Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Wake Forest @ Duke

Duke hosts WF this coming Saturday and looks to end a 24-game ACC losing streak. After beating Northwestern to snap the nation's longest D-1 losing streak at 22 games, Duke has been very competitive in two close losses (at Navy and at Miami). A quick look at statistics indicates that the contest may come down to which team does a better job against the opponents strength. Duke will look to pass the ball to score, while Wake Forest will run a more balanced attack. The table below illustrates yards per game and ranking amongst the 119 D-1 teams:

Duke WF
    Total O 303 (106/119) 338.5 (89/119)
    Rush O 60.2 (116/119) 145 (66/119)
    Pass O 242.8 (48/119) 193.5 (92/119)
    Total D 457.4 (104/119) 351.5 (50/119)
    Rush D 189.8 (93/119) 115 (33/119)
    Pass D 267.6 (97/119) 236.5 (71/119)

In order to secure the victory, Duke's defense is going to have to stop Wake Forest's offense. WF will probably try to pound out yardage on the ground in order to win "time of possession" and keep the ball out of Thad Lewis' hands. When we have possession, Thad & Company must eliminate turnovers and score points.

Prediction: Duke 31 - Wake Forest 28 (Yes, I am predicting Duke wins by a Field Goal!)
    Bob Green

Arrow On Saturday

Beat Wake!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Bob,

I certainly hope you are right and that Duke prevails. Further, I believe this is a key game -- one we can win and one that we need to win to ensure team/fan attitude remains intensely focused for the remainder of the season.

I will make no prediction re the margin of victory, but I will suggest that our KICKING GAME is likely -- once again – to be decisive.

Duke-WFU

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Duke hosts WF this coming Saturday and looks to end a 24-game ACC losing streak. After beating Northwestern to snap the nation's longest D-1 losing streak at 22 games, Duke has been very competitive in two close losses (at Navy and at Miami). A quick look at statistics indicates that the contest may come down to which team does a better job against the opponents strength. Duke will look to pass the ball to score, while Wake Forest will run a more balanced attack. The table below illustrates yards per game and ranking amongst the 119 D-1 teams:

Duke WF
    Total O 303 (106/119) 338.5 (89/119)
    Rush O 60.2 (116/119) 145 (66/119)
    Pass O 242.8 (48/119) 193.5 (92/119)
    Total D 457.4 (104/119) 351.5 (50/119)
    Rush D 189.8 (93/119) 115 (33/119)
    Pass D 267.6 (97/119) 236.5 (71/119)

In order to secure the victory, Duke's defense is going to have to stop Wake Forest's offense. WF will probably try to pound out yardage on the ground in order to win "time of possession" and keep the ball out of Thad Lewis' hands. When we have possession, Thad & Company must eliminate turnovers and score points.

Prediction: Duke 31 - Wake Forest 28 (Yes, I am predicting Duke wins by a Field Goal!)
    I hope you are right Bob. Ozzie, Duketaylor(and family) and I will be there eating Q and consuming a few, but not too many adult beverages and cheering loudly to break the streak(no, not that kind of streak, Ozzie!). If we win by a FG, my biggest fear is that it will be 1FG in 3 or 4 FG attempts for a win. Go Devils!

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    If we win by a FG, my biggest fear is that it will be 1FG in 3 or 4 FG attempts for a win. Go Devils!
    If we win by the predicted 31 - 28 score, we could have 5 touchdowns and only one xpoint conversion. Just kidding!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Duke Wins...Duke Wins...

I read somewhere, don't recall where so i can't link, that the players are looking forward to showing the home crowd how much they have grown as a team.

I hope they can and I'm calling for a big old DUBYA! on Saturday.

I read the same quote from a player stating that they are very anxious to show the home crowd how much they have improved since UCONN. I thought that was a very cool statement. I am stoked for the game tomorrow. This is a HUGE game for the program. We have been knocking on the door the last few and have a crack at the defending ACC champs. The players know they can play with them as they should have won last year. I'm ready for kick-off!!!!! Let's all show up and support these guys and come home with a W!

I'll be there cheering my heart out!!

Let's go Duke!!!!!!

"We can't beat ourselves."

Interesting interview with offensive coordinator Peter Vaas.

Frank Dascenzo paints a pretty bleak picture and accusses some Iron Dukes and Duke faithful of looking ahead to the game at Notre Dame. I realize he has a responsibility to sell newspapers but I have to disagree with his analysis. IMO, nobody who matters is looking past Wake Forest. Duke has been playing very competitive football over the past three weeks and the next step is to secure the season's second victory.
    Bob Green

I will be there tomorrow, and I will be dragging my UNC loving' wife with me. This is the first of many steps intended to change her evil ways. Like a seed, it will plant itself until it grows and grows. Finally wearing that light blue on her will be akin to holy water on a vampire.

Anyway, I really doubt Duke is looking past anyone, let alone Wake Forest.

should be a good game

Wake has not been playing great D lately
    i was at the nebraska, wake game and sam keller could do what he wanted after the 2nd quater against thee D

but remember Thadd is not Sam Keller

I will be at the game tmrw and i think e will pull out a win

SCORE:

DUKE 24

Wake Forest 10
    Last edited by Bob Green; 10-06-2007 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Fix Fonts

I'll be there! C'mon, everybody. Get out tomorrow and support Duke Football!

I'll be there with my well-loved Duke Football shirt on. I know we're capable of winning this one. Go Duke.

I agree that this is a pivotal contest for the fellas. In recent years, our sparse wins have tended to be at times jaw-dropping (remember when we smacked Tech in '03?), and we've been as competitive on the road this year as we've been in a long time, so I definitely think this is a week to potentially make a statement, especially in light of the players' desire to put on a show for the home crowd.
    This game also has added personal significance for me, as my brother went to Wake (if we were to pull one out today, he would not be happy with me).
    I sent my brother a text this morning with the prediction of Duke 34, Wake, 31. As for whether our 34 are the result of four TD's and two FG's or five TD's with a missed extra point, your guess is as good as mine.

Talking Duke-WFU

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    I'll be there cheering my heart out!!

Let's go Duke!!!!!!
    Tilly-if you get this message before gametime come visit Ozzie and me at about the 42 yard line about 1/2 way up in the 'ID' section. I promise we will NOT have Earljam with us

I can't be there, because we're getting ready to leave New Orleans en route to Baton Rouge for a little tiff between the Gators and LooserAnna State this evening. But we'll be listening to Bob Harris on XM and cheering loud for a Blue Devil victory. Dump the Deacs! (And Go Gators!)

Erron Riley is a MAN. 60-some yard TD pass from Lewis to Riley. Single coverage, Riley just went up and got it.

9-0 DUKE

Game's on ACCselect.com for $5 for those interested.

Normally I follow the boys via GameChannel on Yahoo! or ESPN GameCast, but neither seems to be available today. Anybody know what gives and/or where I can follow the game? (FWIW, I can't seem to get much from GoDuke.com either)

I use Yahoo Sports for Bob Harris... go to the scoreboard, the click on the audio link. But, audio may be a bit delayed...