Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I am still a huge advocate of the mute button. I always keep the sound off during the initial viewing of the game. If the game
    merits re-watching (as many do) then I "treat" myself to sound (if I can stand it).

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Meh. Mildly funny. Not gonna hate for that.

I mean, to be fair, it probably took the guy all week to come up with it.
    Not sure how long it took him to come up with it, but it's probably pretty evident that he had spent some time thinking about his use of it.

Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post
    Not sure how long it took him to come up with it, but it's probably pretty evident that he had spent some time thinking about his use of it.
    Nah. ESPN has an intern from Yale.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Going into the second half, the studio host said, "Yale trails its 'safety school' by two points."
    Not much different from our old joke about Harvard or Yale (whichever was appropriate to the conversation) being the "Duke of the North." Usually in connection with the even older saw about Duke being the "Harvard of the South."

Fifty-five years out, it all seems a tad sophomoric. Mildly cute. All such jibes seem puerile and have outlived their shelf-life--except, GO TO HELL CAROLINA, GO TO HELL!

Intern: I'll ___ then ___ if you read this on air.

Network Geek: Um, Ok... I like those big glasses. And your oversized plaid shirt.

[later]

Network Geek: So, huh huh, what do you say?

Intern: Do you even understand 21st century irony?

Can't believe I'm admitting this, but I thought the color guy with Seth Greenberg was his cousin. After all, I heard 'My cousin Seth Greenberg here for Duke-Utah State'. Mike Couzens...I'm an idiot

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Can't believe I'm admitting this, but I thought the color guy with Seth Greenberg was his cousin. After all, I heard 'My cousin Seth Greenberg here for Duke-Utah State'. Mike Couzens...I'm an idiot
    Great Seth quote yesterday, "I first came here as an assistant with Virginia" Couzens, "Was it tough?" Greenberg, "Well, being down 30 before you even step to the line, yeah...that was tough"

Zing!

Ellis

I liked listening to LaPhonso Ellis last night. I thought he made some good points about Duke's defensive weaknesses and he wasn't over the top on anything.

Of course, I liked him saying he was 0-5 against Duke in his time at ND.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    I liked listening to LaPhonso Ellis last night. I thought he made some good points about Duke's defensive weaknesses and he wasn't over the top on anything.

Of course, I liked him saying he was 0-5 against Duke in his time at ND.
    I had the same thoughts about Ellis last night. Thought he did a pretty good job. He did get a bit repetitive (especially about dribble penetration against Duke) but I guess it's better to repeat a valid point then spout useless crap trying to fill air time during a blow out.

Kyle Macy lookin' ollllllllld!
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Corey Alexander made a good observation, last night.
    Duke could win the game if they were to go scoreless in the second half. Their defense was that good.

70-66 ... prophetic

Memories

Duke could win the game if they were to go scoreless in the second half. Their defense was that good.

70-66 ... prophetic
    Duke's defense hasn't been that good since beating UNC on March 6, 2010, 82-50, after leading 53-26 at halftime. Of cpurse, that was 2010 UNC, which was not as good as 2015 Elon.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Kyle Macy lookin' ollllllllld!
    That was really staggering, considering how baby-faced he was as a player.

70-66 ... prophetic
    I think our offense was that good. In the first half we missed defensive assignments several times that led to far too many layups. However the defense picked up as the game went on. GoDuke!

Elmore

Just watched the Wake game with the sound on. As some of you suggested, Elmore was a pleasant surprise. Someone must have given him happy pills. He really sounded like a different person. Complimenting Coach K, Ingram, Kennard, etc.

I actually thought Couzens was just fine, too.

Some of you forgot and put your Elmore comments in the post-game thread. Please shape up.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Just watched the Wake game with the sound on. As some of you suggested, Elmore was a pleasant surprise. Someone must have given him happy pills. He really sounded like a different person. Complimenting Coach K, Ingram, Kennard, etc.

I actually thought Couzens was just fine, too.

Some of you forgot and put your Elmore comments in the post-game thread. Please shape up.
    I've watched the game a couple of times with the sound on. Elmore took fewer shots at Duke than he normally does. Couzens was openly rooting for WF. He was dead pan stoic when Duke scored and screaming when WF scored. Drove me nuts, and I don't mind DickieV! Just talked with my best friend about the game a short while ago, he said the same thing about Couzens.

Listening to those two idiots you'd have thought Devin Thomas was Christian L.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    I've watched the game a couple of times with the sound on. Elmore took fewer shots at Duke than he normally does. Couzens was openly rooting for WF. He was dead pan stoic when Duke scored and screaming when WF scored. Drove me nuts, and I don't mind DickieV! Just talked with my best friend about the game a short while ago, he said the same thing about Couzens.

Listening to those two idiots you'd have thought Devin Thomas was Christian L.
    Scoring 19 points in the first half of a ballgame against the best college program in the country is something even a couple of idiots couldn't ignore, apparently.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    Scoring 19 points in the first half of a ballgame against the best college program in the country is something even a couple of idiots couldn't ignore, apparently.
    I wouldn't expect them to ignore it. It bothered me that they celebrated it. Turns out that Grayson Allen scored the same number of points as Thomas...who knew?

In yesterday's Duke game vs. VT I didn't notice the announcers (and I've watched the game twice already). Couldn't tell you who whey were. That's how it's supposed to be.

Len's most bizarre, lately

Elmore may have achieved Hall of Fame-level-Duke-makes-him-weird during tonight's UVa-Miami game. When his broadcast partner noted that Duke leads the ACC in scoring, Len, um, corrected him by noting that actually the Heels have scored more points this season.

Having played one more game than Duke.

So, Len helpfully noted that by PPG, i.e., average, yes, Duke is the highest scoring team in the conference.

"I just don't want to get angry calls from Chapel Hill," said Len.

I personally don't give a flying fig whether Duke or Carolina or any other team leads the league in scoring. But it does strike me that anything that might even vaguely be thought praise for our team just unsettles him, in heretofore unexpected ways.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    Elmore may have achieved Hall of Fame-level-Duke-makes-him-weird during tonight's UVa-Miami game. When his broadcast partner noted that Duke leads the ACC in scoring, Len, um, corrected him by noting that actually the Heels have scored more points this season.

Having played one more game than Duke.

So, Len helpfully noted that by PPG, i.e., average, yes, Duke is the highest scoring team in the conference.

"I just don't want to get angry calls from Chapel Hill," said Len.

I personally don't give a flying fig whether Duke or Carolina or any other team leads the league in scoring. But it does strike me that anything that might even vaguely be thought praise for our team just unsettles him, in heretofore unexpected ways.
    Ha ha, I noticed that, too. It struck me as borderline paranoid, but I suppose you're right that he was just trying to cover his unexpected confusion over the concept of percentages.