Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Curious. It shows up on the free page for me and at the end readers are invited to share the link on Facebook and/or Twitter.

So, I'm pretty sure I'm not sharing proprietary info.

Here's the cut and paste version.

"Duke, traditionally a basketball-first school, is viewed as a football program on the rise. The Blue Devils have posted some impressive numbers over the past few years and their recruiting classes have improved dramatically. Rivals250 linebacker Ellis Brooks hopes to continue that momentum after issuing a verbal commitment to David Cutcliffe and the Blue Devils.

“The driving forces behind my commitment were I feel like it’s a great academic school,” said the 6-foot-2, 240-pound Brooks. “I’m trying to make a 40 year decision, not a four year decision. That was a big thing. It’s also close to home. My family can come see me play. My dad, Keith Brooks, is going to try to come to all my games and I want to make sure he doesn’t have to travel too far.

“I felt the most comfortable there,” he said. “It feels like a family. I’ve known these coaches for a while and it seems like the right now. That’s where god wanted me to be and where my family wanted me to be.”

Duke got their highest rated prospect ever in the 2015 class when Rivals100 wide receiver Scott Bracey signed his National Letter of Intent. Bracey, Brooks’ teammate at Richmond (Va.) Benedictine School, really helped the Blue Devils land Brooks’ commitment.

“I look at Scott like a brother,” Brooks said. “I shadowed him at Benedictine when I was in eighth grade when I was checking out the school. I’ve known Scott the longest out of everyone at Benedictine. Seeing how well Duke treated Scott, seeing how they interacted with him, seeing how much he loved it, and what his reasons were behind committing to them was definitely a big factor in my decision.”

Duke running backs coach Ra’quan Boyette was the main recruiter for Bracey and Brooks. He’s seemingly been able to lock down Benedictine for the Blue Devils.

“Coach Boyette has always been my recruiter and we have a great bond,” he said. “I talk to him almost every single week. When we get on the phone, he’s one of the few people I can talk to for a long time. I’ve really grown my relationship with coach Knowles and it’s been a great experience.”

Brooks wants to study business and minor in communications."
    Very helpful. Thanks, Jim.

We gotta love this: recruits recruiting recruits. Great plan.

6' 2" and 240 lbs. Hmmm, Cut may try to turn him into a DE...
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

”Brooks wants to study business and minor in communications."
    Unless something has changed, don't tell him there's no business/communications major (coming from an Economics/Cable 13 alum).

That aside, amazing get by Cut and the team. Huge momentum for the 2017 class.

Ha, he lost ten pounds between the headline and the article.

Duke Spring Football Notebook No. 3

Article with comments on tight ends, running backs, redshirt players and potential team leaders including this positive observation from Coach Cutcliffe on the two redshirt freshmen quarterbacks Quentin Harris and Daniel Jones:

“I certainly am excited about what some of our redshirts are displaying and that includes both quarterbacks – without a doubt,” Cutcliffe commented. “Both are playing at a high level.”
    Coach Cutcliffe also praised the physicality being displayed by Trevon McSwain (defensive end) and Zach Morris (defensive tackle). Overall a good article well worth taking time to read and comment on. Let's get some football discussion going, folks!
    Bob Green

Duke Football- Yeh!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post

Article with comments on tight ends, running backs, redshirt players and potential team leaders including this positive observation from Coach Cutcliffe on the two redshirt freshmen quarterbacks Quentin Harris and Daniel Jones:

Coach Cutcliffe also praised the physicality being displayed by Trevon McSwain (defensive end) and Zach Morris (defensive tackle). Overall a good article well worth taking time to read and comment on. Let's get some football discussion going, folks!
    Thanks for the link, Bob. Good information on our tight ends: Beilinson, Schneider, Helms and Koppenhaver from QB Boehme. Helms (Soph) the transfer from Tennessee is especially athletic according to Boehme. The QB also said Koppenhaver (Soph) has put on mass by working in the weight room. Good things regarding our tight ends. I also saw that Max McCaffrey ran a 4.36-40 and had a 36" vertical in his Duke pro-day. Looking good for another Duke FB player to be playing in the NFL. GoDuke!
    Last edited by jv001; 03-29-2016 at 04:25 PM. Reason: spelling!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Thanks for the link, Bob. Good information on our tight ends: Beilinson, Schneider, Helms and Koppenhaver from QB Boehme. Helms (Soph) the transfer from Tennessee is especially athletic according to Boehme. The QB also said Koppenhaver (Soph) has put on mass by working in the weight room. Good things regarding our tight ends. I also saw that Max McCaffrey ran a 4.36-40 and had a 36" vertical in his Duke pro-day. Looking good for another Duke FB player to be playing in the NFL. GoDuke!
    Nice/encouraging to read. Thank you, gentlemen.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Glad to hear that Nico Pierre is working into the rotation.

Any news on the D line? We have lots of talent at many spots, but a big step forward in the pass rush from the front would rock.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Any news on the D line? We have lots of talent at many spots, but a big step forward in the pass rush from the front would rock.
    The one Cutcliffe comment that I saw regarding the DLine in that article was, "“It’s good to see Zach Morris and Trevon McSwain be physical." The other thing that I've seen lately is more recruiting trail related. Albert has been cranking through talent evaluations, and making a few offers to some bigtime recruits.

Quote Originally Posted by duke blue brewcrew View Post
    The one Cutcliffe comment that I saw regarding the DLine in that article was, "“It’s good to see Zach Morris and Trevon McSwain be physical."
    Is the front line our thinnest corps?

Not inside, where we have Wolf, Ramsey, Cerenord, Ferguson and Boyce, who have all seen considerable action. That doesn't count Zach Morris, a redshirt with a lot of promise.

Things are a lot more dicey at DE, where we have a number of redshirts with promise (McSwain being a prime example), but only Marquise Price has played any significant game action .. well, Allen Jackson is a redshirt senior who has played a handful of snaps.

Last year, we looked thin at DE and Cut filled the gap by moving some LBs to DE. That may happen again.

I would say that DE is our most unproven position (unless you think it's QB with Sirk out). We have a bunch of redshirt freshmen and incoming true freshmen who are rated higher than anything we've had there for a few years, but who knows how well they play next season.

PS That's regular position. Both our kickers will be total novices.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Not inside, where we have Wolf, Ramsey, Cerenord, Ferguson and Boyce, who have all seen considerable action. That doesn't count Zach Morris, a redshirt with a lot of promise.

Things are a lot more dicey at DE, where we have a number of redshirts with promise (McSwain being a prime example), but only Marquise Price has played any significant game action .. well, Allen Jackson is a redshirt senior who has played a handful of snaps.

Last year, we looked thin at DE and Cut filled the gap by moving some LBs to DE. That may happen again.

I would say that DE is our most unproven position (unless you think it's QB with Sirk out). We have a bunch of redshirt freshmen and incoming true freshmen who are rated higher than anything we've had there for a few years, but who knows how well they play next season.

PS That's regular position. Both our kickers will be total novices.
    Thanks Oly.

Agree on the kickers, and do not mean to sell that short given how crazy solid we have been with punting and place kicking. You are correct that I meant normal positions, and not QB either.

Personally, I don't think so. That may be a Jim Sumner question though

Video clip with Defensive Line Coach Ben Albert and Senior A.J. Wolf:

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/pl...200&id=5230799
    Bob Green

That was awesome, thanks Bob!

Nice, thanks!

Duke Spring Football Notebook #4:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200

The Duke ground attack was paced by Boden’s 44 yards on five carries while Nicodem Pierre picked up 20 yards on five attempts.
    Makes me wonder if Jela Duncan and Shaun Wilson participated in Saturday's 90 play scrimmage.

Quarterback Parker Boehme completed 12-of-18 passes for 121 yards and one touchdown with the scoring toss covering 23 yards to Boden.
    It is good to read Boehme completed 66 percent of his passes but 6.7 yards per pass attempt isn't awe inspiring.
    Bob Green

Makes me wonder if Jela Duncan and Shaun Wilson participated in Saturday's 90 play scrimmage.

It is good to read Boehme completed 66 percent of his passes but 6.7 yards per pass attempt isn't awe inspiring.
    You gotta get the bubble passes out of your system early.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Is that more on him or more on play calling?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Stephen Wiseman ‏@stevewisemanNC · 6h6 hours ago  Durham, NC

When assessing Duke QBs, David Cutcliffe reminds that "Thomas (Sirk) may be ready, just so everybody knows."
    Coach Cutcliffe Spring Football press conference:

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/pl...200&ID=5260720
    Bob Green

Coach Cutcliffe Spring Football press conference:

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/pl...200&ID=5260720
    Awesome press conference, tons of info...thanks for sharing Bob! Very interesting comment about Sirk!