Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Football 2016 Thread

Mods, feel free to move if something already exists.

Here's an interesting take from Andrea Adelson, ESPN ACC beat reporter on how Duke can breakthrough to get back to the ACC title game next year. Sounds like lots of challenges at skill positions.

Chasing Clemson: How Duke makes it to ACC title game http://es.pn/1XIup2n
    Last edited by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15; 02-22-2016 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Crap, sorry, the link isn't clickable. Dang mobile site.

now with hypertext!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post

Here's an interesting take from Andrea Adelson, ESPN ACC beat reporter on how Duke can breakthrough to get back to the ACC title game next year. Sounds like lots of challenges at skill positions.

Chasing Clemson: How Duke makes it to ACC title game

Latina retiring is now official.

"Duke head coach David Cutcliffe announced on Tuesday the retirement of Assistant Head Coach & Run Game Coordinator John Latina, as well as the promotion of Marcus Johnson to assistant coach."

http://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/Duke-...atina-43875325

Expectations

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post

Isn't it great to have expectations (not just high but ANY expectations) for football? I am confident that this fall's team will be good enough to reach .500 overal and in the ACC and land a decent bowl. If redshirts and recruits pan out at the same rate they have in the past two years, 6-6 is a reasonable floor and nine wins is a reasonable goal. Adelson's analysis is accurate, but it doesn't take the increased talent level in recruiting in the past two years into account.

As it was in our Coastal Championship year, the difference between a good year and a great year will come down to a few key plays in a few key games. It's great to be talking about football in February.

^ good analysis. Tougher schedule means making the championship game is most unlikely. But if we have another recruiting year or two like
    this past year's, talk like that won't be unreasonable.

Las time we made the ACC championship game it was totally unexpected, so don't judge this team based on the preseason outlook. We don't need extremely high expectations, but we don't need to concede the Coastal division just yet either.

Quote Originally Posted by mbird30 View Post
    Las time we made the ACC championship game it was totally unexpected, so don't judge this team based on the preseason outlook. We don't need extremely high expectations, but we don't need to concede the Coastal division just yet either.
    Exactly.

I concede that we will be the underdogs in a number of conference games.

I do not concede a loss until someone can actually beat us.

#DukeGang

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Exactly.

I concede that we will be the underdogs in a number of conference games.

I do not concede a loss until someone can actually beat us.

#DukeGang
    Which is why football games are played on the field instead of on paper. I absolutely believe Duke Football can get it done again this year. Given the increased schedule difficulty, as well as the adjustments the team will need to make at QB, I believe the .500 floor is reasonable, and that the Conf Championship Game is attainable should everything fall into place for the Blue Devils. Love it, and LGD!

Quote Originally Posted by mbird30 View Post
    Last time we made the ACC championship game it was totally unexpected, so don't judge this team based on the preseason outlook. We don't need extremely high expectations, but we don't need to concede the Coastal division just yet either.
    Duke was, in fact, picked dead last (7th) in the Coastal Division in the 2013 preseason media poll.

There's some interesting stuff about the 2016 team on the 247sports VIP section. I'd suggest subscribing because it has some great articles that are absolutely worth it.

Here's a blog post on espn.com regarding Boehme taking over as quarterback and Duke football in general as spring practice is set to open on Saturday.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/i...at-quarterback

Quote Originally Posted by Avvocato View Post
    Here's a blog post on espn.com regarding Boehme taking over as quarterback and Duke football in general as spring practice is set to open on Saturday.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/i...at-quarterback
    Coach Cut had a teleconference this morning to talk about the start of spring practice Saturday. He said the later start (almost a month later than the last two years) was due to two factors: The changes in the coaching staff (four new assistant coaches) required time to work on planning and (2) he wanted to emphasize weight training and this offered an extra month to work in the weight room.

No hard news -- the biggest "scoop" was the Devon Edwards would remain at cornerback, where he finished the year, while Alonzo Saxton (who has been disappointing at corner) will now be a safety.

He said the new coaches will be bringing new ideas and new takes, but expected the basic structure of the team to stay the same. Suggested there could be a lot of shakeup on the defensive front.

Cut was emphatic that Parker Boehme was the No. 1 quarterback going spring, but said it was important to evaluate the two redshirt freshmen (Harris and Jones).

He said the addition of two redshirt TEs -- Helm and Koppenhaver -- would have a big impact on the receiving corps.

The biggest change will be on special teams, where Duke will be breaking in two new kickers. Only punter Austin Parker will be on hand this spring.

Spring practice will close April 9 with a showcase event.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Coach Cut had a teleconference this morning to talk about the start of spring practice Saturday. He said the later start (almost a month later than the last two years) was due to two factors: The changes in the coaching staff (four new assistant coaches) required time to work on planning and (2) he wanted to emphasize weight training and this offered an extra month to work in the weight room.

No hard news -- the biggest "scoop" was the Devon Edwards would remain at cornerback, where he finished the year, while Alonzo Saxton (who has been disappointing at corner) will now be a safety.

He said the new coaches will be bringing new ideas and new takes, but expected the basic structure of the team to stay the same. Suggested there could be a lot of shakeup on the defensive front.

Cut was emphatic that Parker Boehme was the No. 1 quarterback going spring, but said it was important to evaluate the two redshirt freshmen (Harris and Jones).

He said the addition of two redshirt TEs -- Helm and Koppenhaver -- would have a big impact on the receiving corps.

The biggest change will be on special teams, where Duke will be breaking in two new kickers. Only punter Austin Parker will be on hand this spring.

Spring practice will close April 9 with a showcase event.
    Thanks Oly! That's a great nugget about Devon staying at CB. I think it speaks to the level of competition and depth at Safety for Duke. When reading that espn article, I do see where Boehme is the #1 starter, but got more of a "for now" feeling with it than an emphatic one. Was anything mentioned about the depth behind Boehme, regarding who was #2 and #3 between Harris and Jones? I like that Cut addresses the need to fully assess both coming out of successful red-shirt season. It will be interesting to see what happens there for sure!

Spring Practice Starts Today

Here are the practice dates:

MARCH
    5, 7, 9, 11, 21, 23, 25, 28, 30

APRIL
    1, 2, 6, 8
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Here are the practice dates:

MARCH
    5, 7, 9, 11, 21, 23, 25, 28, 30

APRIL
    1, 2, 6, 8
    Tailgate for the spring game?

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Tailgate for the spring game?

No Spring Game again due to ongoing construction. However, I'm definitely up for tailgate in 2017.
    Bob Green

No Spring Game again due to ongoing construction. However, I'm definitely up for tailgate in 2017.
    Wait, not 2016?

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Wait, not 2016?

2016 regular season. 2017 Spring Game.
    Bob Green

Spring Prospectus:

http://www.goduke.com/pdf9/4575906.pdf

We lost 12 starters, five on offense, five on defense and two on special teams. The five on offense does not include quarterback Thomas Sirk who officially returns but is out with a torn Achilles tendon. His recovery time and return to action is unknown.

Johnathan Lloyd has moved to wide receiver from defensive back. Two true freshmen are early enrollees and participating in Spring Practice, cornerback Mark Gilbert and safety Jacob Morganstern.

GoDuke has a short article on Day One:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200

The Duke offense, under the direction of first-year offensive coordinator Zac Roper, is guided by rising redshirt junior quarterback Parker Boehme.
    Bob Green

Spring Prospectus:

http://www.goduke.com/pdf9/4575906.pdf

We lost 12 starters, five on offense, five on defense and two on special teams. The five on offense does not include quarterback Thomas Sirk who officially returns but is out with a torn Achilles tendon. His recovery time and return to action is unknown.

Johnathan Lloyd has moved to wide receiver from defensive back. Two true freshmen are early enrollees and participating in Spring Practice, cornerback Mark Gilbert and safety Jacob Morganstern.

GoDuke has a short article on Day One:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200
    Thanks, Bob.

The last four years show what an advantage bowling gives a team. In past years, this would be the first practice or action since around Thanksgiving.

I think Sirk is a great leader and I cannot wait for his return to full health. Having said that, I a comfortable with Parker at the helm. If Thomas' injury had to occur, better that it is early in the offseason so Parker can get reps and get mentally ready, than in the first game where Parker has to come in unexpectedly. At least, that's my effort to make the best of a tough situation.