET), so my 8 year old could watch as well, but I guess he'll have to watch it on the DVR.

Go Cubs!
    I heard the governor of Illinois on the Mike and Mike Show talking about how his 11 y/o daughter might not be allowed by her mother to stay up and watch either. That just stinks.

In 1979 my mother wouldn't let me stay up to watch the 7th game of the World Series. If I had been allowed to I think the O's would have won the World Series. I still love my mother and don't hold it against her as much now, am slowly working through this.

Lifelong Cleveland Fan Here

This could be a great w/e for Cleveland sports if the Tribe can finish off the Yanks and the Browns upset the Patriots. I think the first thing is possible but I'm not holding my breath on the last one.

Cubs.......then Rockies, then Indians

I'm pulling for the Cubbies big time. Why? Well, it's just been so long since they've won it and they've become the lovable underdog of baseball (like Rocky?). Also, a lot of my friends, including my boss, are huge Cubs fans. I want to see them happy.

If the Cubs get knocked out, I'd like to see the Rockies win it. Those guys are fighters and I've always liked Denver sports.

Third pick would be Cleveland, also because it's been so long since they've won it.

-EarlJam

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    I'm rooting for the first the Red Sox, and second, whoever is playing the Yankees. I've been a lifelong Sox fan, so neither really requires much explanation(though of course, its almost as important to me that the Yankees don't win as that the Red Sox might, since then I can continue to taunt all the Yankee fans among my family and friends about being oh for the millenium).

Though it would be kind of cool to see the Rockies, Indians, or Cubs win it all, since there are few people around who have witnessed any of them winning it all and I'm always happy to see new blood strike gold.

Red Sox, for the exact same reasons Deslok stated.

Whoever is playing the Yankees, whoever is playing the Red Sox and whoever is playing the Cubs. Indifferent among the other five. If the Yankees or Red Sox end up playing the Cubs, I hope the Cubs lose.

I need a none-of-the-above option...

I'm rooting for the Cubs, for the previously stated reasons, and the not red sux, because in the period since their WS victory, they and their fans have become utterly insufferable and are now totally indistinguishable from the Yankees and their fans, save the obvious difference in their allegiances. The difference is that Yankees fans recognize their hated status and embrace it, whereas the red sux and their fans would still have me believe that they're "underdogs" and "loveable."
    Spare me.

All of the Above?

So not quite, but the great thing about baseball for me is that I enjoy the game so much, there are several teams I'm pulling for. Plus since the Braves are out, I don't really have a home team.

In the NL, I'm certainly pulling for the Cubs, but the Diamondbacks and their young squad are just an amazing story. The Phillies and the Rockies are an amazing matchup. Both are white hot. Both haven't been in for a while. I guess I'm rooting more for the Phils only because Rollins, Utley, Victorino, and Howard were on my rotiss team (not a bad year to be long the Phillies). I'll say this, in the NL the home games should all be rocking, especially the Cubs, Phillies and Rockies. Fun!

In the AL, I tend to hate the Yankees, but a part of me is pulling for ARod to do well (can't believe I just typed that). As much grief as he's taken with as much as he's done for that team - it would be nice to see him succeed in October. But, I would love to see a Yankees - Red Sox matchup again.

Best would be Yankees - Red Sox and Cubs v. anyone. Worst would be an Angels - Indians and Diamondbacks - anyone. If that happens, I pull hard for Phills or Rockies.

When I don't have a rooting interest, I usually go for whichever teams would be most likely to make myopic pundits and network people stick a fork in their eye. (The folks who think that nowhere but NY, LA and Chicago exist). Cleveland and Denver are 17th and 18th. San Diego and Milwaukee got eliminated late--they'd have been smaller.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Go Halos!

I was born and raised in Orange County, and have been an Angels fan since I can remember. I was at the Big A for the 1986 Donnie Moore/Dave Henderson game (one of my first baseball memories, and a tragic one), and Thundersticked my way through the 2002 World Series from Durham (that ticked off the neighbors just a bit).

I'll also be rooting for the Rockies in the NL, as Garrett Atkins was a high school teammate of mine, and thus someone I always pull for. If he hasn't already, he's close to surpassing Tim Wallach as the most distinguished athletic alum of my HS (I think Will Ferrell takes the cake for most distinguished overall alum).
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Talking No surprise here

The Yankees! Life long fan.

If by some chance the Yankees don't win it all, I'd like to see the Cubbies do it, for obvious reasons, including, but not limited to, anyone but the Red Sox. Note I don't call them Red Sux. Never have.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Cubbies

Rooting for the Cubbies (perpetual underdogs) - want them to get over the Steve Bartlett incident. (Hope I have his name correct.) Will root for anyone playing the Yankees. Will almost always root for NL over AL unless the local team is in it. (Since I'm in Royals territory - not a problem I'm likely to have for a while. )

I was also just thinking it's been 10 years since the Tribe was one out and one stike away from winning it all when Jose Mesa choked and we lost to the Rent-A-Champ Florida Marlins who started disbanding that team before the Champagne was even cleaned up. That stings far worse the the Browns/Denver games that get shown on a regular basis because that is literally the closest a Cleveland franchise has come to winning it all since 1964.

The Red Sox. And, it should go without saying - anyone but the Yankees, should the Sox ruin my October!

Update: 2-0 Sox in the bottom of the 1st.
    Last edited by dukehoopsgirl; 10-03-2007 at 06:58 PM. Reason: typo

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Well, you can probably tell by my sign in name which team I'm rooting for

DukeinKansas, it was Steve Bartman, poor guy. I looked up some Cub fan friends from my Duke days during those 2003 LCS's and told them I was hoping to meet their team in the Series. I got a response from one of them after the Grady Little incident. It said "Anything we can blow, you can blow better." I appreciated that email.

wilson, there's no way Sox fans are the most insufferable, that honor will always belong to Heels fans, sorry. I'd argue that Terps fans earn the number 2 spot, we're third, at best. Wait, no Kentucky fans with their constant whining about '92, OMG are they annoying. Now, we're down to at least the fourth worst.

OK, so Sox #1 but if they don't win it would be

2) Phillies, c'mon, nobody gives them any love around here, Philadelphia needs a championship of some kind before the whole place commits collective suicide.
    3) Cubs, for all the aforementioned reasons, but still, if you think winning one made Sox fans insufferable, I shudder to think what Cubs fans will be like.
    4) Indians, let's face it, they have to live in Cleveland, it's reason enough to hope they win something.
    Last edited by Bostondevil; 10-03-2007 at 09:25 PM.

Diamondbacks...Brandon Webb and a youth movement