Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    This has been my only real maddening source of frustration for years. Our women, year after year after year, continuously miss point blank shots. I don't understand how they don't make this fundamental need a point of practice, and if they do, why they continue to fail so miserably at it. Maybe the guys would too, if they couldn't dunk it, but I don't see it as a regular occurrence with other teams as I have with Duke. It doesn't seem to be a universal phenomenon with women's basketball; if it were, it might be less frustrating.
    ANECDOTAL: As a short-ish player, I miss an awful lot of layups. There always seems to be someone coming at you, and if you take your eye off the rim for even an instant to see where the defenders are, you miss.

VAGUE RECOLLECTION: I remember our teams under Coach G missing a lot of layups too. My guess is this doesn't really have to do with Coach P's decisions on what to practice.

COMPARISON: In the men's game, I believe the average shooting percentage at the rim (including dunks and transition opportunities) is just over 60%. I don't have data for the women, but taking away dunks, you'd think the women in general should probably shoot around 50%, or even less, wouldn't you?

DATA POINTS: Stats from our three most recent games:
    Against Miami, Duke shot 40% on layups (8 makes, 12 misses); Miami shot 44% on layups (7 makes, 9 misses).
    Against Virginia, Duke shot 65% on layups (13 makes, 7 misses); Virginia shot 44% on layups (8 makes, 10 misses).
    Against Notre Dame, Duke shot 46% on layups (11 makes, 13 misses); Notre Dame shot 52% on layups (11 makes, 10 misses).

Three game totals:
    Duke: 32 makes, 32 misses; 50%
    Opponents: 26 makes, 29 misses; 47.2%

Yeah, it's only three data points, but I think it might be a universal women's basketball thing. It didn't really seem like our recent opponents missed so many layups, did it? My guess is we notice Duke's misses more. I'd also note that in the three games, Duke attempted 16% more layups than our opponents (64 to 55). If we take more, we're bound to miss more, right?

Quote Originally Posted by aswewere View Post
    "Offense is over-rated." When your coach has this mind set and the players tell you they spend most of there practice time on defense [ WELL ]. I suggested
    to our AD years ago to hire or get a good offensive assistant for her. My way or the highway stubbornness does not belong in coaching.
    Does "my way or the highway stubbornness" belong in internet posting?

If your point relies so heavily on 7-year old quotes, maybe you need to get a new point.

"Offense is over-rated." When your coach has this mind set and the players tell you they spend most of there practice time on defense [ WELL ]. I suggested
    to our AD years ago to hire or get a good offensive assistant for her. My way or the highway stubbornness does not belong in coaching.
    Perhaps Mr. White has stubbornly decided to ignore your advice. I prefer my opinion on the matter to yours, but if Kevin White needs my advice he isn't the great AD I think he is.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post

VAGUE RECOLLECTION: I remember our teams under Coach G missing a lot of layups too. My guess is this doesn't really have to do with Coach P's decisions on what to practice.
    I was about to point this out. I remember people complaining about missed layups long before Coach P came aboard.

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    Perhaps Mr. White has stubbornly decided to ignore your advice. I prefer my opinion on the matter to yours, but if Kevin White needs my advice he isn't the great AD I think he is.
    Some people just don't see the big picture, its the four million dollar it would take to pack her up right now calling the shots.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    ANECDOTAL: As a short-ish player, I miss an awful lot of layups. There always seems to be someone coming at you, and if you take your eye off the rim for even an instant to see where the defenders are, you miss.
    Totally agree, which is why I added the notation about "if the guys couldn't dunk". Although, I have seen so many missed uncontested layups that it is truly maddening. If missing a layup were a drinking game, I'd be toast by halftime.
    Once again, I totally agree. Maybe it is Cameron. I never called out Coach P for this. (I figured aswewere would pick up on it though for his dead horse bat, though.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Some people just don't see the big picture, its the four million dollar it would take to pack her up right now calling the shots.
    That's your story and you're sticking to it. I don't even know what salary she commands, but it would take $200,000 per year for me to put with you for eight years. Only THEN would Kevin and I start talking salary. Maybe he'd throw in a tractor?
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

This is the umpteenth time you've mentioned her salary. Can we keep the jealousy of what other people make off the board?

Kedsy, can you just stop it now with the logic and stats? Don't you know the eye (or is it I) test is much more important?

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Although, I have seen so many missed uncontested layups that it is truly maddening. If missing a layup were a drinking game, I'd be toast by halftime.
    But have you noticed that the opponents miss as many bunnies as we do? I admit that I hadn't -- Duke's missed layups strike me much more forcefully than the other team's.

I only went through the most recent three games, but my bet is no matter how far I went back the numbers would be similar.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    This is the umpteenth time you've mentioned her salary. Can we keep the jealousy of what other people make off the board?

Salary in this old world always comes into play when you are not producing, or worth more than you are paid. What have we received for our $$$$$
    a lot of good assistants, players and fans finding out our team is not there wonderful dream but a nightmare. Taking our elite program down the drain
    has put most fans not looking for more excuses from a coach or her super packs. Lets hear from her for once some accountability that the buck stops
    here and she is going to do whatever it takes to turn this mess around.

So, why don't you and the other negative Nancys just raise the four million and send her on her way? That should not be difficult since according to you, there are thousands of others who want Coach P gone.

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    That's your story and you're sticking to it. I don't even know what salary she commands, but it would take $200,000 per year for me to put with you for eight years. Only THEN would Kevin and I start talking salary. Maybe he'd throw in a tractor?
    We already have her famous tractor. Since she was hired to take us to the next level [ they forgot to tell her up or down ] up seems a little more
    than you think she can achieve. So my question to you is where would you place her celling, so would all no she is max out ??

Don't you think the AD and coaching staff evaluate the program at least annually, if not continuously? The question was raised much earlier in this discussion, if not Coach P, then who is out there? I don't think I've ever seen any suggestions.

Since I can't seem to get a description of the tractor offense, do you think could borrow the tractor portion? I'd love to put in a bigger garden this summer and if I can work the green space out back at night, I might be able to get the ground ready by planting time. I'm sure the HOA won't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Don't you think the AD and coaching staff evaluate the program at least annually, if not continuously? The question was raised much earlier in this discussion, if not Coach P, then who is out there? I don't think I've ever seen any suggestions.

Since I can't seem to get a description of the tractor offense, do you think could borrow the tractor portion? I'd love to put in a bigger garden this summer and if I can work the green space out back at night, I might be able to get the ground ready by planting time. I'm sure the HOA won't mind.
    You don't want this one it just plows up the wrong things here is a message from one.

From the bottom of my heart, I am overwhelmed by all the love and support I've received. The best decision I ever made was to become a Blue Devil. The kindness and caring that has been extended to me is just a small reminder of how wonderful the Duke family truly is...thank you!

Lauren Rice

DWB Class of 2000