Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Other People's MBB: 2015-16 Season

WIU 69, Wis 67

Bo knows basketball .
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Cmon NCSU... really to W&M?
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    WIU 69, Wis 67

Bo knows basketball .
    Since we didn't lose in the tournament last year (), does this count as the Duke curse?

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    Cmon NCSU... really to W&M?
    By 17?

At home?

The Tony Parkers lost to Monmouth

WIU 69, Wis 67

Bo knows basketball .
    The Western Illinois Leathernecks, "projected by Summit League coaches to finish LAST in its conference"

WIU 69, Wis 67

Bo knows basketball .
    It will be interesting to see how the Badgers do against their next opponent, Siena.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    It will be interesting to see how the Badgers do against their next opponent, Siena.
    If Whisky beats Sienna by 20, does that mean they should be National Champions?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Ask Bo, Bo always knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Since we didn't lose in the tournament last year (), does this count as the Duke curse?
    I guess it's time to start the Kentucky curse. Remember how we beat Kentucky in 92, but then lost to Lehigh and Mercer, clearly the Kentucky curse. Of course, with Georgetown adding their hat into this ring, Duke and VCU have to be on alert as it seems to be spreading among the 2K Sports field.

Butler drops 144 on the Citadel. That's like 200 points for most teams.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Bill Walton, is that you?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Sometimes. Depends on the dosage.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Speaking of Walton, did anybody catch any of the Texas-Washington game from China late Friday night. I watched it after getting home from the Duke opener.

It was a decent game, but what captivated me was Walton's commentary. I can't begin to describe how insane his rambling commentary was -- maybe it was something out of Hunter S. Thompson ... or Lewis Carroll. He never stopped talking and his comments had little to do with the game or basketball. He talked a lot about China and how great it was. At one point the cameras caught Yao Ming at courtside and he went off on why Ming was the most remarkable person in the world -- not for his height, but for his courage, his vision, his humanity ... he went on for 10 minutes. I swear his was pimping Ming for a Nobel Peace Prize. But that was about the most rational part of his hour long rant (an hour that I listened).

I can't begin to relate how bizarre it was -- it was like nothing I've ever heard, even from Walton.

Did anybody else listen in?

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Speaking of Walton, did anybody catch any of the Texas-Washington game from China late Friday night. I watched it after getting home from the Duke opener.

It was a decent game, but what captivated me was Walton's commentary. I can't begin to describe how insane his rambling commentary was -- maybe it was something out of Hunter S. Thompson ... or Lewis Carroll. He never stopped talking and his comments had little to do with the game or basketball. He talked a lot about China and how great it was. At one point the cameras caught Yao Ming at courtside and he went off on why Ming was the most remarkable person in the world -- not for his height, but for his courage, his vision, his humanity ... he went on for 10 minutes. I swear his was pimping Ming for a Nobel Peace Prize. But that was about the most rational part of his hour long rant (an hour that I listened).

I can't begin to relate how bizarre it was -- it was like nothing I've ever heard, even from Walton.

Did anybody else listen in?
    I didn't, but it sounds like any number of Pac-12 games that he broadcasted that I listened in on last season. In a couple of games he seemed to openly antagonize his PBP commentator, although I read that they both said afterwards that they both enjoy doing games with each other. I used to think he was amusingly weird, but there's nothing amusing about it anymore. He just sounds like some sort of annoying mystic cult leader who occasionally will talk about the game whenever he feels bothered to do his job.

Quote Originally Posted by Potato Head View Post
    I didn't, but it sounds like any number of Pac-12 games that he broadcasted that I listened in on last season. In a couple of games he seemed to openly antagonize his PBP commentator, although I read that they both said afterwards that they both enjoy doing games with each other. I used to think he was amusingly weird, but there's nothing amusing about it anymore. He just sounds like some sort of annoying mystic cult leader who occasionally will talk about the game whenever he feels bothered to do his job.
    Not to be dismissive, but I've heard Walton dozens of times on Pac 12 commentary. I know what he's like, normally.

Believe me, what I heard Friday night was a million times more bizarre than his normal crazy commentary.

Really enjoying Bobby Hurley v. Wojo right now. Hard to pick a team to root for over the other.

Gbinije Atlantis tournament MVP

I was sad to see him go, although it's fair to say maybe he never would have cracked the rotation at Duke.

Will be interesting to see how we guard a confident Gbinije this season.

Congratulations to a former Duke player realizing his potential.

Did anybody else stay up late to watch Providence top Arizona late last night?

Wow, any talking head still pimping Ben Simmons as player of the year should be forced to watch Providence as see what a REAL NPOY candidate looks like. Kris Dunn just put the Friars on his back and carried them past Zona. He was a devastating player at both ends of the court -- and he's been doing it for years. He is probably the top 2015 draft prospect who returned to school.

The thing is, he was content to be a playmaker for much of the game -- he passed out eight assists in the first 35 minutes or so. But with his team in major foul trouble and Arizona nursing a 5-6 point lead, he did what Simmons is clearly incapable of doing this moment - he scored 10 straight points to key his team's 69-65 victory.

I saw Dunn last year and he was one of the quickest, smartest point guards in college basketball. This year he's added strength.

For the moment, he's my NPOY frontrunner.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I was sad to see him go, although it's fair to say maybe he never would have cracked the rotation at Duke.

Will be interesting to see how we guard a confident Gbinije this season.

Congratulations to a former Duke player realizing his potential.
    Obviously just speculation--I suspect he would have cracked the rotation at least as a role player, but he might well not have had the playing time and success he has enjoyed at Syracuse--so that one worked out well. Based on Coach K's comments at the time, I gather he a hard worker and good teammate who was more than welcome to stay at Duke and left without hard feelings on either side, so I'm glad for him that he apparently made the right choice.