Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Duke and the 2016 Olympics

I figured it would be a good idea to have a thread for Duke athletes trying to make the Olympics in various sports.

Ibtihaj Muhammad has already qualified in the Sabre for Fencing.

Rebecca Quinn is with Canada right now trying to make it to the final for CONCACAF to qualify. She did not make it into the game for their opener.

Great idea. Nice article earlier this week in the NYT about Ibtihaj Muhammad the fencer.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/10/sp...=international

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    I figured it would be a good idea to have a thread for Duke athletes trying to make the Olympics in various sports.

Ibtihaj Muhammad has already qualified in the Sabre for Fencing.

Rebecca Quinn is with Canada right now trying to make it to the final for CONCACAF to qualify. She did not make it into the game for their opener.
    Can we include Dukies who have graduated? I believe that Nick McCrory and Abby Johnston (both medalists in 2012) are training and will try to make the U.S. diving team for the 2016 Olympics.
    "I swear Roy must redeem extra timeouts at McDonald's the day after the game for free hamburgers." --Posted on InsideCarolina, 2/18/2015

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B. View Post
    Can we include Dukies who have graduated? I believe that Nick McCrory and Abby Johnston (both medalists in 2012) are training and will try to make the U.S. diving team for the 2016 Olympics.
    Of course. It seemed like a good idea to wait until actual qualifying events to give an update on them. There was a great feature on Abby not that long ago.

Rebecca Quinn started Canada's third game and went the distance, delivering an impressive hat-trick in a 10-0 drubbing of Guatemala as she was deployed further up the field than she usually is at Duke. The key game is on Friday against Costa Rica, where a win will give them the Olympic berth. Of course, even with a win, Rebecca will have to keep battling for a spot on the roster.

Rebecca Quinn came in as a late substitute for Canada as they qualified for the Olympics with a 3-1 win over Costa Rica. They will play the United States on Sunday.

Rebecca Quinn got the start against the United States, but Canada lost 2-0 and she was subbed out at the hour mark. Hopefully she has impressed enough to get a good shot at the final roster when Rio rolls around!

I guess this could also go in other threads.

Marty has been named to the preliminary squad for Lithuania after taking last summer off.

Lindsey Harding has taken a break from the WNBA to try to help Belarus qualify next week. She had 8 points in a 78-68 exhibition win over Poland.

Marty Pocius will probably not make it to the Olympics. The team named a training camp roster that did not include the entire preliminary roster and he was one of the players left off the list. If there is an emergency, he would probably be in contention, but he will more likely spend another summer resting.

Lindsey Harding had 8 points in another exhibition win over Poland. As expected, she was named to the final roster as they head to France for the qualification tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B. View Post
    Nick McCrory retired in 2015. Don't believe he unretired. http://olympics.nbcsports.com/2015/0...etires/http://

Lindsey Harding punches her ticket by leading all scorers with 17 points in 35 minutes in a 56-39 win over Belarus over South Korea. Tatyana Troina had 11 points.
    Boxscore:
    http://www.fiba.com/oqtwomen/2016/19...ore_statistics

Rebecca Quinn has been named to Canada's team:
    http://www.canadasoccer.com/canadian...o-2016-p159642

Abby Johnston and Mackenzie Willborn start qualifying on the 3m Springboard on Tuesday. NBCSN has coverage of the semifinal round starting at 7:00pm ET.

Three Duke divers about to participate in the diving Olympic trials in the men's platform semis on NBC Sports.

Mackenzie bowed out after the quarterfinals, but Abby is still in the hunt after qualifying for the finals in second place. First is the only guaranteed Olympic spot, but second might be enough as there is a big gap behind the leader.

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    Three Duke divers about to participate in the diving Olympic trials in the men's platform semis on NBC Sports.
    Not quite. There's a Duke Diving Club, but the divers themselves are not affiliated with Duke the University.

There's a Duke Diving Club, but the divers themselves are not affiliated with Duke the University.
    I'm just glad Marques Bolden is affiliated with the University of Duke.

Leona Maguire has a good chance of representing Ireland and grad Laetitia Beck Isreal in golf.
    Last edited by SoCalDukeFan; 06-22-2016 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Make clear

Not quite. There's a Duke Diving Club, but the divers themselves are not affiliated with Duke the University.
    That's confusing. I only saw the introduction (I changed it to the USMNT soccer game) and they introduced the divers as "so and so from Duke" and the coaches were wearing Duke gear.

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    That's confusing. I only saw the introduction (I changed it to the USMNT soccer game) and they introduced the divers as "so and so from Duke" and the coaches were wearing Duke gear.
    It's pretty common for college swim and dive coaches to also run USA Swimming or Diving programs using their college facilities. The head diving coach for the Duke University team is Nunzio Esposto, who is also the coach of the "National Team" (i.e., the elite senior divers) at Duke Diving Club. And the Duke Diving Program Director, Katie Hazelton, is also a volunteer assistant coach for the Duke University team. This kind of symbiotic relationship usually works out pretty well for everyone involved.

https://www.teamunify.com/TabGeneric...3010&team=zzdd -- Duke Diving Club coaching staff

http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200 -- Duke Swim and Dive coaching staff

NBC starts coverage of the diving trials finals at 4:30pm ET on Sunday. It was just announced that the United States will get an extra qualification place, so Abby is currently sitting in a place that would advance her.

The USA Swimming Trials will start on Sunday. Preliminaries will be streaming on NBC Sports Live Extra starting at 11:00am ET and tape delayed coverage will be on NBCSN at 6:00pm ET. Finals will be on NBC at 8:00pm ET.

Michael Miller and Roger Kriegl will compete in the 400IM. Verity Abel will also compete in the 400IM. Leah Goldman, Maddie Hess, Maddie Rusch, Kylie Jordan, and Alyssa Marsh will compete in the 100 Fly. Judd Howard, Dylan Payne, and Michael Seaberg compete in the 100 Breast.

NBC starts coverage of the diving trials finals at 4:30pm ET on Sunday. It was just announced that the United States will get an extra qualification place, so Abby is currently sitting in a place that would advance her.

The USA Swimming Trials will start on Sunday. Preliminaries will be streaming on NBC Sports Live Extra starting at 11:00am ET and tape delayed coverage will be on NBCSN at 6:00pm ET. Finals will be on NBC at 8:00pm ET.

Michael Miller and Roger Kriegl will compete in the 400IM. Verity Abel will also compete in the 400IM. Leah Goldman, Maddie Hess, Maddie Rusch, Kylie Jordan, and Alyssa Marsh will compete in the 100 Fly. Judd Howard, Dylan Payne, and Michael Seaberg compete in the 100 Breast.
    I believe that Max St. George will compete in the 100 back at the Olympic Trials.