Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Jah's troubles

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Jahlil will have a security guard available whenever he needs it, courtesy of the Sixers. Apparently this is a standard practice in the league.
    Hope they don't hire Karl Towns for the job, he's already had issues guarding Jah.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichabod Drain View Post
    Hope they don't hire Karl Towns for the job, he's already had issues guarding Jah.
    Ba-dump-bump.

I had dinner and an adult beverage at The Misconduct several years ago while I was in Philadelphia for a meeting. Founded by my second cousin's husband, it was (is?) an upscale sports bar/restaurant and they were huge hockey fans at the time, hence the name. A bit of snooping around their website and Philadelphia restaurant/bar/entertainment pages this AM does not mention his name so he may have sold his interest in the joints (they now have a second location). I'll have to call my cousin tonight and get some details.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Jahlil will have a security guard available whenever he needs it, courtesy of the Sixers. Apparently this is a standard practice in the league.
    Why don't they hire him a point guard?

There are tons of teenage kids around the country making these types of mistakes. Getting involved in fights, speeding and using fake id's let's face it. The disappointing thing for me is that I have heard Jah stating so many times how he has been preparing for the NBA all his life. He also had an opportunity to learn from a great program with Duke and with a great mentor in coach K.
    There is no getting away from it that he is now making his own decisions and there is nobody to blame but himself!

I wish him well as he grows into being a man. Everyone runs his own race, I onetime heard. I made all of my errors and, through a lot of pain, that many of my solutions were worse than my problems. Personally, I will give a lot more time before I attempt to judge him.

"The request for security came from Okafor's handlers"

Handlers? Is that the NBA term for his dad?

Bomani Jones had a long segment on his radio show yesterday. His take was that making apologies was all well and good, but that the behavior Jah is engaging in goes far beyond bad ideas and into reckless behavior that can get you killed.

Hard to argue against. Jah needs to take a long look at his priorities and put a little time into avoiding life-threatening situations like armed altercations and speeding across bridges.

Hope he gets his head together - he is immmensely likeable and talented, but that doesn't make him bullet-proof.

Just another reason why he should've stayed in school! Closely supervised? Check. Win another national championship? Perhaps.

In all seriousness, I think it's probably tough to be 19, rich, and on your own. I don't know if I could've handled it. I agree, though, that he needs to take a long look at himself now before something really bad happens. He could easily get stabbed, shot, or end up in a serious accident.

I hope he turns it around soon.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Ba-dump-bump.

I had dinner and an adult beverage at The Misconduct several years ago while I was in Philadelphia for a meeting. Founded by my second cousin's husband, it was (is?) an upscale sports bar/restaurant and they were huge hockey fans at the time, hence the name. A bit of snooping around their website and Philadelphia restaurant/bar/entertainment pages this AM does not mention his name so he may have sold his interest in the joints (they now have a second location). I'll have to call my cousin tonight and get some details.
    Your description is still applicable. Its a nice sports bar with a ton of TVs and great for watching football/hoops/etc. Good bar food as well.

Like probably every other sports bar in America, I'm sure they've been presented with and duped by a variety of fake IDs over the years...

Getting a security guard, in and of itself, is nothing but an insufficient Band Aid. He needs to be avoiding
    public confrontations at 2 a.m...I know he's a young guy and is entitled to make young guy mistakes, but
    he seems to be pushing the envelope here...I just hope he doesn't think that merely being accompanied by
    some security lunk is going to fix his problems.

Quote Originally Posted by subzero02 View Post
    Do you have a link for this. This isn't the first alcohol related incident involving Duhon... he was with Reggie Love the night that some unforgettable photos were taken.
    Yes- there is a long history here and perhaps a serious problem. He will need to address this moving forward. Alcohol derailed Phil Ford's plans to be a coach.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    Your description is still applicable. Its a nice sports bar with a ton of TVs and great for watching football/hoops/etc. Good bar food as well.

Like probably every other sports bar in America, I'm sure they've been presented with and duped by a variety of fake IDs over the years...
    Or decided not to wave off a NBA player who enhances the rep of the establishment by his presence? Just a wild guess that Jah is a little less anonymous than your typical 19 year old guy in Philly trying to get served.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta Duke View Post
    Or decided not to wave off a NBA player who enhances the rep of the establishment by his presence? Just a wild guess that Jah is a little less anonymous than your typical 19 year old guy in Philly trying to get served.
    I know - the whole notion of a fake ID for a guy whose birthday is easily looked up on the internet ... and probably known to be under 21 by most sports fans ... it just is absurd on the face of it.

well, he just got his first win tonight against the lakers....maybe that can soothe it out some and he can get his head on str8
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    There are tons of teenage kids around the country making these types of mistakes. Getting involved in fights, speeding and using fake id's let's face it. The disappointing thing for me is that I have heard Jah stating so many times how he has been preparing for the NBA all his life. He also had an opportunity to learn from a great program with Duke and with a great mentor in coach K.
    There is no getting away from it that he is now making his own decisions and there is nobody to blame but himself!
    I agree that kids do this stuff all the time - even good ones. I'm not really sure if Jah spent enough time in Durham for the whole mentoring/program thing to completely rub off. If he stayed 3 or 4 years it would be a different story. I'm scared to think of myself at 19 as a millionaire. The lack of time for developing maturity is what often sets young athletes down bad roads.
    Last edited by eddiehaskell; 12-01-2015 at 10:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
    I agree that kids do this stuff all the time - even good ones. I'm not really sure if Jah spent enough time in Durham for the whole mentoring/program thing to completely rub off. If he stayed 3 or 4 years it would be a different story. I'm scared to think of myself at 19 as a millionaire. The lack of time for developing maturity is what often sets young athletes down bad roads.
    Tyus, Justise, Jabari, Austin, Kyrie, Luol. All stayed 1 year do you think the mentoring thing rubbed off on them? I bet it did for Jahlil but he has already lost more games then he probably did the last decade of playing basketball. Not saying it's an excuse to have these issues but dang that is a lot of losing when you are used to winning. I wonder if he is also upset that all the pundits continue to drool over the possible greatness of KAT and Porzinigis and that is getting to him as well.

NYT on the Sixers, including a Jah discussion

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleDevil View Post
    Tyus, Justise, Jabari, Austin, Kyrie, Luol. All stayed 1 year do you think the mentoring thing rubbed off on them? I bet it did for Jahlil but he has already lost more games then he probably did the last decade of playing basketball. Not saying it's an excuse to have these issues but dang that is a lot of losing when you are used to winning. I wonder if he is also upset that all the pundits continue to drool over the possible greatness of KAT and Porzinigis and that is getting to him as well.
    Moderately interesting read.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/03/sp...tml?ref=sports

I am sure Tyus is not very happy about playing time I hope he can keep it together ;-)

Someone may have said this already, but what has happened has happened. I think what we look for now is the response. He has generated a ton of bad publicity and seriously endangered his own life and safety. His best PR/career/life move right now is to basically only be seen on the court or during daylight hours. Come nightfall, stay home big fella. I know it's tough because it gets late early in the winter, but every wacko in the world is going to want to talk trash to you, challenge you, and try and be the next lawsuit. Spare yourself the trouble and LAY LOW.

Sheesh, apparently, a new video has surfaced showing Jah getting into a SECOND street fight with a heckler a few blocks down the street after the first incident. How deep does this rabbit hole go? This is starting to feel like a bad new sequel to the Hangover, where we just keep finding out new details of a wild night . . .

Here's the video: http://www.tmz.com/2015/12/02/jahlil...-video-boston/

Warning: this is a pretty graphic video which shows a man with a bloodied face and quite a bit of cursing (mostly bleeped)

The league has allowed the 76ers to handle this internally thus far, but this is pretty damning video evidence. I'm absolutely shocked that Jah went this far, and I don't think the league or the 76ers should condone this type of violent behavior. If I hadn't been following his career for the past 2+ years, I would think he's just a big, stupid thug who is barely above being a gang banger. Very disappointing. He needs to be suspended, and also seek some professional help.
    Last edited by kAzE; 12-02-2015 at 02:35 PM.