Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

bloody hell

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    Lighten up, Francis.

- Sgt. Hulka -
    I hope the name blue devils doesn't catch on. Implying that those affiliated with Duke are satanic would be troubling.

It's a movie reference, for cripes sake.
    That is less than obvious to yrs truly. If the guy's first name were "Conan", I wouldn't see a problem here.

Quote Originally Posted by wumhenry View Post
    That is less than obvious to yrs truly. If the guy's first name were "Conan", I wouldn't see a problem here.
    Looks like I picked a bad day to stop sniffing glue.

(That's also a movie reference)

/switches back to iTunes

Looks like I picked a bad day to stop sniffing glue.

(That's also a movie reference)

/switches back to iTunes
    And your point is ...?

Quote Originally Posted by wumhenry View Post
    And your point is ...?
    Hakuna Matata, bud!

I must have just stumbled onto a thread train wreck.

Anyway, I'm glad Olek has been excelling in these all-star games.

It would be great if Czyz develops quickly, he looks to be a dynamic player. The key is for Coach K to get Czyz & Plumlee integrated into the offense, and start contributing something inside. Zoubek and the bad foot may not be ready (again) for the season, and Lance Thomas--can he toughen up and start finishing his moves inside (and making baskets + free throws)?

The other four (Singler/Henderson/Paulus/Scheyer) are solid -- with help from Williams, Smith & Pocius, our game in the open floor and on the perimieter is solid. If we can get that #5 spot to produce 15pts / 10 boards (even by committee), then a drive for the National Championship is within reach.

And two other thoughts... we're not going to miss Taylor King (who only wanted to shoot, and was not concerned about developing the rest of his game). And, God love him (because he's apparently a great guy and leader), we're not going to miss the game that DeMarcus played in Feb-March (drive to the rim... and either make a turnover--35% of the time ... or get stuffed--25% ... or miss the shot, get fouled, and go to the line and MISS the free throws--35%. The remaining 5%, something good actually happened). I really agonized for him.

At least Olek and Miles are good FT shooters. I wish it started tomorrow ... from sunny California, GO DUKE !

Quote Originally Posted by DevilDan View Post
    It would be great if Czyz develops quickly, he looks to be a dynamic player. The key is for Coach K to get Czyz & Plumlee integrated into the offense, and start contributing something inside. Zoubek and the bad foot may not be ready (again) for the season, and Lance Thomas--can he toughen up and start finishing his moves inside (and making baskets + free throws)?
    DevilDan...I generally agree with your points, but the key will be to get Czyz & Plumlee quickly integrated into the defense. Reasons being that Coach K always stresses learning team defense for newcomers to get playing time, and inside defense (and rebounding) are the biggest team needs. Scoring and offensive efficiency can come later; we have returning players who can deliver in those areas.

If Czyz and/or Plumlee can become effective inside defenders and rebounders, then we'll really have something.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilDan View Post
    The other four (Singler/Henderson/Paulus/Scheyer) are solid -- with help from Williams, Smith & Pocius, our game in the open floor and on the perimieter is solid. If we can get that #5 spot to produce 15pts / 10 boards (even by committee), then a drive for the National Championship is within reach.
    Not so fast. I think a "drive for the National Championship" is potentially within reach, but not for those reasons. To summarize quickly, Henderson, Singler and Scheyer are our undisputed best three players. Unfortunately, none of them plays one of the two most important positions on the floor - point guard and big man/5/center/"Duke" center. Paulus is a solid basketball player, but he is not a solid point guard, in my opinion. So I think our chances for a title depend more on the development of guys like Nolan and Zoubek or Lance than Czyz and Plumlee.

Really the only fair thing to expect from Plumlee and Czyz is to be able to contribute good, spot minutes, maybe 5 a game. There's going to be 12 recruited scholarship players on the roster next year. Granted, as many have pointed out, the minutes in the paint are more up for grabs, but I don't think a 6'7" Czyz at the 5 is going to be a huge success in his first season in the ACC.

Good points, guys ... you're right--the new players do need to learn Coach K's defensive scheme . After seeing Czyz in his prep tapes and the all-star game, I'm thinking that he could become an inside presence in time--I hope a short time. The memories of seeing Thomas getting pushed around, and the thought that Zoubek may be starting over again this fall following his latest rehab, has me looking for other answers inside.

I hope Lance comes back stronger and tougher, and that Brian can get on the floor and just react and play (I always get the feeling that he's overthinking everytime he touches the ball). Plumlee looks to be more of a finesse player, so that makes me root for Olek more and more. Let's keep our fingers crossed, put it in Coach K's hands, and see what happens. It should be a lot of fun.