Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    Wow! You nailed me!

I think my point on tolerance has been made.
    At the risk of being obtuse and/or furthering a fruitless back-and-forth, I see no way my words made your point regarding intolerance.

Am I mistaken in believing that K's support of a brave coach doesn't infringe on anyone else's rights?

Kudos to the coach, kudos to K, kudos to the folks on the board who seem to "get" it.

Ok, ok... enough already.

OldNavy made his point and showed how he feels. Others have responded with their feelings too. Lets leave that discussion alone.

And for folks wondering about the deleted posts, WakeDevil posted something that clearly took this discussion in a decidedly political direction. The post was deleted (as were a couple replies that were largely attempting to calm things) and an infraction is being issued. That should be warning enough that taking this into the PPB realm will not be tolerated.

I would ask that we all be careful moving forward about the line between fighting homophobia (which is not a PPB issue any more than other forms of discrimination like racism or religious persecution are) and issues like abortion, same-sex marriage, gun control, prayer in school, and raising the debt ceiling.

-Jason "hope that makes sense to everyone" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Makes sense to drop the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    During Duke's recent visit to the White House, Coach K also invited President Obama to attend a game at Cameron -- where I'm sure he'll get to visit the locker room as well -- and K went out of his way to highly praise the President. Re: H.W. Bush, he and Coach K apparently are friends that have worked together for many years to fight cancer. In the locker room, H.W. actually presented Coach with some award having to do with that collaboration.

Isn't it basically just one writer, John Feinstein, in that ACC book he wrote in the mid 90s, that speculated about this? I believe the release of Feinstein's book was when the Coach-K-is-conservative meme went viral. But, having read that book as I'm sure many DBR posters have, I don't recall Feinstein being able to quote Coach K on any political statements. It was speculation by Feinstein to draw a juicy juxtaposition -- how in NC, if sainted Dean and devil K were both to run for office, the conservative NC voters would have to choose K over their beloved but liberal Dean.

Were there any other political moments besides holding the fundraiser for Dole?

I guess I'm in information-gathering mode right now. It seems to just be assumed at this point that Coach K is conservative/Republican, which is strange because he's spent 40 years as a coach not commenting on politics (as far as I know). If it's really just Feinstein + fundraiser that led to this given assumption, I find that to be a bit flimsy.

Look, I don't really care either way. Whether he's Republican, Democrat, or Independent, I would admire his career on and off the court just the same. I'm just trying to trace back the origins of why we think what we think about his politics. If somebody can put some meat on that bone for me, I'd be grateful.

Pretty tricky, Troublemaker. You are trying to get me to defend John Feinstein on this list and be subject to condemnation, not only on DBR, but also on fan lists everywhere. As I recall, J.F. said something to the effect that he personally is much closer to Dean Smith politically than to K, and he viewed it as ironic given his Duke loyalties. It's a pretty good source -- given JF's long-time links to Duke and Coach K -- but I can't remember if others have written about K's non-basketball activities.

Kindly,
    Sage
    'Dean's "liberal" credentials are well-established because of his public actions and statements during the desegregation conflicts in North Carolina in the 1960's'
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Makes sense to drop the whole thing.
    Are we voting? If so, I'm with Indoor. It's just hard to see anything useful or cathartic that hasn't already been expressed. And I say that appreciating the many comments with disparate views. But once you've covered the ground, time to plow a new field.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Ok, ok... enough already.

OldNavy made his point and showed how he feels. Others have responded with their feelings too. Lets leave that discussion alone. ...

The intolerance regarding others' feelings on tolerance? You have GOT to let it continue ...

At least until the season starts

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    The intolerance regarding others' feelings on tolerance? You have GOT to let it continue ...

At least until the season starts
    I am rabidly intolerant of certain shades of blue.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I am rabidly intolerant of certain shades of blue.
    Well played, Sir!
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Well played, Sir!
    That is an intolerance I can get behind!!

is being intolerant of other people's intolerance a mobius loop?
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

I'm certainly the least liked poster on this board but at least I can keep it interesting until the season starts.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke3517 View Post
    I'm certainly the least liked poster on this board but at least I can keep it interesting until the season starts.
    There are a few posters that I like less than you... so far. But keep up the bad grammar and syntax errors and you are sure to crack the top three in no time.

Sympathy sporks for now. Flames at the ready.

Our coach has done more than tolerate the choice of this young coach to inform his team of something that, until very recently, would have been career suicide.

He's celebrated him for it, privately and now, publicly.

I'm grateful Coach is our coach for so many reasons. He is far from perfect, but this was a good, selfless act in support of someone that did not ask for Coach's kindness, but has surely appreciated it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    Our coach has done more than tolerate the choice of this young coach to inform his team of something that, until very recently, would have been career suicide.

He's celebrated him for it, privately and now, publicly.

I'm grateful Coach is our coach for so many reasons. He is far from perfect, but this was a good, selfless act in support of someone that did not ask for Coach's kindness, but has surely appreciated it.
    You say Coach K "celebrated" the action but what I saw was Coach K giving a private congratulation and support to an individual taking a risky step. The recipient made the communication and action public. K was private.

You say Coach K "celebrated" the action but what I saw was Coach K giving a private congratulation and support to an individual taking a risky step. The recipient made the communication and action public. K was private.
    Actually, Coach K made his support and congratulations very clear in an interview with USA Today about it afterwards. So he was clearly willing to make it public. If you read the USA Today article, I think you would agree that the quotations on celebrate are unnecessary. He made it quite clear that he thinks this is a good thing. Heck, Coach even used the word celebrated himself.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Actually, Coach K made his support and congratulations very clear in an interview with USA Today about it afterwards. So he was clearly willing to make it public. If you read the USA Today article, I think you would agree that the quotations on celebrate are unnecessary. He made it quite clear that he thinks this is a good thing. Heck, Coach even used the word celebrated himself.
    K did not make it public. It became public and he responded to questions and I applaud him for it. But he did not go public with the story.

K did not make it public. It became public and he responded to questions and I applaud him for it. But he did not go public with the story.
    The quote you referred to in disagreement said Coach K celebrated Burns privately and now publicly. It did not purport that Coach K went to the press first, just that he did celebrate Burns both privately and publicly. And based on the public statements to USA Today, that is absolutely the case. There is nothing incorrect about what Mike Corey said.

If Coach K had any reservations about his celebration of Burns, he could have chosen not to respond to USA Today, or he could have been more generic/bland in his public statements. But he wasn't. He was quite unequivocal and detailed in his praise and celebration of Burns even in the USA Today interview.

It was not Coach K's story to go public with. But whether or not Coach K was the one who brought it up is irrelevant to Mike Corey's point. Coach K was willingly and knowingly effusive in his public praise of Burns, which was Corey's point.