Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Too bad baseball is the one sport where unless you have pro talent, you're not going to get a full ride. 30 or so players, I believe 13.5 scholarships to spread around.
    Is this fairly comparable among all ACC schools, or do other schools put more scholarships into baseball?

Quote Originally Posted by rtnorthrup View Post
    Is this fairly comparable among all ACC schools, or do other schools put more scholarships into baseball?
    Maximum of 11.7 scholarships for all NCAA D1 teams. Duke does fully fund those 11.7, but I think this is one area where Duke is at a marked disadvantage. A 50 or even 75% scholarship to Duke still creates a huge financial burden to many families.

I hope we can get some good crowds out to the games this weekend vs. Miami. Weather looks great for all 3.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil14 View Post
    Maximum of 11.7 scholarships for all NCAA D1 teams. Duke does fully fund those 11.7, but I think this is one area where Duke is at a marked disadvantage. A 50 or even 75% scholarship to Duke still creates a huge financial burden to many families.

I hope we can get some good crowds out to the games this weekend vs. Miami. Weather looks great for all 3.
    If you get a partial scholarship is the rest eligible for financial aid from Duke ?

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by aswewere View Post
    If you get a partial scholarship is the rest eligible for financial aid from Duke ?
    Yes, as long as they follow their standard process for evaluating the need. (I.e., no "well, we need him in left, so let's give him everything else to make it a full ride.")

ncaa.com seems to be updating their RPI every day. We sit at 57 right now, which is higher than we ended last season.

It would be nice to make the ACC Tournament again. With our recent pitching staffs, you could never rule out us making some noise in that format if only we could qualify.

Since awhom pointed out that Duke v Miami was on ESPN3, I decided to put it on the bottom corner of my screen. I'm liking it so far. Bottom of the 2nd and we are up 6-2 on the #1 Miami Hurricanes. Looks like there will be a pitching change.

(The 6 were scored after I tuned in - you are very welcome! ;-) )

Great news on Duke-Miami ... after we got blown out Friday (we were up 2-1 early, but lost 15-2).

This weekend marks the start of the second half of the ACC season. We have to do better in the second half -- as it now stands, we're out of the ACC Tournament. The top six teams qualify for the round robin .. the next four teams play a one-game single elimination to qualify for the round robin.

It's very close, but we need to pick it up to get in the top 10 and make the tournament -- even one of the two play-in games.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Great news on Duke-Miami ... after we got blown out Friday (we were up 2-1 early, but lost 15-2).

This weekend marks the start of the second half of the ACC season. We have to do better in the second half -- as it now stands, we're out of the ACC Tournament. The top six teams qualify for the round robin .. the next four teams play a one-game single elimination to qualify for the round robin.

It's very close, but we need to pick it up to get in the top 10 and make the tournament -- even one of the two play-in games.
    Winning 12-7 has to help! Let's go, Devils!

Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Winning 12-7 has to help! Let's go, Devils!
    With the 12-5 win, we moved into the mid-40s in RPI. Win tomorrow would be huge and probably get us into some national rankings.

Has Duke baseball ever, before today, beaten a #1 team?
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Has Duke baseball ever, before today, beaten a #1 team?
    GoDuke article says we beat #1 Uncheat in 2009.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Time for a 9 run bottom of the 9th. Let's Go, Devils!

Back down to earth.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Blue Devils in a slugfest at Liberty tonight. Justin Bellinger led off the 6th with a solo HR to give DUKE an 8-7 lead...But we haven't had a 3 up and 3 down inning tonight defensively. 21 total hits so far. Let's go DUKE!!

8-7 is tonight's final! DUKE wins!!!
    :-)

Quote Originally Posted by dukie's_daughter View Post
    8-7 is tonight's final! DUKE wins!!!
    :-)
    I followed on line. That was an amaizing back and forth game. Our pitching finally came through in the end.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

All wins are great and you want the best record possible, but the harsh truth is that Duke is unlikely to earn an at large NCAA bid.

The immediate goal should be qualifying for the ACC Tournament. Even that is going to be tough.

The top six teams in the standings qualify for an eight-team round robin. The next four teams in the standings play a one-game, sudden-death contest to settle the last two round-robin teams. The last four teams in the standings (Syracuse does not compete in baseball) are out.

Right now, Duke is out ... but with 12 ACC games to go, it's close.

If the tourney started right now, the six round-robin teams would be:

1. Miami (13-3)
    2. Louisville (13-5)
    3. FSU (10-4)
    4. NC State (10-6)
    5. Notre Dame (9-7)
    6. UNC (9-9)
    Virginia (9-9)

Either UNC or Virginia would drop to the play-in game (not sure who won the tiebreaker), along with:
    8. Georgia Tech (8-9)
    Pitt (8-9)
    10. Clemson (8-10)

Out are:
    Duke (7-11)
    Wake (7-11) (Note: Wake currently wins the tiebreaker after going 2-1 vs. Duke)
    Boston College (5-11)
    Virginia Tech (3-15)

Duke plays three games at Virginia Tech this weekend. It's vital that Duke sweeps this three-game series against the ACC's worst team. Even a 2-1 series win wouldn't help a lot, considering what's coming up.

Next weekend, Duke plays three games at NC State, one of the league's better teams. A 2-1 split in that one would be a great achievement.

Duke gets the next weekend off from ACC play, but May 13-15, Duke has three games with powerful FSU at Durham Bulls Athletic Park (the site of the ACC Tourney).

The next Thursday-Saturday, Duke has three games at Pitt -- a team the Devils should be fighting for a spot in the tournament. A tiebreaker might be important, so at least a 2-1 series split is vital.

Getting in the play-in game makes it tough -- you have to burn your best (or second best if the coach wants to gamble) pitcher before the round-robin. But it's a lot better than missing the tournament.

I think Duke has to go at least 8-4 in its final ACC games ... and that would merely get the Devils to 15-15 for the season. That SHOULD be enough (no guarantee). I'd be scared to finish 14-16 (as 7-5 finish). Note: rainouts are usually not made up (unless the games can be made up later that same weekend), so if we're going to have rainouts, let it be against FSU or State and not VPI or Pitt.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    All wins are great and you want the best record possible, but the harsh truth is that Duke is unlikely to earn an at large NCAA bid.

The immediate goal should be qualifying for the ACC Tournament. Even that is going to be tough.

The top six teams in the standings qualify for an eight-team round robin. The next four teams in the standings play a one-game, sudden-death contest to settle the last two round-robin teams. The last four teams in the standings (Syracuse does not compete in baseball) are out.

Right now, Duke is out ... but with 12 ACC games to go, it's close.

If the tourney started right now, the six round-robin teams would be:

1. Miami (13-3)
    2. Louisville (13-5)
    3. FSU (10-4)
    4. NC State (10-6)
    5. Notre Dame (9-7)
    6. UNC (9-9)
    Virginia (9-9)

Either UNC or Virginia would drop to the play-in game (not sure who won the tiebreaker), along with:
    8. Georgia Tech (8-9)
    Pitt (8-9)
    10. Clemson (8-10)

Out are:
    Duke (7-11)
    Wake (7-11) (Note: Wake currently wins the tiebreaker after going 2-1 vs. Duke)
    Boston College (5-11)
    Virginia Tech (3-15)

Duke plays three games at Virginia Tech this weekend. It's vital that Duke sweeps this three-game series against the ACC's worst team. Even a 2-1 series win wouldn't help a lot, considering what's coming up.

Next weekend, Duke plays three games at NC State, one of the league's better teams. A 2-1 split in that one would be a great achievement.

Duke gets the next weekend off from ACC play, but May 13-15, Duke has three games with powerful FSU at Durham Bulls Athletic Park (the site of the ACC Tourney).

The next Thursday-Saturday, Duke has three games at Pitt -- a team the Devils should be fighting for a spot in the tournament. A tiebreaker might be important, so at least a 2-1 series split is vital.

Getting in the play-in game makes it tough -- you have to burn your best (or second best if the coach wants to gamble) pitcher before the round-robin. But it's a lot better than missing the tournament.

I think Duke has to go at least 8-4 in its final ACC games ... and that would merely get the Devils to 15-15 for the season. That SHOULD be enough (no guarantee). I'd be scared to finish 14-16 (as 7-5 finish). Note: rainouts are usually not made up (unless the games can be made up later that same weekend), so if we're going to have rainouts, let it be against FSU or State and not VPI or Pitt.
    Sad but true Olyfan. Duke going 8-4 would be miraculous. Sweep the Hokies and keep hope alive.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Duke's first game at Virginia Tech was rained out Friday, but we'll still get all three games in up there if the weather holds for the rest of the weekend.

The first of two today has started this afternoon -- 0-0 after five innings.

As noted above, pretty important to sweep the ACC's worst team if Duke hopes to qualify for the ACC Tournament.