Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Exciting news. He looked good in the video. I'm also doubtful of the 4.28 speed. That would tie him for fifth all time in official NFL combine times, only .04 seconds out of first. Nonetheless, he did get easy separation in many of the highlights. Btw, that qb throws an effortless deep ball. Is he on our radar? 😈

Almost Everyone is Faster in HS, but...

SB Nation did a comparison of HS 40's vs. NFL combine 40's a few years ago, and the overwhelming lower times between HS and NFL clocked times appears to be a recognized part of the recruiting game.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foot...ard-dash-times

However, I did find a mention in the Pensacola News Journal which named Damond to their First Team Offense for 2015, and the 4.28 is attributed to a Florida camp-

"WR – Damond Johnson, West Florida

The speedster ran a 4.28 40-yard-dash at the University of Florida over the summer and lived up to the hype this season. Johnson snagged 38 passes for 761 yards and 12 TDs this season, leading West Florida into the postseason."

http://www.pnj.com/story/sports/high...team/77889688/

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrETC View Post
    SB Nation did a comparison of HS 40's vs. NFL combine 40's a few years ago, and the overwhelming lower times between HS and NFL clocked times appears to be a recognized part of the recruiting game.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foot...ard-dash-times

However, I did find a mention in the Pensacola News Journal which named Damond to their First Team Offense for 2015, and the 4.28 is attributed to a Florida camp-

"WR – Damond Johnson, West Florida

The speedster ran a 4.28 40-yard-dash at the University of Florida over the summer and lived up to the hype this season. Johnson snagged 38 passes for 761 yards and 12 TDs this season, leading West Florida into the postseason."

http://www.pnj.com/story/sports/high...team/77889688/
    Wow - 20 yards per catch and 1 out of 3 turns into a TD?
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    Wow - 20 yards per catch and 1 out of 3 turns into a TD?
    You make two exceptional observations. Duke has been looking for the next guy who can take the top off the defense. I'm still not believing the 4.28, but even if he's 4.45 he's a blur. The every third catch leads to a TD part is impressive, and I think all Duke fans would love to see that translate to the next level.

Quote Originally Posted by duke blue brewcrew View Post
    You make two exceptional observations. Duke has been looking for the next guy who can take the top off the defense. I'm still not believing the 4.28, but even if he's 4.45 he's a blur. The every third catch leads to a TD part is impressive, and I think all Duke fans would love to see that translate to the next level.
    Now, if we can adjust the accuracy of that long ball...

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by duke blue brewcrew View Post
    Rahming is an absolute blur, and if I had to bet, I'd bet Rahming is every bit as fast as this guy. But he needs to gain some more strength, run butter
    routes. We're starting to add the speed at WR we lacked last season...(Bracey, a more mature Rahming..)

If I'm honest I'm not sold on this guy yet. His highlight tape is reminiscent of Anthony Nash, and so is his recruiting interest (meaning not much outside of Duke). Unless his recruiting really picks up I think I'll put him in the back of my mind for what should hopefully (but doesn't yet look or sound like) be another monster of a class for duke.

On another note does anyone know how big this class is supposed to be because I think it should be small which means we can be really selective with who we bring in?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Rahming is an absolute blur, and if I had to bet, I'd bet Rahming is every bit as fast as this guy. But he needs to gain some more strength, run butter
    routes. We're starting to add the speed at WR we lacked last season...(Bracey, a more mature Rahming..)
    You're absolutely right, Rahming and Bracey* (yet to play in college as we all know) fit that bill. IMO Rahming needs more strength to take his on the field results to the next level. That will come with time and maturity, and I think he's going to be a great player. Bracey should have the size to go with the speed, combined with what seems to be great talent that should lead to what I hope is great success at the college level.

To be fair with these guys, we can have (and or recruit) all the "blurs" in the world, but without someone to CONSISTENTLY get the ball to them, they bring little to the team. It really doesn't matter how fast they can run the 40, if we have no one, who can accurately throw the ball deep. While I am thrilled with this class and Duke's rise, we are not going to that "next level," until we get the quarterback to take us there..

Quote Originally Posted by OZ View Post
    To be fair with these guys, we can have (and or recruit) all the "blurs" in the world, but without someone to CONSISTENTLY get the ball to them, they bring little to the team. It really doesn't matter how fast they can run the 40, if we have no one, who can accurately throw the ball deep. While I am thrilled with this class and Duke's rise, we are not going to that "next level," until we get the quarterback to take us there..
    Yeah, I think that's pretty obvious, Oz. I mean, you don't avoid recruiting good wide receivers just because your QB has issues. Gotta have a QB, gotta have WRs. Hopefully Cut improves Sirk's long ball accuracy (woeful right now).

Quote Originally Posted by mbird30 View Post
    On another note does anyone know how big this class is supposed to be because I think it should be small which means we can be really selective with who we bring in?
    There are 16 scholarship seniors and redshirt seniors on the roster so that is the starting number. Looking at the redshirt juniors, there are four or five who have work to do to earn a fifth year, plus a football team normally loses one or two players to attrition, so I expect the 2017 class will be around 22 players.
    Bob Green

routes.
    We're starting to add the speed at WR we lacked last season...(Bracey, a more mature Rahming..)
    "Run butter routes?

You're certainly leaving him no margarine for error.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    "Run butter routes?

You'll get creamed if you run sloppy routes, and then curd your luck.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    You'll get creamed if you run sloppy routes, and then curd your luck.
    Spreading yourself pretty thin with posting like that.

Spreading yourself pretty thin with posting like that.
    That cheap shot dairy calls for a response. Pretty cheesy, frankly.

But I am done with these puns and odd fake-butter-related cultural references. "Promise."

"Run butter routes?

Butter routes as in smooth as butter...I shouldn't expect a geriatric case to comprehend modern language!

Butter routes as in smooth as butter...I shouldn't expect a geriatric case to comprehend modern language!
    Ahh, butter routes. Could have been read as "better routes," too, you must admit.

You deserve a pat on the back for that. Now I can roll with what you're trying to convey.

Ahh, butter routes. Could have been read as "better routes," too, you must admit.

You deserve a pat on the back for that. Now I can roll with what you're trying to convey.
    Maybe he was talking about the sizzle and got lost looking for the chedder.

Butter routes as in smooth as butter...
    I can't believe it's not better.

Who could be next to commit?

You would have to believe that Bracey is working on Class of '17 LB from his HS Alma Mater, Benedictine, 4* Ellis Brooks. That would be a nice way to keep the momentum going in the new class!

http://247sports.com/Player/Ellis-Brooks-78046