Thread: Foul Ball, Masn

Thumbs down Foul Ball, Masn

Don't know how many of you in the south have had to listen to the unethical campaign by MASN (Mid-Atlantic Sports Network) against Time-Warner in NC.

Essentially, it goes like this: "Hey Time-Warner customers, tell Time-Warner to play ball with MASN." Then they have some dramatization with some guy calling up saying he wants to see Duke, Carolina and NC State games on TV.

Well, I got a little suspicious based on their inclusion of the Orioles and Nationals, two teams that -- let's face it -- nobody outside of the beltway gives two flips about.

So it turns out that MASN considers themselves the home network of:
    * Baltimore Ravens
    * Washington Redskins
    * Baltimore Orioles
    * Washington Nationals
    * Georgetown
    * West Virginia
    * Notre Dame
    * Pitt
    * Syracuse
    * George Mason
    * UConn
    * Ohio State
    * Rutgers

(sarcasm flag on) STRANGE that neither Duke, UNC, nor NCSU -- in fact, not even Maryland -- appear on their list of teams they broadcast. (sarcasm flag off)

Now they're sponsoring a "switch from Time-Warner to DirecTV campaign.

Well, I for one would like to thank Time Warner for standing up to the guerilla marketing campaign. Shame on DirecTV for sponsoring it further.

Hey MASN, back off! NOBODY down here wants to be bombarded with second class college sports, third class major league baseball and the two most hated teams in the NFL (the pocket of old fashioned Redskin fans aside).

Really, I just want to see the 3-6 Cubs/Nationals games that I'm missing because its blacked out in this area. If I were a Orioles or Nats fan, I'd be pissed that I couldn't watch.

Personally, I'm for all the sports I can get, so I'd love for everyone to go sign the petition at PlayBallNow.org.

If it meant that we could get most of the Redskins games live, I'd be all for it. Doubt that's the case, however, and I'm really tired of the Masn commercials on 850 and 620.

Even if one isn't a fan of either the Orioles or the Nats, the blackout means that you miss Red Sox-Orioles or Yankees-Orioles or Mets-Nats or so many other desirable games. Look at how close the NL east was this year or the BoSox-Yanks.

My complaint is that Time-Warner and MASN seemed to be more interested in scoring points against each other than actually coming to a solution.

My other complaint is that the agreement that places the Triangle in the Baltimore and Washington territory is an anachromism to begin with.

Masn

A little history...

MASN is the network that was created in exchange for Peter Angelos (O's owner) to sign off on the deal to bring the Expos to DC. He had always maintained that the DC market belonged to the Baltimore Orioles and that a DC team would compete against him. MLB agreed to the structure for MASN to carry the Nats and O's games, moving the Orioles games off Comcast SportsNet. The worst part it that Angelos also gets to own MASN and pays the Nats a preset amount for their TV rights, eliminating any chance they could have to raise more cash for their TV rights in a open market.

MASN has run several campaigns in the DC area to get carriage on the major cable platforms (Comcast and Cox originally didn't carry MASN, only DirecTV and FiOS), so they've done this before. Not sure I understand why they use ACC sports to make their point however.

If you're an O's fan, Nats fan, or Big East fan then you would probably want MASN, otherwise you wouldn't.

Hey, back off my Nats! They exceed expectations this year and pretty much decided the NL east by thumping the Mets. Too bad they couldn't beat those stinkin' Phillies. Just wait a few years and see whose third rate.

On MASN, I'm glad I could finally watch the Nats on TV this year, but I can't stand that it has to be on MASN. MASN treated the Nats like second citizens all year. We didn't even get a post-game show on the last day of the season, but those stinkin' O's did. Any set up that lets Angelos have anything to do with the Nats is just wrong. Isn't there anybody who can just make that man go away?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBaby View Post
    . Isn't there anybody who can just make that man go away?
    I'll help!

Quote Originally Posted by cf-62 View Post
    Don't know how many of you in the south have had to listen to the unethical campaign by MASN (Mid-Atlantic Sports Network) against Time-Warner in NC.

Essentially, it goes like this: "Hey Time-Warner customers, tell Time-Warner to play ball with MASN." Then they have some dramatization with some guy calling up saying he wants to see Duke, Carolina and NC State games on TV.

Well, I got a little suspicious based on their inclusion of the Orioles and Nationals, two teams that -- let's face it -- nobody outside of the beltway gives two flips about.

So it turns out that MASN considers themselves the home network of:
    * Baltimore Ravens
    * Washington Redskins
    * Baltimore Orioles
    * Washington Nationals
    * Georgetown
    * West Virginia
    * Notre Dame
    * Pitt
    * Syracuse
    * George Mason
    * UConn
    * Ohio State
    * Rutgers

(sarcasm flag on) STRANGE that neither Duke, UNC, nor NCSU -- in fact, not even Maryland -- appear on their list of teams they broadcast. (sarcasm flag off)

Now they're sponsoring a "switch from Time-Warner to DirecTV campaign.

Well, I for one would like to thank Time Warner for standing up to the guerilla marketing campaign. Shame on DirecTV for sponsoring it further.

Hey MASN, back off! NOBODY down here wants to be bombarded with second class college sports, third class major league baseball and the two most hated teams in the NFL (the pocket of old fashioned Redskin fans aside).
    I'm really sick of their commercials as well. However, their non-inclusion of Duek, UNC, NCSU, and even Maryland has to do with the fact that these programs have most games covered nationally or regionally.

Time-Warner is doing what is in their own best financial interest - no more and no less. They are far less worried about the "ethics" of MASN than they are worried about their own bottom line - which is as it should be. If it became profitable for Time-Warner to "play ball" with MASN they would be best friends in a second. TW are hardly white knights here. To see this as an ethical issue at all seems silly - it is a business marketing campaign. If MASN gets coverage of Hurricanse Hockey (for which they are in the running) you will suddenly see Time-Warner and MASN holding hands and walking together through a field of daisies.

Finally, pre-Carolina Panthers the Redskins were one of the two most watched teams in this area (the evil cowboys being the other). Many folks who are old enough to have built allegiances to that team still miss seeing thier games. And given the current performance of the Panthers they seem to be in a struggle with the Redskins for ineptitude. In addition, the Orioles have a strong following in this area as they are the geographically closest American league team (despite the fact that they play like a middle school team).

masn

I can understand that an Orioles' fan, a Nats' fan or a Maryland fan might want MASN.

As a North Carolina-oriented sports fan, I would like MASN for the dozen or so Yankee and Braves games that I would get when the Orioles-Nats play the teams I do like. I'd appreciate seeing an occasion non-conference basketball game (I doubt I'll need MASN for Duke-Maryland) or maybe a local team playing Maryland in a non-revenue sports.

Yeah, I'd like that if it was a free addition to my cable package.

But it's not -- Time-Warner has apparently offered a deal to MASN that would allow viewers to pay for the channel (much as they do for CSTV -- I paid $2.95 to get CSTV this month so I could see the Duke-Navy game ... I'll cancel after this month). But MASN insists on a deal that would make it part of the basic cable package.

That would mean that all of us -- Oriole fans, non-Oriole fans, non-sports fans -- would see an increase in our cable bill to cover the deal with MASN.

Frankly, I don't think the small benefit I would get would be worth the cost -- I've seen estimated at between an 75 cent/$1.25 monthly increase in the cable bill.

I resent the deluge of ads that MASN is pouring into our market, especially with the phoney claim that it's our "local" sports network. When I signed up for CSTV, I made sure to pass on my vote to the operator that Time-Warner not add MASN, except as an add-on pay-for-view service for those who want it.

I wonder if every commercial break on MASN has an ad for law suits over asbestos?

I want MASN on Time Warner Cable in the Triangle. Thought about adding MLB Extra Innings to my cable, until I found out the O's are blacked out as we in the Triangle, are in their market area. Apparently I can't watch the O's unless I have MASN.

I WANT MASN!

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    I want MASN on Time Warner Cable in the Triangle. Thought about adding MLB Extra Innings to my cable, until I found out the O's are blacked out as we in the Triangle, are in their market area. Apparently I can't watch the O's unless I have MASN.

I WANT MASN!
    Then you are a prime candidate for a satellite dish. Last I heard, MASN won their lawsuit against Time-Warner and were going to be added next year some time. So next year, I'll be subsidizing your Orioles enjoyment. Until then, get your satellite dish.

Quote Originally Posted by cf-62 View Post
    Then you are a prime candidate for a satellite dish. Last I heard, MASN won their lawsuit against Time-Warner and were going to be added next year some time. So next year, I'll be subsidizing your Orioles enjoyment. Until then, get your satellite dish.
    I don't want satellite, I want MASN on Time Warner Cable.

By the way, MASN actually ended up losing that ruling. Oh, and I have contacted TWC to get MASN.

Anybody who is a foe of Time Warner is a friend of mine!! Hooray MASN!

I really don't care about their tactics, I really don't care about TWC or DirectTV. My boy is 9 and is on the Washington Nationals this season. He asked when the Nationals play on TV, and I told him we can't watch them. The Nationals may be losing a fan in all of this.

It's ridiculous that as a Cubs fan, I don't miss a game (except when they play in Washington), but when the Orioles or Nationals play, I can't watch if I wanted to.