• Ride Along 2

4 7.69%
  • 13 Hours: Benghazi

6 11.54%
  • Kung Fu Panda 3

26 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Not a movie, but Blackadder Goes Forth was pretty hilarious . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_FdDtCB8xw
    Both hilarious and poignant. (And WW1) (All the seasons of Black Adder are among my favorite productions put on by the BBC, but the 4th is easily the best.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Perhaps this is the wrong thread, but -- as a Coen Bothers fan, I am really concerned about the heavy advertising for "Hail, Caesar!" Usually a bad sign, and damn it really looks unappealing no matter how they market it.

REALLY hope I am wrong.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Perhaps this is the wrong thread, but -- as a Coen Bothers fan, I am really concerned about the heavy advertising for "Hail, Caesar!" Usually a bad sign, and damn it really looks unappealing no matter how they market it.

REALLY hope I am wrong.
    Good news for you, it's currently at 79% on the Tomatometer with 61 reviews in. Perhaps this one is the most telling.
    Hail, Caesar! has just enough entertainment value to merit a guarded recommendation. But [...] it likely won't be hailed as one of the Coens' best.
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/hail_caesar_2016/
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Good news for you, it's currently at 79% on the Tomatometer with 61 reviews in.[/URL]
    That's only so-so for a Coen Brothers Film.

Among the best -- Fargo and Blood Simple both came in at 94 percent ... No Country for Old Men was at 93 percent ... Barton Fink and Miller's Crossing were at 91 percent ... Raising Arizona was at 90 percent.

On the other hand (IMHO) True Grit was greatly overrated at 96 percent, while The Big Lebowski was grossly underrated at 80 percent.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    It got an A Cinemascore, signaling word of mouth may be strong. A survey of folks leaving KFP3 found 72% saying they would recommend it to a friend. That's a big number. Dreamworks Animation films almost always put up a multiple of 3.5 or better from their opening weekend, so even if this is just an average DWA film, it is going to make $140 mil. I think the final number will be more like $160+ mil. It would seem to be a near-mortal lock to make our Top 6 of Winter.

Here are the current standings:
    1. Force Awakens - $895.4 million (made another $10 mil this weekend. $900 million, here we come!)
    2. Mockingjay 2 - $280.7 mil
    3. Spectre - $199.4 mil
    4. Daddy's Home - $143.0 mil (made $3 mil over the weekend)
    5. Revenant - $138.1 mil (made $12.4 mil over the weekend, with awards still to come, it has a lot left in the tank and will make over $160 mil, I suspect)
    6. Peanuts - $129.8 mil

Those first 5 plus Kung Fu will be our top 6.

-Jason "I'm bummed I made this a 6 film contest. If it was a top 5, there might have been a little suspense in seeing if Daddy could hold off Revenant or Kung Fu... oh well, never again!" Evans
    Revenant passed Daddy's Home for #4.

Panda is behind the pace set by Peanuts and Good Dinosaur.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Revenant passed Daddy's Home for #4.

Panda is behind the pace set by Peanuts and Good Dinosaur.
    When do we call it?

Top 5 is set but is there anyway that KFP 3 is able to pass Peanuts before the Batman v. Superman debacle comes out in March?

Somewhat amusing: SW7 is still holding off the next 5 movies combined, but by less than $1m, with a total of $906m. It seems to be back on top of Revenant in weekly take, so unless Panda exceeds Peanuts, that "race" could be over as well.

Bump as the thread has moved to the second page.

The downside to having opened up the window is having to wait for time to be called on the last remaining contestants.

KFP3 is still limping along and will likely do so for a few more weeks. It may get a slight bump due to the holiday weekend but as noted is behinds Peanuts pace.

Looks like Deadpool is going to be our 6th movie.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    KFP3 is still limping along and will likely do so for a few more weeks. It may get a slight bump due to the holiday weekend but as noted is behinds Peanuts pace.
    It is having a great weekend thanks to the holiday. Early estimates are that it will beat Zoolander 2 and be the #2 movie at the boxoffice this weekend. By the end of the holiday Monday, it should be right at $100 mil in total boxoffice. That would be its 18th day of release. Peanuts was at $100.9 mil on day #18. Now, it is worth noting that days 19-24 were huge for Peanuts as that was Thankgiving week, and I suspect Panda will drop back again as the coming week won't be anywhere close to Peanut's Thankgiving week, but Peanuts dropped like a stone after that week and it seems likely that Panda will have longer legs. Bottom line, it is still too early to call this contest between Panda and Peanuts for spot #6.

Oh, and everyone knows that Deadpool opened too late and was never a potential choice in our contest, right? Had it been available I would have picked it in a heartbeat as I am sure many others would have.

-Jason "does the fate of Peanuts vs Panda have a meaningful impact on who wins this time?" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Panda 3 made another $12.5 mil over the weekend, just a 36% drop from last weekend. It now stands at $117.1 million and seems well on its way to being in our top 6. Here are the latest standings:

1. Star Wars - $921.6 mil
    2. Mockingjay 2 - $281.6 mil
    3. Spectre - $199.7 mli
    4. Revenant - $165.1 mli
    5. Daddy's Home - $147.6 mil
    6. Peanuts Movie - $130.0 mil
    7. Good Dino - $121.4 mil
    8. Panda 3 - $117.1 mil
    9. Creed - $109.4 mil

Panda is now ahead of Peanuts pace. Through 24 days of release Peanuts was at $116.8 mil while Panda is at $117.1.

-Jason "probably takes 2 more weekends for Panda to crawl past Peanuts... changes nothing for me, 4-for-6 ties me with a million people for 2nd place" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Panda 3 made another $12.5 mil over the weekend, just a 36% drop from last weekend. It now stands at $117.1 million and seems well on its way to being in our top 6. Here are the latest standings:

1. Star Wars - $921.6 mil
    2. Mockingjay 2 - $281.6 mil
    3. Spectre - $199.7 mli
    4. Revenant - $165.1 mli
    5. Daddy's Home - $147.6 mil
    6. Peanuts Movie - $130.0 mil
    7. Good Dino - $121.4 mil
    8. Panda 3 - $117.1 mil
    9. Creed - $109.4 mil

Panda is now ahead of Peanuts pace. Through 24 days of release Peanuts was at $116.8 mil while Panda is at $117.1.

-Jason "probably takes 2 more weekends for Panda to crawl past Peanuts... changes nothing for me, 4-for-6 ties me with a million people for 2nd place" Evans
    Yup, 4/6 for me too. All 6 of mine appear to be top 8, though, as it looks like Peanuts and Dino will end up 7 and 8. Not that that means anything. 😜

Wait, if Panda crawls in that makes me 5 for 6. Would I win or tie for the win? This is the first time I've done one of these here, so I think I may not have paid enough attention - sorry.

4 for 6 for me, too.

"I'm #2! I'm #2! I'm #2!"

Quote Originally Posted by gurufrisbee View Post
    Wait, if Panda crawls in that makes me 5 for 6. Would I win or tie for the win? This is the first time I've done one of these here, so I think I may not have paid enough attention - sorry.
    If Panda takes the #6 spot, then there is a 3-way tie w/ you, me, and davekay.

However, since you took Daddy's Home (we did not), but we took Revenant (and you did not), then I'm not sure if there are any tie-breaker rules (since Revenant would finish #4 and Daddy's Home #5)

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post

However, since you took Daddy's Home (we did not), but we took Revenant (and you did not), then I'm not sure if there are any tie-breaker rules (since Revenant would finish #4 and Daddy's Home #5)
    We don't do tiebreakers. All three of you will share the crown. That said, I am more impressed with someone who picked Daddy, which was not even on our list, than I am with Revenant, which was (though only 5 people picked it).

--Jason "frankly, anyone who managed to avoid the Good Dino trap should be widely praised as a winner" Evans

--Jason "frankly, anyone who managed to avoid the Good Dino trap should be widely praised as a winner" Evans
    Seems to me there were plenty of movie goers who avoided that trap

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post

I'm cool with a co-championship. We each get to wear the championship shirt for 4 months, right? Works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by gurufrisbee View Post
    I'm cool with a co-championship. We each get to wear the championship shirt for 4 months, right? Works for me.
    Wait, there's a shirt?! I never got mine!
    😜

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    Wait, there's a shirt?! I never got mine!
    😜
    Yes, but since we only got 5/6 right, we only get 83% of a shirt...