Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Absolutely .. teams should own their hometowns. It's disgusting that the Warriors don't acknowledge their hometown of Oakland. It's a great city that gave us Jack London, Gertrude Stein, Isadora Duncan, Sheila E., MC Hammer, Tupac Shakur and a ton of great athletes, from Bill Russell (who grew up there), to Frank Robinson, Joe Morgan, John Brodie, Curt Flood, Ernie Lombardi, Vada Pinson, Don Budge, Jason Kidd, Gary Payton ... the point is, Oakland is a great city, but hoity-toity San Francisco looks down its nose at the city across the bay. It's a shame that the basketball team based there refuses to acknowledge its home.

So I have no problem with the Charlotte Panthers or the Raleigh Hurricanes. I know A LOT of pundits use the New Jersey Giants to the describe the team that likes to pretend it represents the Big Apple but plays across the Hudson in New Jersey.

When the Braves move, I will NEVER refer to them as Atlanta again. They will become the Cobb County Braves.
    I don't think the Giants or Jets want to be identified with East Rutherford. They would suffer by comparison with the team in town that makes the playoffs most years, the mighty Becton Regional Wildcars.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    I don't think the Giants or Jets want to be identified with East Rutherford. They would suffer by comparison with the team in town that makes the playoffs most years, the mighty Becton Regional Wildcars.
    What is a Wildcar?

And what sport do they play?

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Anyone going to our tournament game Tuesday at 11? I'm going to try.
    I'll be there! Looking forward to supporting the team and Coach Pollard. Hope to see some blue there.

Quote Originally Posted by Lid View Post
    I'll be there! Looking forward to supporting the team and Coach Pollard. Hope to see some blue there.
    For reasons I don't understand, the Duke-Wake baseball game is blacked out for me on ESPN3? Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    For reasons I don't understand, the Duke-Wake baseball game is blacked out for me on ESPN3? Ugh.
    http://www.theacc.com/page/2016-acc-...ionship-on-rsn

It is for me as well (I'm in NYC). Hopefully the link above will provide you with another viewing option!

If you can get Fox Sports South...

Bottom of the third 3-1 Wake. But, Duke has runners on 1st & 2nd with one down.
    Make that...loaded now.
    Well, it should have been. Neighborhood ground ball force at second.

Wake wins 4-3. Looks like we were down 4-1 and scored 2 in the bottom of the 7th but left men on first and second and left men on third in both the 8th and 9th.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    What is a Wildcar?

And what sport do they play?
    Just google it and google will fix it for you. It's amazing how lazy computers can make us.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Wake wins 4-3. Looks like we were down 4-1 and scored 2 in the bottom of the 7th but left men on first and second and left men on third in both the 8th and 9th.
    I just got back from the DBAP ... incredibly frustrating game -- Duke outhit them 13-5 and ended up with 12 LOB, while Wake finished with 2 LOB

Urban hit the second batter of the game, then gave up a two-run homer. After that, he and three relievers were pretty dominant. Wake scratched out two more runs, basically by running on Duke's outfield. The first came with a man on second (thanks to a balk) and a pop to short, SHORT right ... the runner was able to move from second to third. He then came in on a routine fly ball to deep center. We had another play, not so bad, when a Wake runner on first was able to tag and get to second on a deep fly to center. He scored on a single.

Duke hit in some incredible bad luck -- twice hitting line shots that would have driven in runs, but were hit right at defenders. One of those ended the seventh, after Duke had already scored two and had the tying run flying home from second on contact -- but theliner went straight to the centerfielder, ending the inning.

Down one in the eighth, Duke got a leadoff double, sacrificed him to third ... then a three pitch strikeout and another strikeout.

Still down one in the ninth, Duke got a leadoff walk. Duke tried to sacrifice him, but two failed bunt attempts led to a strikeout. Duke got a two out single to put runners on first and third ... a pinch hitter struck out to end the game.

Tough, tough loss. I talked to a very knowledgeable college baseball guy at the game (I know very little about the sport) and said Duke's NCAA chances were just a little better than 50-50 ... but far from a lock.

... I talked to a very knowledgeable college baseball guy at the game (I know very little about the sport) and said Duke's NCAA chances were just a little better than 50-50 ... but far from a lock.
    What are WFU's odds?

In Googling around, I found mention of some D1 college baseball bracketology forecasting on this site by a former Baseball America writer based on Durham, but it looks like may have to pay:

http://www.d1baseball.com/

Heart-breaker. Hard to win games when your team has double digit strike outs.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

I just got back from the DBAP ... incredibly frustrating game -- Duke outhit them 13-5 and ended up with 12 LOB, while Wake finished with 2 LOB

Urban hit the second batter of the game, then gave up a two-run homer. After that, he and three relievers were pretty dominant. Wake scratched out two more runs, basically by running on Duke's outfield. The first came with a man on second (thanks to a balk) and a pop to short, SHORT right ... the runner was able to move from second to third. He then came in on a routine fly ball to deep center. We had another play, not so bad, when a Wake runner on first was able to tag and get to second on a deep fly to center. He scored on a single.

Duke hit in some incredible bad luck -- twice hitting line shots that would have driven in runs, but were hit right at defenders. One of those ended the seventh, after Duke had already scored two and had the tying run flying home from second on contact -- but theliner went straight to the centerfielder, ending the inning.

Down one in the eighth, Duke got a leadoff double, sacrificed him to third ... then a three pitch strikeout and another strikeout.

Still down one in the ninth, Duke got a leadoff walk. Duke tried to sacrifice him, but two failed bunt attempts led to a strikeout. Duke got a two out single to put runners on first and third ... a pinch hitter struck out to end the game.

Tough, tough loss. I talked to a very knowledgeable college baseball guy at the game (I know very little about the sport) and said Duke's NCAA chances were just a little better than 50-50 ... but far from a lock.
    I don't care if it's little league, high school, college or even major league baseball, not doing the little things seem to come back and haunt you. Failing to sacrifice, giving up walks and hitting batters happen through out the game of baseball but it really hurts. Hoping for an NCAA berth but if not, the guys really came together late in the season. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    What are WFU's odds?

In Googling around, I found mention of some D1 college baseball bracketology forecasting on this site by a former Baseball America writer based on Durham, but it looks like may have to pay:

http://www.d1baseball.com/
    Don't know if RPI works the same as in hoops, but if it does, we are looking decent.

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/baseball/d1/rpi

There are 31 automatic bids and 33 at large.

Duke is at 23 in the RPI. 15 of the 22 teams ahead of us are from the SEC or ACC. 17 out of the top 25 are from the SEC or ACC. 13 conferences are represented in the top 33 RPI. The math would lead you to believe the cutoff for making the tournament is down around #40 in RPI.

I saw John Manuel of Baseball America -- and one of the best experts on college basketball -- interviewed tonight from the ACC Tourney.

He said that both UNC and Duke "will be on pins and needles" on Selection Monday. That gibes with what I hear -- it's going to be a close call, either way.

He added that NC State was bidding to host a regional site, but may have lost that with their loss to FSU Tuesday.

Per Baseball America's May 24 projection, Duke is in:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/colle...5Y71ZLop141.97

Who's on the committee?

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Per Baseball America's May 24 projection, Duke is in:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/colle...5Y71ZLop141.97

Who's on the committee?
    They have Duke in and UNC out. If that happens I will be stunned and flabbergasted.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

They have Duke in and UNC out. If that happens I will be stunned and flabbergasted.
    We'll find out Monday, May 30 at noon EDT on ESPNU.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I would do an extra round of the happy dance.

Let's go, Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    I would do an extra round of the happy dance.

Let's go, Duke!
    A ruby slipper happy dance!
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide