Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steeler Nation

Steeler Nation

Here is a kind of funny article about going out of town to see your team.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/29/op...=5070&emc=eta1
    The Steeler Nation is a real phenomenon there are a few games every year where there seems to an awful lot of cheering when the "visitors" score a touchdown a few games I have watched on TV a few games were you honestly could not tell from listening who the home team was. I think the Steelers could serve as a lesson to other teams in that one of the reasons for the Steelers huge popularity IMHO is they don't have any Pac Mans or Chris Henrys the Rooneys won't put up with a lot of behavior other franchises put up with.

i am a baltimore ravens seasos tickit holder and every year in baltimore during the steelers game there is a plane fling caring a banner that says baltimore is steeler country you have to love that

Quote Originally Posted by tecumseh View Post
    The Steeler Nation is a real phenomenon there are a few games every year where there seems to an awful lot of cheering when the "visitors" score a touchdown a few games I have watched on TV a few games were you honestly could not tell from listening who the home team was. I think the Steelers could serve as a lesson to other teams in that one of the reasons for the Steelers huge popularity IMHO is they don't have any Pac Mans or Chris Henrys the Rooneys won't put up with a lot of behavior other franchises put up with.
    That exact thing happened to the Falcons big time in the Georgia Dome last season.

There are many, many Steeler fans in the stadium when they come to Washington. If you prefer the home team, it's annoying. ;(

Quote Originally Posted by mapei View Post
    There are many, many Steeler fans in the stadium when they come to Washington. If you prefer the home team, it's annoying. ;(
    And in bars all over the area every Sunday. I've lived in several different places around the country and there are two fan bases that always show up en masse at the sports bars for the games -- Steelers and Packers. I guess Wisconsin and northwest Pennsylvania are two good places to get out of, weather-wise. Hence, the wide dispersal of the fans.

Quote Originally Posted by dkbaseball View Post
    And in bars all over the area every Sunday. I've lived in several different places around the country and there are two fan bases that always show up en masse at the sports bars for the games -- Steelers and Packers. I guess Wisconsin and northwest Pennsylvania are two good places to get out of, weather-wise. Hence, the wide dispersal of the fans.
    I believe you've hit the nail directly on the head, driving that sucker clear through the board.

childhood

But if you talk to the fans many even most don't come from there. I think it is about running clean franchises and winning. People also remember the great teams of their childhood Packers if they are little older than Steeler fans. Or you can take the opposite approach, just win baby. The NFL sells a lot of Raiders stuff in fact they are the most popular team in terms of merchandise sales. Then again though recent editions have been poor there was a time when they were consistently good. But no team "travels" like the Steelers, I guess if they were a college team they would be a good bowl team.

Raiders need to go to LA (again).

Raiders fans tend to travel well, depending on the city. Watching on TV this week, there seemed to be a good number of Raider fans at Miami.

Of the Raider games I've been too, some have had more visiting support than others.

@ Detroit 2003 - Good number of Raider fans, though nothing overwhelming. Detroit fans were welcoming.

Oakland 2004 - A home game against Gruden and the Bucs. A few Tampa Bay fans present. Oakland fans seemed to be much nicer to the visiting fans than what I am used to seeing in Philly.

@ Washington 2005 - Pretty much a game on a neutral site. Tons of Raider fans. The folks wearing a Dallas jersey got much more flak from the home crowd.

@ Denver 2006 - Didn't wear my Oakland gear to this one expecting the worst. Not many Raider fans at all. Every Denver person I spoke to was nice, even after finding out that I pull for the Dark Side. The entire city and peole of Denver impressed me greatly.

@ Green Bay 2007 - I'm not expecting many members of the Raider Nation at this one. I am expecting a good time and some pleasant interaction with some knowledgeable fans hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by PensDevil View Post
    @ Washington 2005 - Pretty much a game on a neutral site. Tons of Raider fans. The folks wearing a Dallas jersey got much more flak from the home crowd.
    I was there, too. Norv's homecoming.

I was there, too. Norv's homecoming.
    Just an aside, you do work?

I do indeed, and rather hard today, I'll have you know. I'm stressed out and waiting for my meeting to show up.

I did take much of the summer off, and I recommend it to anyone who is able.

I do indeed, and rather hard today, I'll have you know. I'm stressed out and waiting for my meeting to show up.

I did take much of the summer off, and I recommend it to anyone who is able.
    What, in the office? How pedestrian. No "jet plane to Nova Scotia, to see a [something] eclipse of the sun?" Bicycles that cost more than cars; summers off. Always thought the song was about Mick.

Just as a footnote to this conversation: "[Insert team name here] Nation" as a way to describe a particular team's adherents in the collective has long since begun to really annoy me.

I think all of us in Blue Devil Nation can agree on that.

I think all of us in Blue Devil Nation can agree on that.
    Flippin' hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Believe it or not, I did know that. That lovely song, however, does nothing to change the fact that Fleetwood Muck sucks."
    Too bad. I kind of like them. However, this particular tune was recorded by Carly Simmon.
    Last edited by greybeard; 10-01-2007 at 05:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    "Believe it or not, I did know that. That lovely song, however, does nothing to change the fact that Fleetwood Muck sucks."
    This is just a throw away that was a repeat that I wanted to completely delete but do not know how. So, Wilson, "You'll just have to pick up the pieces and go on." Da Muck
    Last edited by greybeard; 10-01-2007 at 05:40 PM.

The phenomenon of "Steeler Nation" can also be greatly attributed to the "Pittsburgh Diaspora", upon the collapse of Big Steel. You find Pittsburghers everywhere.

Diaspora

The diaspora theory only makes sense because the Steelers are HUGE in Pittburgh. It's hard to fathom unless you've been there. The Steelers have the best home fan base of any pro team (Green Bay a city of 100K has perhaps a slightly better following) judging by Neilson ratings and what not.
    http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_483035.html
    I guess for the TV guys a dream Super Bowl would still be Pittsburgh v Dallas.

Quote Originally Posted by JDSBlueDevl View Post
    The phenomenon of "Steeler Nation" can also be greatly attributed to the "Pittsburgh Diaspora", upon the collapse of Big Steel. You find Pittsburghers everywhere.
    +1 to that