Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Deadspin picked up on it. http://deadspin.com/kyrie-ivrings-an...fth-1822029998

I often think Deadspin is undeservedly harsh on Duke players, but not in this case.

9/11 is an inside job? Cmon J.J.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I just don't buy the idea that becausr he wore a Duke uniform, he owes the institution to comport himself in a certain way; as long as he is an upstanding citizen, let him say what he likes.
    Maybe for Kyrie. But JJ Redick graduated with a history degree from Duke, and half of this board just spent years on a soap box railing (mostly justifiably) against fake degrees from a rival school. Pretty lame of these two guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Maybe for Kyrie. But JJ Redick graduated with a history degree from Duke, and half of this board just spent years on a soap box railing (mostly justifiably) against fake degrees from a rival school. Pretty lame of these two guys.
    and this is where we are headed without higher education as a pillar of our path to adulthood...juxtapose JJ's podcast with Kyrie and the article in today's WSJ titled "Studying Western Civilization in the South Bronx" and you have the makings of a vital debate needed in our country for all citizens, family members and institutions, both private and public.
    "I wanted it to be in my hands," Roach said of his game-sealing drive. "I wanted to take—I wanted that moment."

"Definitely was a bit personal for me," Roach added. "I mean, what happened last year, obviously, but just wanted to come out here and do anything I can to get this win, and we did that." Duke-Carolina, Cameron Indoor, Feb. 4th 2023

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Yeah, I am far more bothered by a dude with a history degree from Duke doubting that dinosaurs exist than I am about a guy who attended for 1 year thinking the Earth is flat... though both are pretty darn embarrassing. Sigh...

-Jason "I want to assure everyone that the entire DBR podcast team believes in a round planet and dinosaurs" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I honestly don't understand why people are upset about this. Do you really think banter like this on a podcast reflects poorly on the university?

I mean, yes, it isn't ideal. I just don't understand why we fans feel former players have to say certain things or keep their mouths shut. If Battier wanted to question the existence of black holes, if Boozer wants to start an atheism book club, if Dunleavy wants to join the Freemasons... Well, good for all of them.

I still feel there's a good chance Irving and JJ are clowning people for clicks (though Kyrie's clarifying statements sound pretty thin), but if not - who cares? They don't owe us anything.

Anyways, I will shut up on it. I find JJ's comments that K has gone soft much more interesting than dino-chat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I honestly don't understand why people are upset about this. Do you really think banter like this on a podcast reflects poorly on the university?

I mean, yes, it isn't ideal. I just don't understand why we fans feel former players have to say certain things or keep their mouths shut. If Battier wanted to question the existence of black holes, if Boozer wants to start an atheism book club, if Dunleavy wants to join the Freemasons... Well, good for all of them.

I still feel there's a good chance Irving and JJ are clowning people for clicks (though Kyrie's clarifying statements sound pretty thin), but if not - who cares? They don't owe us anything.

Anyways, I will shut up on it. I find JJ's comments that K has gone soft much more interesting than dino-chat.
    I am not concerned about the university in this regard, but where we are going as a nation and generally across the globe
    "I wanted it to be in my hands," Roach said of his game-sealing drive. "I wanted to take—I wanted that moment."

"Definitely was a bit personal for me," Roach added. "I mean, what happened last year, obviously, but just wanted to come out here and do anything I can to get this win, and we did that." Duke-Carolina, Cameron Indoor, Feb. 4th 2023

Quote Originally Posted by Duke76 View Post
    I am not concerned about the university in this regard, but where we are going as a nation and generally across the globe
    Well, I agree with you there. But I have far bigger concerns than what two former Duke players say on a podcast.

8. Listening to the podcast, I think it’s pretty clear that Kyrie is trolling and doesn’t actually believe the world is flat.

As for JJ’s conspiracy theory, off the top of my head...oil is also a relatively modern phenomenon? Just because something wasn’t talked about in the dark ages doesn’t mean it didn’t exist. The means and incentive to discover dinosaur bones may have only existed in the last 150 years.

Plus, dragons.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Yeah, I am far more bothered by a dude with a history degree from Duke doubting that dinosaurs exist than I am about a guy who attended for 1 year thinking the Earth is flat... though both are pretty darn embarrassing. Sigh...

-Jason "I want to assure everyone that the entire DBR podcast team believes in a round planet and dinosaurs" Evans
    JJ didn't say that he doesn't believe dinosaurs exist. He prefaced the entire statement by saying "I know this isn't right." All he was saying is that it's easy to create self-doubt about things we know to be true.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

Is there really evidence that JJ graduated from Duke with a history degree? I certainly have not seen it with my own eyes. I am not so sure.

I think it's pretty clear from the podcast that JJ thinks dinosaurs exist and Kyrie doesn't think the world is flat. They both have a lot of spare time on their hands travelling around and staying in hotels all over the world and they're talking about how easy it is to fall into the various conspiracy theory rabbit holes out there. Also it's 1 am and they're drinking some wine and having laughs.

The rest of the podcast is awesome too and I highly recommend listening to the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by magjayran View Post
    I think it's pretty clear from the podcast that JJ thinks dinosaurs exist and Kyrie doesn't think the world is flat. They both have a lot of spare time on their hands travelling around and staying in hotels all over the world and they're talking about how easy it is to fall into the various conspiracy theory rabbit holes out there. Also it's 1 am and they're drinking some wine and having laughs.

The rest of the podcast is awesome too and I highly recommend listening to the whole thing.
    Thanks for this. I came to this thread last night to talk about how I enjoyed this podcast and was stopped in my tracks by the wall of embarrassment that’s been constructed. I agree with your sentiments overall. I thought they were being goofy. Maybe some part of them wants to believe a few of the conspiracies. Maybe some part of them gets sucked in to poor internet sources. So what? They’re just a couple of guys tossing ideas around. They are both thoughtful and articulate. They both have great work ethic and sportsmanship. I am proud that they’re both Dukies.

Anyway, I enjoyed Kyrie talking about how he developed his finishing moves and about how he sees himself as a creator. JJ oozed admiration for what Kyrie did last summer. The discussion about Duke practices was interesting and while the emphasis has been on softer in-season practices, Kyrie said that K ran them ragged in the summer.

Even if you need to skip the beginning, I would recommend giving it a listen.

Quote Originally Posted by magjayran View Post
    The next time Duke loses an NCAA tournament game (which I don't think will be this year), can you please give me some of your koolaid so I can not sulk for the following week?

For those still worried about JJ, he clarified his position on dinosaurs in his latest podcast. I’ll just leave that cliffhanger here.

The Thierry Henry interview pod is a spectacular listen, too, so let me throw a hearty endorsement to the board. I'm a Gunners fan, so I got particular enjoyment from that, but even if I wasn't (or didn't give one lick about soccer), I'd still recommend checking it out.