Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33
  1. #1

    JJ Redick hosting weekly podcast

    JJ Redick is going to host a weekly podcast on Adrian Wojnarowski's The Vertical network. http://federalnewsradio.com/sports-n...eekly-podcast/

    This could be really cool. It appears to be the first time an active player of his caliber has hosted a weekly podcast in any sport.
    Redick has indicated he will discuss a number of topics and not just basketball. Could be some very interesting perspectives on the sport.

    First one is released next Tuesday.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by dukenilnil View Post
    JJ Redick is going to host a weekly podcast on Adrian Wojnarowski's The Vertical network. http://federalnewsradio.com/sports-n...eekly-podcast/

    This could be really cool. It appears to be the first time an active player of his caliber has hosted a weekly podcast in any sport.
    Redick has indicated he will discuss a number of topics and not just basketball. Could be some very interesting perspectives on the sport.

    First one is released next Tuesday.
    I'm in on this. JJ is a talented, interesting, articulate young man. I hope this is a success.

  3. #3
    I listened to episode #1. I thought it was pretty good, and that JJ did a pretty good job. His guest was Jared Dudley. They reminisced a bit about some of the Duke vs BC games that they participated in, but most of the podcast was NBA-focused.

    One point I found interesting was that Dudley mentioned that when he was a HS/college player, he was totally focused on getting to the NBA, while JJ said he never really thought about the NBA -- just about getting to Duke and then, once at Duke, getting to the final 4, making All-American, etc.

    Another item of interest (to me, anyway) is that I found JJ to be a likable guy in some respects (family-focused, humble about his NBA skills and accomplishments) but a bit vain in other respects (pretty confident about how good his podcast is going to be, not shy about describing himself as an interesting and knowledgeable person).

    In any case, I think those who enjoy basketball podcasts will enjoy this one.
    __________________________


    We didn't read the stories that said "Send in the Rebels and send out the clowns."
    And we didn't lose by 30.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by 79-77 View Post
    Another item of interest (to me, anyway) is that I found JJ to be a likable guy in some respects (family-focused, humble about his NBA skills and accomplishments) but a bit vain in other respects (pretty confident about how good his podcast is going to be, not shy about describing himself as an interesting and knowledgeable person).
    Ha, exact same thoughts. I think part of it is there is a very fine line between being 'ironic' about how great something you're doing is going to be (a subtle reverse humblebrag), and just saying it's going to be great. I'll give him a little bit of slack because he's an athlete, and he really is the best in the world at certain things (and him and his colleagues are all aware of that and work very hard to earn that). I'll consider it a bleedover from that, unless it ends up happening every podcast, then I might give up on listening to current athletes for a while (remember Lebron's motivational speech before his first game back in Cleveland? Lol Knicks).

    But yea, the overrated segment wouldn't have been my choice for a first podcast. You're bound to bash lots of things people hold dear. I mean I love me some Bruce, but calling the Beatles overrated on your inaugural public podcast? That's a bold move Cotton.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by huey View Post
    I mean I love me some Bruce, but calling the Beatles overrated on your inaugural public podcast? That's a bold move Cotton.
    He called the Beatles overrated? I'll have to tune in next time.

    Fearful Disclaimer: I like the Beatles, I just think there are superior musicians.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by 79-77 View Post
    ...Jared Dudley...

    ...I found JJ to be a likable guy in some respects (family-focused, humble about his NBA skills and accomplishments) but a bit vain in other respects (pretty confident about how good his podcast is going to be, not shy about describing himself as an interesting and knowledgeable person)...
    1. Never will I forget young Dudley just tearing the cretins a new one at the ACC Tourney and the moment where I noticed the sniggering of presently on sabbatical H43 and I knew I had made a pal for life...

    2. Well, sure. JJ does have a Duke degree and none of us are shy about admitting we are interesting and knowledgeable, RIGHT??!
    It's just a public service on our part!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Portland, OR
    I know there was a thread last week advertising Chris Collins' appearance on the podcast. That was definitely a great listen, as described in that thread. On Monday, JJ's guest was Jay Williams. It was a very different interview, but it was really fun. I was at Duke 00-04, so I over lapped with each of them for two years.

    Highlights for me included:
    *Discussion of who would be Duke's leading scorer if Jay/JJ played together for a year
    *Jay's description of the locker room after Shane's senior game loss
    *Discussion of what sets K apart
    *Grayson/Brandon NBA prospects
    *Story about JJ/Jay playing pick up the day before Jay's accident


    I was so enjoying the podcast, that I was almost tempted to buy-in to JJ's sales pitch for Omaha steaks.

    Here the link.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    The Beach
    Glad this was bumped with who the guest is this week. In my weekly podcast listening at work I ALWAYS forget about checking into see who JJ has on. I listened to the Collins podcast last week and it was tremendous, I can only assume this will e just as good.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post
    I know there was a thread last week advertising Chris Collins' appearance on the podcast. That was definitely a great listen, as described in that thread. On Monday, JJ's guest was Jay Williams. It was a very different interview, but it was really fun. I was at Duke 00-04, so I over lapped with each of them for two years.

    Highlights for me included:
    *Discussion of who would be Duke's leading scorer if Jay/JJ played together for a year
    *Jay's description of the locker room after Shane's senior game loss
    *Discussion of what sets K apart
    *Grayson/Brandon NBA prospects
    *Story about JJ/Jay playing pick up the day before Jay's accident


    I was so enjoying the podcast, that I was almost tempted to buy-in to JJ's sales pitch for Omaha steaks.

    Here the link.
    I'll never ever forget this. I was there that day. I was fortunate to be a Duke basketball camper that summer (went every summer from 01-05) and as a kid I got to meet a lot of the players from that special era. I was a 9 year old in the summer of 03, and I remember Jay (among others) speaking to us at Cameron usually we'd sit on the baseline or sidelines while the speaker did there thing.

    Most of those summers Coach Dawkins or Collins introduce this basic drill called that would basically establish your base shooting range. Basically you start at the front of the basketball and you take a step back after each bucket, but once you miss three times in the same place that basically would give you an idea of your shooting range. Jay did this drill that day before the alumni game and made it the the free throw line on the the other side of the court. As a nine year old and still as a 20 something that blew my mind. Then I remember hearing the news about his accident on the Durham radio shortly after. I couldn't believe it. Thought he'd comeback, he did just not in the way I nor maybe what he expected.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Mount Kisco, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by Trey21 View Post
    I'll never ever forget this. I was there that day. I was fortunate to be a Duke basketball camper that summer (went every summer from 01-05) and as a kid I got to meet a lot of the players from that special era. I was a 9 year old in the summer of 03, and I remember Jay (among others) speaking to us at Cameron usually we'd sit on the baseline or sidelines while the speaker did there thing.

    Most of those summers Coach Dawkins or Collins introduce this basic drill called that would basically establish your base shooting range. Basically you start at the front of the basketball and you take a step back after each bucket, but once you miss three times in the same place that basically would give you an idea of your shooting range. Jay did this drill that day before the alumni game and made it the the free throw line on the the other side of the court. As a nine year old and still as a 20 something that blew my mind. Then I remember hearing the news about his accident on the Durham radio shortly after. I couldn't believe it. Thought he'd comeback, he did just not in the way I nor maybe what he expected.
    Good story about camp. Both the Collins and Williams JJ pods are required listening for any Duke fan as you get a non-sanitized version of life within the program. Both podcasts made it sound like JJ was really wilding out during his first two years, and you also, via the Jason Williams edition, get a version of K's post Boozer injury "if you listen to me we'll win the title" speech complete with multiple 12 letter stand-ins for someone who commits incest. I always love a peek at unsanitized K. The other thing you get listening to JJs pod is how much he has tried to sort of divorce himself from the persona he created at Duke, and his NCAA Tournament failures, yet you also sense how close at hand they are. He starts the pod talking about how he rarely reflects on his time at Duke because he tries to stay "in the moment" yet later, in talking about his tournament failures, he says, "I think about those games all the time!" There is also a fun debate between the two of them about an interesting question - if Jason had stayed for his senior year, which of them winds up breaking Johnny D's all time scoring record, or do neither of them?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    The Beach
    Listened to the podcast yesterday and it was great. They brought up at one point when Jay Williams, Boozer and Dunleavy all left right before JJ came in. I couldn't even begin to fathom how good a team with JJ, J.Will, Boozer and Dunleavy would have been. That team in my opinion could have went undefeated, of course I'm bias but just think about that squad.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Mount Kisco, NY
    To catch everyone up, JJ had a podcast when Adrian Woj was with Yahoo. When Woj went to ESPN, one assumes JJ was cut loose and he landed with Lebron/MavCarter. That relationship lasted one episode and then he went to Bill Simmons' The Ringer, where he currently resides.

    The Sixers and Celtics played in London yesterday and JJ and his guest, Kyrie, recorded this pod right after the game.

    https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/1...tics-cavaliers

    JJ launches right into the "flat earth" conspiracy theories and Kyrie indulges him. Had JJ kept it going, they were headed into 9/11 conspiracy territory. That is already starting to make twitter impact, but I was more interested in JJ saying that when he visited the team after K had started with the USA Team, he says "K went soft" in that he wasn't riding guys as hard. In fact, he goes on to say that Duke practices have really changed, and they are more individual skill work, etc. Maybe that's why our defense stinks?!?!?!?!?!?

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    To catch everyone up, JJ had a podcast when Adrian Woj was with Yahoo. When Woj went to ESPN, one assumes JJ was cut loose and he landed with Lebron/MavCarter. That relationship lasted one episode and then he went to Bill Simmons' The Ringer, where he currently resides.

    The Sixers and Celtics played in London yesterday and JJ and his guest, Kyrie, recorded this pod right after the game.

    https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/1...tics-cavaliers

    JJ launches right into the "flat earth" conspiracy theories and Kyrie indulges him. Had JJ kept it going, they were headed into 9/11 conspiracy territory. That is already starting to make twitter impact, but I was more interested in JJ saying that when he visited the team after K had started with the USA Team, he says "K went soft" in that he wasn't riding guys as hard. In fact, he goes on to say that Duke practices have really changed, and they are more individual skill work, etc. Maybe that's why our defense stinks?!?!?!?!?!?
    Very interesting insight from JJ about the contents of Duke's practices.

    But very, very, very disappointing regarding the level of indulgence that they provided to each other on various conspiracy theories.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    To catch everyone up, JJ had a podcast when Adrian Woj was with Yahoo. When Woj went to ESPN, one assumes JJ was cut loose and he landed with Lebron/MavCarter. That relationship lasted one episode and then he went to Bill Simmons' The Ringer, where he currently resides.

    The Sixers and Celtics played in London yesterday and JJ and his guest, Kyrie, recorded this pod right after the game.

    https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/1...tics-cavaliers

    JJ launches right into the "flat earth" conspiracy theories and Kyrie indulges him. Had JJ kept it going, they were headed into 9/11 conspiracy territory. That is already starting to make twitter impact, but I was more interested in JJ saying that when he visited the team after K had started with the USA Team, he says "K went soft" in that he wasn't riding guys as hard. In fact, he goes on to say that Duke practices have really changed, and they are more individual skill work, etc. Maybe that's why our defense stinks?!?!?!?!?!?
    Dinosaurs. Jesus H Mary and Joseph. Dinosaurs...
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

    President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NC
    Also, ďI was doing a lot of research on Instagram...Ē

    Really, guys? Really?

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Hingeknocker View Post
    Very interesting insight from JJ about the contents of Duke's practices.

    But very, very, very disappointing regarding the level of indulgence that they provided to each other on various conspiracy theories.
    Why does Kyrie have to conform to what we expect an athlete to be? He is clearly a stellar ball player. He has never had any off the court legal issues. So he has wackadoo ideas he likes to spout off. He can be thr Spooky Mulder of the NBA.

    I just don't buy the idea that becausr he wore a Duke uniform, he owes the institution to comport himself in a certain way; as long as he is an upstanding citizen, let him say what he likes. Certainly all of us do.

    Maybe he will be the next Bill Walton commentator. Who knows.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Why does Kyrie have to conform to what we expect an athlete to be? He is clearly a stellar ball player. He has never had any off the court legal issues. So he has wackadoo ideas he likes to spout off. He can be thr Spooky Mulder of the NBA.

    I just don't buy the idea that becausr he wore a Duke uniform, he owes the institution to comport himself in a certain way; as long as he is an upstanding citizen, let him say what he likes. Certainly all of us do.

    Maybe he will be the next Bill Walton commentator. Who knows.
    He doesnít have to conform. He can be as crazy as he wants within the law.

    But likewise, we arenít all obligated to avoid disappointment when he spouts off crazy stuff, nor are we required to defend his crazy talk.

    He is a very talented bball player though.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    He doesnít have to conform. He can be as crazy as he wants within the law.

    But likewise, we arenít all obligated to avoid disappointment when he spouts off crazy stuff, nor are we required to defend his crazy talk.

    He is a very talented bball player though.
    And has a decent understanding of how to market himself (at least he has people who know). The dude is third - THIRD - in All-Star voting (more than Curry or Durant). Kyrie is an amazingly talented bball player, but I'm not sure he's top 10.

    Uncle Drew, the commercials, his "weirdness"... it all works!
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

    President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Why does Kyrie have to conform to what we expect an athlete to be? He is clearly a stellar ball player. He has never had any off the court legal issues. So he has wackadoo ideas he likes to spout off. He can be thr Spooky Mulder of the NBA.

    I just don't buy the idea that becausr he wore a Duke uniform, he owes the institution to comport himself in a certain way; as long as he is an upstanding citizen, let him say what he likes. Certainly all of us do.

    Maybe he will be the next Bill Walton commentator. Who knows.
    This has nothing to do with what I expect of athletes, and everything to do with what I expect of human beings living in the year 2018.

    (That's probably the extent to which this could/should be discussed here.)

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Hingeknocker View Post
    This has nothing to do with what I expect of athletes, and everything to do with what I expect of human beings living in the year 2018.

    (That's probably the extent to which this could/should be discussed here.)
    Understood.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-28-2016, 03:41 PM
  2. Coach Cut hosting David Glenn Show 7/9/14
    By Dev11 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-16-2014, 09:39 PM
  3. WSoc Hosting NCAA Second and Third Rounds
    By burnspbesq in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-17-2013, 02:28 PM
  4. Video Hosting Site?
    By I_am_a_Blue_Devil in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-26-2009, 07:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •