Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Helton walk-off home run

He's at bat now. I'm calling it before it happens. Witness?

Wrong prediction, wrong board. Geesh. Nevermind.

San Diego's Uniforms

Is that yellow? Gold? What color are those uniforms?

Looks like they hung their white uniforms out to dry on a pollen-filled Atlanta spring day.

I, EarlJam, do not approve of them.

-EarlJam

This inning Helton will get his walk-off home run. I had the right name, just the wrong inning.

-EarlJam

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    This inning Helton will get his walk-off home run. I had the right name, just the wrong inning.

-EarlJam
    partial credit

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    partial credit
    Thanks. At this rate, Chipper Jones will win the batting crown.

Hairston just hit a 2-run dong for San Diego, top 13 no outs.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Colorado comes back with 3 in the 13th to win; Holladay wins batting title but he's hurt sliding in with the winning run. Nuts. Rockies rough up Trevor Hoffman.

ETA: the announcers are fairly clear that the home ump blew the call. Should be 2 out and 8-8.
    Last edited by throatybeard; 10-02-2007 at 12:21 AM.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    ETA: the announcers are fairly clear that the home ump blew the call. Should be 2 out and 8-8.
    Then it makes up for the non-home run earlier in the game. The ROckies deserved to win.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Then it makes up for the non-home run earlier in the game. The ROckies deserved to win.
    It is 9:02 a.m. on Tuesday morning and I am just finding out that the Rockies won. The Rockies won?! I went to bed after the two run blast by San Diego. I missed a heck of an ending, huh? Guess I deserved it. Bummer.

But I WAS pulling for the Rockies.

Cubs vs. Indians World Series. Gonna be a great one.

-EarlJam

Cubs vs. Indians World Series. Gonna be a great one.

-EarlJam
    Ten years ago this month our beloved O's blew it against the Indians in the ALCS, and I still haven't gotten over it. So EarlJam, if your prediction is correct, I will be pulling for the Cubbies. Are you with me on this one?

It is 9:02 a.m. on Tuesday morning and I am just finding out that the Rockies won. The Rockies won?! I went to bed after the two run blast by San Diego. I missed a heck of an ending, huh? Guess I deserved it. Bummer.

-EarlJam
    I watched a few innings from the DEN airport. I had to catch my flight after the 10th. The pilot put the KOA broadcast of the game on the in-flight entertainment, and I listened to it through the top of the 13th. Then I turned it off... I found out the result once I got home.

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    Ten years ago this month our beloved O's blew it against the Indians in the ALCS, and I still haven't gotten over it. So EarlJam, if your prediction is correct, I will be pulling for the Cubbies. Are you with me on this one?
    Absolutely! Go CUBS!!!!

absolutely absurd game last night -- 13 inning winner take all with both teams scoring in the 13th? just crazy.

pretty stoked I stayed up to watch it after watching the patriots kill.

Absolutely! Go CUBS!!!!
    That's what I like to hear.

My wife (Denver native) also went to bed after the 2-run homer. I called her after the Rockies won and woke her up. She was stunned and pissed she turned it off.

rockies win!! Or do they?

I stayed up for the finale ... and the controversy.

What a great game and a great (at least exciting) finish. The controversy overshadows the fact that for the second time in three days, one of the great closers in baseball history couldn't close out a game that would have put his team in the playoffs.

Now to the final run ... I think, after watching a million replays, that Halliday missed the plate.

Nevertheless, the safe call was correct.

Why? Because Barrett was guilty of one of those consistently uncalled rule violations that drive me so crazy. No matter what is written in the rules, there are some rules that umpires simply refuse to enforce. One is the "neighborhood" play at second base, when a middle infielder trying to make a turn on a double play misses the bag ... but it's almost never called.

Well, almost nobody seems to remember that in baseball, BY RULE, IT IS ILLEGAL FOR A CATCHER TO BLOCK THE PLATE UNLESS HE HAS THE BALL IN HIS POSSESSION. Technically, he can't block it while waiting for the ball to arrive ... yet, you almost never see that called.

In this case, Halliday missed the plate because Barrett's foot blocked his hand and Barrett never had the ball -- he couldn't field the short hop and it rolled away from. I think the ump's late and halfhearted call was because he was waiting to see whether Barrett had come up with the ball (although that excuses the delay in the call, it doesn't explain why the call wasn't more emphatic ... as an ump you're taught to sell a close call!).

By rule, Halliday should have been called safe due to interference, even though he missed the plate ... but I doubt the umps will offer that rationale for the blown call.

Sorry for the rant, but I hate these rules that are usually ignored, but seem to be enforced at the worst, craziest times. Football celebration rules are like that ... I'll give you one example, Duke lost a game at Virginia in 1997 when Chris Combs celebrated the game-clinching sack by popping up and saluting the Virginia crowd (no real taunting ... nothing obscene or outrageous). Technically, the right call as the rules were written -- a 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty that allowed UVa to drive for the winning score, but a rule interpretation that was almost never enforced (that same season, the FSU kicker celebrated his game-winning field goal at Florida by making the Gator chops at the Florida crowd -- and THE SAME OFFICIATING CREW didn't throw the flag).

I saw Butler lose a first-round NCAA Tournament game to Florida in 2000 when the refs called a hanging on the rim technical in the final minute -- again, a right call, but one that's so rarely enforced that when it is, it's a travesty. Daniel Ewing ran into some similar selective enforcement late in his senior season.

In this case, I think it's funny that a rule the umps refuse to enforce is the only logical way for baseball to avoid admitting that a crucial game was decided by the wrong call!!!

No matter what is written in the rules, there are some rules that umpires simply refuse to enforce. One is the "neighborhood" play at second base, when a middle infielder trying to make a turn on a double play misses the bag ... but it's almost never called.
    Far worse than the neighborhood play are baserunners intentionally sliding into fielders, rather than straight into the base. As long as this is tolerated I'm cool with the neighborhood play.

I also stopped watching after the top of the 13th. I guess that is why it isn't over til its over.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Well, almost nobody seems to remember that in baseball, BY RULE, IT IS ILLEGAL FOR A CATCHER TO BLOCK THE PLATE UNLESS HE HAS THE BALL IN HIS POSSESSION. Technically, he can't block it while waiting for the ball to arrive ... yet, you almost never see that called.
    I've actually had this called on me in a low-level co-ed softball game. I often cover home because our catcher can't catch the ball and despite the fact that I had the ball before the person was halfway home the idiot ump called her safe. I guess we play with an extreme version of the rule.

Definition of obstruction from the Major League Baseball Official Rules Book.

Section 2.

"OBSTRUCTION is the act of a fielder who, while not in possession of the ball, and not in the act of fielding the ball, impedes the progress of any runner. If a fielder is about to receive a thrown ball and if the ball is in flight directly toward and near enough to the fielder so that he must ocupy his position to receive the ball he may be considered "in the act of fielding a ball." "

Judgment call of course.

I am unaware of any provision that exempts the catcher from this protection.