Can anyone explain...

...why teams EVER EVER EVER kick the ball to Devin Hester?

If you were the opposing coach, would you do this? I'd tell my punter to sacrifice 10-yard each time just to make sure he kicks the ball either out of bounds or close to the sidelines. I'd have my kickoff guy squib kick it and just be satisfied with keeping the other team around the 30 or 35 yard-line. Given the horrid state of the Bears offense, there is no way I ever let Hester touch the ball and get up to full-speed on a runback. NO WAY!!

--Jason "everyone wondering why Rex was the started got their answer yesterday-- wow was Griese horrible!!" Evans
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 10-01-2007 at 09:08 AM.

Devin Hester is the most exciting player to watch in the NFL. The rest of the game bummed me out.

I didn't see a lot of the game, but it seemed like Griese actually performed admirably (three picks notwithstanding)...he threw for 286 yards and a couple of scores. Wrecks Grossman sure ain't puttin those kind of stats up. Most weeks, 27 points really ought to be enough to get the Bears the W.
    I also wondered if Griese's INTs could have resulted in part from a bit of overeagerness or "pressing" in his first start. Was he really that bad?

Grossman certainly would have put up those numbers if he threw over 50 times. Griese is not good.

The Bears offense stinks. I think they should line Hester 20 yards behind center, hike the ball to the QB, who then throws it back to Hester. He'd do better than what they are doing now. (Of course i jest, but only a little bit...)

Quote Originally Posted by SlimSlowSlider View Post
    Grossman certainly would have put up those numbers if he threw over 50 times. Griese is not good.

The Bears offense stinks. I think they should line Hester 20 yards behind center, hike the ball to the QB, who then throws it back to Hester. He'd do better than what they are doing now. (Of course i jest, but only a little bit...)
    I didn't realize Griese threw that many times. 5 yards/attempt, you're right, is not good. It seems to me, however, that perhaps the Bears' offense in its current iteration is poorly designed (though I suppose their running game ain't that great either).
    A lot of the NFL is pretty topsy-turvy right now...except for New England. Is there any chance that they don't win the Super Bowl this year? And how long before we begin to be subjected to the "Undefeated?" nonsense?

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    ...why teams EVER EVER EVER kick the ball to Devin Hester?

If you were the opposing coach, would you do this? I'd tell my punter to sacrifice 10-yard each time just to make sure he kicks the ball either out of bounds or close to the sidelines. I'd have my kickoff guy squib kick it and just be satisfied with keeping the other team around the 30 or 35 yard-line. Given the horrid state of the Bears offense, there is no way I ever let Hester touch the ball and get up to full-speed on a runback. NO WAY!!

--Jason "everyone wondering why Rex was the started got their answer yesterday-- wow was Griese horrible!!" Evans
    The Cowboys kicked to Hester last week, and did a pretty good job of getting their coverage teams downfield to keep him from advancing much.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

In all fairness, Griese didn't look too bad in the first half. He had several solid passes that were dropped by his receivers after hitting them in the chest. If even a couple of those balls were caught, the game could have gone very differently.

Of course, if he hadn't thrown a pick on the 1-yard line in the first half and the Bears had scored, instead, the game also could have gone very differently.

He was terrible in the second half.

I wonder if we'll do poorly enough to get Brohm in the draft?

Now I'm sorry I didn't watch. I should remember to watch Devin Hester every chance I get. Of course, I'm not sure the game was on, here in DC. We are force-fed the Ravens, which annoys me no end, usually taking a time slot off the table in addition to the one that goes to the Redskins most weeks.