It's not LOST...

I had to remind myself last night that Heroes has never been LOST. The writing just isn't there. Especially as a comic book fan, the stories are getting predictable and sometimes annoying.

And then I realized: Heroes is a comic book. It is a comic book on TV. Unlike any of the attempts at translating a comic into TV, this was written for TV, by a non-comic writer. In that light, I am very happy with it.

Thoughts: Spoilerific if you haven't seen.

Who did Peter steal the electricity power from?
    How did momma Petrelli know Parkman was reading her mind? Good deduction?
    What is her power? What was Sulu's?
    The season-wide previews are killing me. I knew anders/kensai was not dead when the bandits shot him, because of the previews.
    What the heck does the latina do to people?

Online comics ran all summer - they provide some interesting context.

Exiled

Yeah, lasst week I posted something about how I too have come to grips with the fact that Heroes has no idea what it is doing or where it is going... andd that is ok.

Still, the show exhibits suckiness an awful lot.

Remember when the series began and they kept on talking about how mankind was undergoing an evolution and the such? The show clearly implied that these powers were knew and that this is where man wass going as a species. It was X-Menish.

Well, ignore all that because now we know that people have had powers for hundreds of years. I swear I almost turned off the TV when Kensei healed himself. Grrrrrr. At least be faithful to your initial premise!!!!

--Jason "the depth of the bad and obvious plotting on this show is incredible" Evans

Definitely not Lost

I'm unsure where the confusion between the two shows came in. I thought Lost was billed as Science Fact (with answers in the real world), not Science Fiction? Is it officially Sci Fi now?

Both shows are great, Lost is clearly more frustrating. Lost blows away the acting, music and formula on Heroes, but Heroes has the better writing. Lost characters don't talk to each other like real people. No one ever discusses what they just saw no matter how shocking or important because simply communicating wouldn't drag out the mystery they don't seem to know the answers to. Lost provides no answers, just more questions. If this were Lost you could forget about ever learning what's in the box, it would be forgotten and never mentioned again.

Anyway speculation time (Lots of questions for a show labeled predictable.) I guess we are using invisotext for those who have not seen the episode:

Quote Originally Posted by Exiled_Devil View Post

Obviously we don't yet know. Perhaps at the time of the explosion he traveled far, far into the future (using Hiro's power). He's now back with amped up abilities and secrets in the box?
    Or maybe that's not even Peter?

How did momma Petrelli know Parkman was reading her mind? Good deduction?

That was the only scene with her I've liked so far. Her mental scream at Parkman made me laugh. Plus her admission she had slept with Hiro's dad in the past (Ewwww).

What is her power? What was Sulu's?

Legit questions I'm sure we'll find out soon, as well as who the rest of the seven are.

The season-wide previews are killing me. I knew anders/kensai was not dead when the bandits shot him, because of the previews.

I suspected Hiro would try again to go back in time. I was shocked to see Takezo regenerate. If Hiro hadn't pulled the arrow out I expect he wouldn't have (like Claire can't). Which seems planned when you recall the remarkable way Hiro described Takezo dying last season.

What the heck does the latina do to people?

Very cool new addition of these too. Twins, one with a healing power and the other that of mass death, when separated everyone around her dies. The psychic's delivery of the line "Even the Devil would be afraid of the evil inside her" was haunting, I believed her. Those are some scary tears. People often complain of similar powers between some character on Heroes and some character in another comic. Has there ever been a twin duo like this before? I honestly can't recall anything similar.

Other things great from the last episode: Mr Muggles gave the best performance on the show; both when Claire tried to change the channel on him and when he was trying to point out West in the Sky. Claire is a brave, brave girl; who would admit to a dad like HRG that you didn't even lock the doors on your brand new car? Plus cutting off your pinky toe ("it's a valuable appendage") when you are only 50/50 whether it will grow back. I also liked Mohinder's reasoning to the Haitian about God's plans for him. And of course Hiro's new nickname.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Remember when the series began and they kept on talking about how mankind was undergoing an evolution and the such? The show clearly implied that these powers were knew and that this is where man wass going as a species. It was X-Menish.

Well, ignore all that because now we know that people have had powers for hundreds of years. I swear I almost turned off the TV when Kensei healed himself. Grrrrrr. At least be faithful to your initial premise!!!!
    I definitely recall the evolution discussion but I don't remember any implication the new dna traits were unique to the current generation. Generally speaking, evolution doesn't go from zero people having mutated genes to thousands and thousands of people having mutated genes in one generation. There is an increase with each generation as genetic traits are inherited. And sometimes as in X-Men and Heroes a generation takes a "giant leap forward," meaning it becomes a noticeable part of the population. I don't recall Mohinder ever saying anything contradicting that.

X-Men had mutants as far back as ancient Egypt. It wasn't until the late 20th century that they became a sizable part of the human population.

I'm not sure whether or not this should be in spoiler text, but I'll put it there anyway:
    I thought this came from Nuclear Ted. Remember last season when Ted, Parkman, and HRG escape from the Company's holding cell - HRG tells Ted that he can channel his energy into an EMP to shut down the building's power. So when Peter seized the ability to go Nuclear, he also presumably got the ability to generate the EMPs. How he channeled it to work against people might be a different story...

Do you have any links to the online comics that ran over the summer? I'd love to check them out.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

What's funny is that despite "woeful writing", TWoP continues to give the show A's, while giving more established shows like House and The Office B's. Either TWoP is bad at reviewing, you are bad at reviewing, or to each his/her own.