Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The day's action started in Manila with the semifinals. Canada knew that they would have a tough time with New Zealand, but edged the second half to win 78-72. Cory Joseph was critical again with 23 points as Tristan Thompson added 13 points and 10 rebounds and ex-Iowa State player Melvin Ejim had 13 points and 7 rebounds. In the loss, ex-NAIA player Corey Webster had 21 points, ex-Washington State player Tom Abercrombie had 16 points and 6 rebounds, and Nebraska's Tai Webster had 15 points and 10 rebounds. France joins then in the final after a 75-63 win over Turkey. Ex-NBA player Nando De Colo had 13 points and Joffrey Lauvergne had 11 points. In the loss, Omer Asik finally emerged with 19 points, ex-NBA player Semih Erden had 11 points and 7 rebounds, and naturalized ex-Troy player Bobby Dixon, who is also known by his Turkish name Ali Muhammed, had 11 points.
    Boxscores:
    http://www.fiba.com/oqt/philippines/...ore_statistics

Serbia jumped out to an enormous lead in Belgrade and rolled past Puerto Rico 108-77 for the Olympic berth. Former draft pick Bogdan Bogdanovic had 26 points and 8 assists and Nikola Jokic had 23 points, 8 rebounds, and 6 assists. The great backcourt may have played together for the last time as J.J. Barea had 22 points and Carlos Arroyo had 14 points and 6 rebounds and former draft pick and brief training camp participant Ricky Sanchez added 10 points.
    Boxscore:
    http://www.fiba.com/oqt/serbia/2016/...ore_statistics

There was a delay shortly after the tip in Turin, but the close game finally got underway. Italy sent the game into overtime to give the home fans some hope, but Croatia took the lead again and won 84-78 to advance to the Olympics. Bojan Bogdanovic must be showing his best to fend off backcourt competition in the NBA as he had another 26 points and 6 rebounds and Dario Saric had 18 points and 13 rebounds with his short term NBA future still up in the air. Marco Belinelli did his best in a mask with 18 points, Danilo Gallinari had 12 points and 8 rebounds, ex-NBA player Luigi Datome had 12 points, and ex-USC player Daniel Hackett had 10 points and 6 rebounds as the hosts fell short even with a near full strength team.
    Boxscore:
    http://www.fiba.com/oqt/italy/2016/0...ore_statistics

Unfortunately, Parker and France were too good today and Canada will rest during the Rio Olympics. We should have fresh legs for next World Championship qualifications.

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    Unfortunately, Parker and France were too good today and Canada will rest during the Rio Olympics. We should have fresh legs for next World Championship qualifications.
    So the two very good teams -- Serbia and France -- qualified along with Croatia, which is decent but probably a notch below the other two. Hopefully both Serbia and France get drawn into USA's group, which as it stands right now is too easy. It'd be nice for the USA face a very good team before the knockout stage.

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    Serbia jumped out to an enormous lead in Belgrade and rolled past Puerto Rico 108-77 for the Olympic berth. Former draft pick Bogdan Bogdanovic had 26 points and 8 assists...

Croatia took the lead again and won 84-78 to advance to the Olympics. Bojan Bogdanovic must be showing his best to fend off backcourt competition in the NBA as he had another 26 points and 6 rebounds...
    If you think you can make me believe that there is a Bogdan Bogdanovic and a Bojan Bogdanovic and they play for different teams... well, I'm not that gullible.

So, which is Bogdan and which is Bojan?

-Jason "I remember when Bogdan Bogdanovic was drafted and I thought the name was not real" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Canada did put up a fight, but France got the 83-74 win and left the rising power of the Americas two years away from being two years away. Tony Parker had 26 points and another former Spurs player in Nando De Colo had 22 points. More ex-Spurs scored a lot of points as Cory Joseph had 20 points and 6 assists while Melvin Ejim completed a strong tournament with 19 points.

The groups are now set after the three teams were drawn into the three spaces:

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    If you think you can make me believe that there is a Bogdan Bogdanovic and a Bojan Bogdanovic and they play for different teams... well, I'm not that gullible.

So, which is Bogdan and which is Bojan?

-Jason "I remember when Bogdan Bogdanovic was drafted and I thought the name was not real" Evans
    The ESPN production crew did not believe it either, famously showing film of Bojan when Bogdan was drafted. Bogdan is not supposed to come over until 2017-2018 so the announcer's fun may have to wait a year.

Grrrr, Venezuela. That was the one we needed to win.

Since the DBR front page is starting national team previews, beginning with Argentina, I thought we could fire up some discussion here of the other teams in the field.

These are the twelve teams that will compete in Rio, broken up into two groups for Group Play:

The groups are now set after the three teams were drawn into the three spaces:
    If I had to rank & tier these 12 teams as of right now (mid-July), I would do it as follows*:

Tier A
    1. USA

Tier B
    2. Spain, 3. France, 4. Lithuania, 5. Serbia

Tier C**
    6. Croatia, 7. Brazil, 8. Argentina, 9. Australia

Tier D
    10. Nigeria, 11. Venezuela, 12. China

* These are subject to change as news roll in about injury dropouts, e.g. Marc Gasol would be a huge loss for Spain.

* Awhom, thoughts? If you see anything you think is really off, let me know. Thanks!

** J.D. King seems to think the Aussies belong in the same tier as Spain, France, etc. I think, more realistically, they're a notch below for now. But that national program is improving for sure.

** Also, Brazil and Argentina might receive some home continent advantage that allows them to play better than where I have them ranked. Particularly Brazil might be able to play at a Tier B level, being the host country.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Since the DBR front page is starting national team previews, beginning with Argentina, I thought we could fire up some discussion here of the other teams in the field.

These are the twelve teams that will compete in Rio, broken up into two groups for Group Play:

If I had to rank & tier these 12 teams as of right now (mid-July), I would do it as follows*:

Tier A
    1. USA

Tier B
    2. Spain, 3. France, 4. Lithuania, 5. Serbia

Tier C**
    6. Croatia, 7. Brazil, 8. Argentina, 9. Australia

Tier D
    10. Nigeria, 11. Venezuela, 12. China

* These are subject to change as news roll in about injury dropouts, e.g. Marc Gasol would be a huge loss for Spain.

* Awhom, thoughts? If you see anything you think is really off, let me know. Thanks!

** J.D. King seems to think the Aussies belong in the same tier as Spain, France, etc. I think, more realistically, they're a notch below for now. But that national program is improving for sure.

** Also, Brazil and Argentina might receive some home continent advantage that allows them to play better than where I have them ranked. Particularly Brazil might be able to play at a Tier B level, being the host country.
    Sounds about right to me, although Serbia and Croatia might be more in their own tier C right now having separated themselves in either direction, barring the unknown home continent advantage. Brazil and Argentina have hidden their teams a bit, which makes it hard to know how much aging may have hit them, especially since we essentially have not seen full strength Brazil since the last Olympics. Australia will have to sweat out whether Bogut gets healthy in time. His replacement would be Aleks Maric, which is no replacement at all. I am not really sure that whatever they accomplish here might not be a peak. Obviously they have plenty of young talent, but this group is very accomplished internationally and the young guns could be swallowed up by the Canada effect of the NBA. Nigeria is unlikely to sneak up on anyone after last time, but it is hard to know if the tweaks to their roster will help since their national federation is as disorganized as ever. They did seem to get a few more players on board so their backcourt may have fewer issues than previous editions. Group B is going to be very entertaining.

Sounds about right to me, although Serbia and Croatia might be more in their own tier C right now having separated themselves in either direction,
    Indeed, the split up of the former powerhouse Yugoslavia. They'd be pretty darn good (the top of Tier B?) if they were one country still.

Australia will have to sweat out whether Bogut gets healthy in time. His replacement would be Aleks Maric, which is no replacement at all.
    No confidence in Aron Baynes?

Group B is going to be very entertaining.
    Oh man, I can't wait to see which 4 teams from that group advance. There's only 1 bottom-tier team (Nigeria) in that Group, so one of Argentina, Spain, Brazil, Lithuania, or Croatia won't advance. Right now, I'm thinking that team could be Argentina. What a dismal way for that legendary generation of Argentines to go out, by not making it to the knockout rounds of their final competition together.

Neither team was at full strength, but Nigeria beat Argentina in Las Vegas 96-92. Michael Gbinije had 10 points in 19 minutes. Why do I get the feeling that Luis Scola will never retire?

Marc Gasol officially won't be on Spain's roster in Rio due to foot injury - FIBA link

It should be noted that Spain won the 2015 EuroBasket without Marc.

Marc Gasol officially won't be on Spain's roster in Rio due to foot injury - FIBA link

It should be noted that Spain won the 2015 EuroBasket without Marc.
    Spain is the strongest team in Europe, with or without the Gasol brothers. France is up-and-coming with Evan Fournier and Rudy "Can't be from Earth with that Wingspan" Gobert, but they lack quality guards sans Tony Parker. Italy has...umm...I'll get back to you. Greece is okay, and should get better.

Something happened in the last 6-8 years with international basketball. They just got worse while the US got their $%&# together.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Spain is the strongest team in Europe, with or without the Gasol brothers. France is up-and-coming with Evan Fournier and Rudy "Can't be from Earth with that Wingspan" Gobert, but they lack quality guards sans Tony Parker. Italy has...umm...I'll get back to you. Greece is okay, and should get better.

Something happened in the last 6-8 years with international basketball. They just got worse while the US got their $%&# together.
    Nah, Spain needs a Gasol to compete. Pau had to score 40 points to barely beat France in an overtime game at the 2015 Eurobasket.

With Marc not being there in Rio -- France, Lithuania, and Serbia are all right there with Spain. I wouldn't be surprised if Spain got knocked out by any of them, and Lithuania could win Group B instead of Spain.

Nice, informative graphic here:

Matt Ellentuck@mellentuck 7h7 hours ago
    Update: 71 current and former NBA players are headed to Rio.

Nice, informative graphic here:
    Barring any last minute injury replacements, here are the announced rosters:

Australia:
    Chris Goulding, Melbourne United (Australia)/Auxilium Torino (Italy)
    Patty Mills, San Antonio Spurs, St. Mary's
    Andrew Bogut, Golden State Warriors, Utah
    Joe Ingles, Utah Jazz
    Matthew Dellavedova, Cleveland Cavaliers, St. Mary's
    Ryan Broekhoff, Lokomotiv Kuban (Russia), Valparaiso
    Cameron Bairstow, Chicago Bulls, New Mexico
    Kevin Lisch, Illawara Hawks (Australia)/Quebradillas Pirates (Puerto Rico), Saint Louis
    Aron Baynes, Detroit Pistons, Washington State
    David Andersen, ASVEL (France), NBA (2009-2011)
    Brock Motum, Zalgiris (Lithuania), Washington State
    Damian Martin, Perth Wildcats (Australia), Loyola Marymount

China:
    Zhao Jiwei, Liaoning (China)
    Sui Ran, Shandong (China)
    Guo Ailun, Liaoning (China)
    Ding Yanyuhang, Shandong (China)
    Zhai Xiochuan, Beijing (China)
    Zhou Peng, Guangdong (China)
    Yi Jianlian, Guangdong (China), NBA (2007-2012)
    Li Gen, Xinjiang (China)
    Li Muhao, Shenzhen (China)
    Zou Yuchen, Bayi (China)
    Zhou Qi, Xinjiang (China), Drafted 43rd by Houston Rockets in 2016
    Wang Zhelin, Fujian (China), Drafted 57th by Memphis Grizzlies in 2016

France:
    Thomas Heurtel, Anadolu Efes (Turkey)
    Nicolas Batum, Charlotte Hornets
    Antoine Diot, Valencia (Spain)
    Joffrey Lauvergne, Denver Nuggets
    Charles Kahudi, ASVEL (France)
    Tony Parker, San Antonio Spurs
    Florent Pietrus, SLUC Nancy (France)
    Nando De Colo, CSKA Moscow (Russia), NBA (2012-2014)
    Boris Diaw, San Antonio Spurs
    Mickael Gelabale, Le Mans Sarthe (France), NBA (2006-2008 and 2012-2013)
    Rudy Gobert, Utah Jazz
    Kim Tillie, Saski Baskonia (Spain), Utah

Serbia:
    Milos Teodosic, CSKA Moscow (Russia)
    Marko Simonovic, Red Star Belgrade (Serbia)
    Bogdan Bogdanovic, Fenerbahce Ulker (Turkey), Drafted 27th in 2013 by Phoenix Suns with rights currently held by Sacramento Kings
    Stefan Markovic, Malaga (Spain)
    Nikola Kalinic, Fenerbahce Ulker (Turkey)
    Nemanja Nedovic, Malaga (Spain), NBA (2013-2014)
    Stefan Bircevic, Estudiantes (Spain)
    Miroslav Raduljica, Panathinaikos (Greece), NBA (2013-2015)
    Nikola Jokic, Denver Nuggets
    Vladimir Stimac, Red Star Belgrade (Serbia)
    Stefan Jovic, Red Star Belgade (Serbia)
    Milan Macvan, Olimpia Milano (Italy), Drafted 54th in 2011 by Cleveland Cavaliers

Venezuela:
    Gregory Echenique, Guaros de Lara (Venezuela), Creighton
    Dwight Lewis, Trotamundos de Carabobo (Venezuela), USC
    Miguel Marriaga, Marinos de Anzoategui (Venezuela)
    Gregory Vargas, Maccabi Haifa (Israel)
    John Cox, Bucaneras de La Guaira (Venezuela), USF
    David Cubillan, Trotamundos de Carabobo (Venezuela), Marquette
    Jose Vargas, Marinos de Anzoategui (Venezuela)
    Miguel Ruiz, Trotamundos de Carabobo (Venezuela)
    Windi Graterol, Guaros de Lara (Venezuela)
    Heissler Guillent, Guaros de Lara (Venezuela)
    Anthony Perez, Ole Miss
    Nestor Colmenares, Guaros de Lara (Venezuela), Campbellsville (NAIA)

Argentina:
    Luis Scola, Toronto Raptors
    Manu Ginobili, San Antonio Spurs
    Facundo Campazzo, On loan to UCAM Murcia (Spain) from Real Madrid (Spain)
    Nicolas Laprovittola, Estudiantes (Spain)
    Nicolas Brussino, Penarol (Argentina), signed with Dallas Mavericks
    Carlos Delfino, no club, NBA (2004-2013)
    Marcos Delia, Obras Sanitarias (Argentina)
    Andres Nocioni, Real Madrid (Spain), NBA (2004-2012)
    Gabriel Deck, Quimsa (Argentina)
    Leo Mainoldi, Gimnasia (Argentina)
    Patricio Garino, George Washington, signed with San Antonio Spurs
    Roberto Acuna, Penarol (Argentina)

Brazil:
    Raul Neto, Utah Jazz
    Cristiano Felicio, Chicago Bulls
    Vitor Benite, UCAM Murcia (Spain)
    Marcelo Huertas, Los Angeles Lakers
    Alex Garcia, Bauru (Brazil), NBA (2003-2005)
    Guilherme Giovannoni, Brasilia (Brazil)
    Nene Hilario, Washington Wizards
    Marcus Vinicius, Cearense (Brazil), NBA (2006-2008)
    Leandro Barbosa, Golden State Warriors
    Augusto Lima, Real Madrid (Spain)
    Rafael Hettsheimeir, Bauru (Brazil)
    Rafael Luz, Flamengo (Brazil)

Croatia:
    Luka Babic, Cedevita (Croatia)
    Filip Kruslin, Cibona (Croatia)
    Rok Stipcevic, Dinamo Sassari (Italy)
    Krunoslav Simon, Olimpia Milano (Italy)
    Mario Hezonja, Orlando Magic
    Dario Saric, Anadolu Efes (Turkey), signed with Philadelphia 76ers
    Roko Ukic, Cantu (Italy), NBA (2008-2010)
    Darko Planinic, Saski Baskonia (Spain)
    Miro Bilan, Cedevita (Croatia)
    Zeljko Sakic, Academic (Bulgaria)
    Marko Arapovic, Cedevita (Croatia)
    Bojan Bogdanovic, Brooklyn Nets

Lithuania:
    Mantas Kalnietis, Olimpia Milano (Italy)
    Adas Juskevicius, Lietuvos Rytas (Lithuania)
    Jonas Maciulis, Real Madrid (Spain)
    Renaldas Seibutis, Zalgiris (Lithuania), Drafted 50th in 2007 by Dallas Mavericks
    Domantas Sabonis, Gonzaga, signed with Oklahoma City Thunder
    Antanas Kavaliauskas, Lietuvos Rytas (Lithuania), Texas A&M
    Paulius Jankunas, Zalgiris (Lithuania)
    Robertas Javtokas, Zalgiris (Lithuania), Arizona and drafted 55th in 2001 by San Antonio Spurs
    Jonas Valanciunas, Toronto Raptors
    Mindaugas Kuzminskas, Malaga (Spain), signed with New York Knicks
    Marius Grigonis, Manresa (Spain)
    Vaidas Kariniauskas, Kymis (Greece)

Nigeria:
    Josh Akognon, Jilin (China)/Dinamo Sassari (Italy), Cal State Fullerton and NBA (2012-2013)
    Alade Aminu, Hapoel Eilat (Israel), Georgia Tech
    Ike Diogu, Guangdong (China), Arizona State and NBA (2005-2012)
    Ebi Ere, Adelaide 36ers (Australia)/Arecibo Captains (Puerto Rico), Oklahoma
    Michael Gbinije, Syracuse, signed with Detroit Pistons
    Ekene Ibekwe, Krasny Oktyabr (Russia)/Sagesse (Lebanon), Maryland
    Shane Lawal, Barcelona (Spain), Wayne State (DII)
    Andy Ogide, Hapoel Migdal Haemek (Israel), Colorado State
    Chamberlain Oguchi, Wloclawek (Poland), Illinois State
    Stan Okoye, Trapani (Italy), VMI
    Ben Uzoh, no club, Tulsa and NBA (2010-2012)
    Michael Umeh, Ironi Nahariya (Israel), UNLV

Spain:
    Pau Gasol, Chicago Bulls
    Rudy Fernanadez, Real Madrid (Spain), NBA (2008-2012)
    Sergio Rodriguez, Real Madrid (Spain), signed with Philadelphia 76ers
    Juan Carlos Navarro, Barcelona (Spain), NBA (2007-2008)
    Jose Calderon, New York Knicks
    Felipe Reyes, Real Madrid (Spain)
    Victor Claver, Lokomotiv Kuban (Russia), NBA (2012-2015)
    Willy Hernangomez, On loan to Sevilla (Spain) from Real Madrid (Spain), signed with New York Knicks
    Alex Abrines, Barcelona (Spain), signed with Oklahoma City Thunder
    Sergio Llull, Real Madrid (Spain), Drafted 34th in 2009 by Denver Nuggets with rights currently held by Houston Rockets
    Nikola Mirotic, Chicago Bulls
    Ricky Rubio, Minnesota Timberwolves