Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Play for day one has ended. Three weather delays kept one-half the field from even teeing off. Our man Streels, however, is doing great. Tied for fourth at -1 after 16 holes (finishing on 8 and 9).
    Maybe if he stays in the top five for the rest of the tournament, he can get 30 seconds on television.

Smile

They did show one birdie putt.

Streelman and TV

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Maybe if he stays in the top five for the rest of the tournament, he can get 30 seconds on television.
    My favorite re: Kevin and TV was his win at Hartford. He was just burning up the back nine on Sunday, and they were still ignoring him. Someone "in the truck" had to work double time to package highlights when it was clear he was lapping the field and might win.

Streelman has shot 69-74-69 for the first three rounds. He stands at +2, tied for 12th.

It will get interesting today. Ireland''s Shane Lowry leads at -5, but hasn't finished round three. Dustin Johnson is T-3 at -2.

Kevin is playing solid par golf today with the exception of a bogey on the 10th. He stands at 3 over, but has several birdie opportunities (as shown by his past rounds) in the remaining holes. If he could finish at +1, he likely could finish in the top ten.

But why is he wearing that pale shade of blue??

Alas!

The birdies didn't come, and bogeys on 17 and 18 hurt, but Kevin nevertheless takes home 1/10th of what Dustin Johnson does.

It is the Quicken Loans National this weekend, at Congressional CC in Bethesda, with Kevin Streelman teeing off at 1 pm on Thursday afternoon.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    It is the Quicken Loans National this weekend, at Congressional CC in Bethesda, with Kevin Streelman teeing off at 1 pm on Thursday afternoon.
    Streels is having another good tournament, tied for 13th going into Sunday's final at Bethesda. He stands at -5, trailing the leader by a bunch but can make the top-10 with a good round today. He is 56th in FedEx cup points, a qualifying position for the money-rich tournament at the end of the season. He ranks 98th in the world.*

Here are Kevin's stats for the season. Interesting, he is 17th on the PGA Tour in greens-in-regulation (percent of holes in which the player is on the green with two putts for par). He is 140th in putting, however, although doing much better the last few weeks.

Kindly,
    Sage Grouse
    *Somehow the world golf organization has come up with a way to rank players across the many different tours -- Alps Tour Golf, Asian Development Tour, Asian Tour, EuroPro Tour, European Challenge Tour, Japan Golf Tour, Korean Golf Tour, MENA Golf Tour, Nordic Golf League, OneAsia, PGA European Tour, PGA Tour, PGA Tour Canada, PGA Tour China, PGA Tour Latinoamérica, PGA Tour of Australasia, ProGolf Tour, Sunshine Tour and Web.com Tour. No doubt Kedsy is offering constructive advice.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

... Here are Kevin's stats for the season. Interesting, he is 14th in greens-in-regulation (percent of holes in which the player is on the green with two putts for par). He is 140th in putting, however, although doing much better the last few weeks. ...[/U]
    I found a way to mess with those metrics. I throw a chip in between putts. Sometimes a sand wedge, and an occasional half wedge. Rarely more than a full wedge.

Some say I am too "aggressive" with my first putt, and my second, and third ... but "never up, never in!"

So you have played Oakmont !

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    So you have played Oakmont !
    I actually did play it years ago during an Open year when they were letting the rough grow to "Open" length and had the first and second cuts growing in. The greens were ungodly fast but even still had not been cut or rolled to Open condition.

Don't think I hit a drive that stayed in the fairway, but hit many into the second cut or the rough that plunged the hole into crisis management. What is tough to tell from the TV coverage is just how difficult it is to judge distance or landing spots due to the terrain. The few times I felt I had hit a good shot I would arrive at the green to find that ball had escaped the putting surface. It got to the point where I would get a feeling of dread if I hit the ball the way I wanted, expecting the worst. I remember being foolish enough to try to hit a 6 iron out of the rough.

I never expect to putt well or even score well, but that course was demoralizing. The only bright spot for me was the sand, is was tremendous and consistent. Of course I get lots and lots of practice on my sand shots - sometimes between putts.

And Wes Roach

Streels is having another good tournament, tied for 13th going into Sunday's final at Bethesda. He stands at -5, trailing the leader by a bunch but can make the top-10 with a good round today. He is 56th in FedEx cup points, a qualifying position for the money-rich tournament at the end of the season. He ranks 98th in the world.*

Here are Kevin's stats for the season. Interesting, he is 17th on the PGA Tour in greens-in-regulation (percent of holes in which the player is on the green with two putts for par). He is 140th in putting, however, although doing much better the last few weeks.

Kindly,
    Sage Grouse
    *Somehow the world golf organization has come up with a way to rank players across the many different tours -- Alps Tour Golf, Asian Development Tour, Asian Tour, EuroPro Tour, European Challenge Tour, Japan Golf Tour, Korean Golf Tour, MENA Golf Tour, Nordic Golf League, OneAsia, PGA European Tour, PGA Tour, PGA Tour Canada, PGA Tour China, PGA Tour Latinoamérica, PGA Tour of Australasia, ProGolf Tour, Sunshine Tour and Web.com Tour. No doubt Kedsy is offering constructive advice.
    And Wes Roach in 10th place. The other Dukie with exempt status this year, Wes needs a couple of high finishes to make top 125 and maintain status for next season. A top 5 today would be a huge help.

Kevin finished in T-12 and Wes in T-29 at the Quicken Loans tournament at Congressional CC.
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    I actually did play it years ago during an Open year when they were letting the rough grow to "Open" length and had the first and second cuts growing in. The greens were ungodly fast but even still had not been cut or rolled to Open condition.

Don't think I hit a drive that stayed in the fairway, but hit many into the second cut or the rough that plunged the hole into crisis management. What is tough to tell from the TV coverage is just how difficult it is to judge distance or landing spots due to the terrain. The few times I felt I had hit a good shot I would arrive at the green to find that ball had escaped the putting surface. It got to the point where I would get a feeling of dread if I hit the ball the way I wanted, expecting the worst. I remember being foolish enough to try to hit a 6 iron out of the rough.

I never expect to putt well or even score well, but that course was demoralizing. The only bright spot for me was the sand, is was tremendous and consistent. Of course I get lots and lots of practice on my sand shots - sometimes between putts.
    Your last sentence was funny. Driving the ball and putting used to be the best part of my game. But lately that's changed. The senior tees help more than anything. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Your last sentence was funny. Driving the ball and putting used to be the best part of my game. But lately that's changed. The senior tees help more than anything. GoDuke!
    Agree. In my younger days my story was--on in 2, off in 3, back on in 4 and 2 putt.

"The Open" is at Troon in Scotland. Kevin is not in the field, but is the second alternate, and deciding whether to take the journey per this tweet.

He also sent a tweet congratulating Brittany.
    Sage Grouse

Streels at even par,along with Bubba,Spieth,McIlroy. Reed and Laird leading at -5 after 1st round of the Barclay at Bethpage.

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    Streels at even par,along with Bubba,Spieth,McIlroy. Reed and Laird leading at -5 after 1st round of the Barclay at Bethpage.
    The Barclay's at Bethpage Black is the first event of the four-tournament FedEx Cup, culminating in the Tour Championship at East Lake Golf Club in Atlanta on September 22-25. The four tournaments feature, in turn, the top 125, 100, 70 and 30 players based on FedEx Cup points. Streelman began the Barclay's in 73rd position; he is now tied for 33rd in the Barclay's after one round.
    Sage Grouse

Streelman shot a 67 today and is tied for 4th place at -5. Rickie Fowler is the leader at -8 through 12 holes.
    Bob Green