Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    I'm a little surprised Jabari still hasn't been ranked yet. Maybe he'll fall in the 50's somewhere.

Here's a Q&A with Okafor where he talks about expectations, how he's going to handle losing a lot of games, and more: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13...-jahlil-okafor
    Jabari's in the top 50, meaning that Milwaukee joins Chicago as the only teams with four players in the top 50. Hiawatha Line rivalry is on this year, CDu!

Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    Jabari's in the top 50, meaning that Milwaukee joins Chicago as the only teams with four players in the top 50. Hiawatha Line rivalry is on this year, CDu!
    Jabari comes in at No. 49 up from No. 95 last season. Kyrie is the only former Duke player yet to be ranked.

Jabari comes in at No. 49 up from No. 95 last season. Kyrie is the only former Duke player yet to be ranked.
    There is no doubt that Jabari is a top 50 talent, but I'm kinda shocked he's ranked that high given he only played 18 games last year. He showed potential (and he was the ROY front-runner at that point), but there are still a lot of question marks. Top 50 isn't All-Star, but it is "second banana" territory (ie second best player on the team). If that's what the experts think of Jabari, then that's awesome for Jabari. Hopefully he lives up to it this year (and with a clean bill of health).
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

A good Austin Rivers read

Grantland ran a good piece on Austin Rivers today.

http://grantland.com/features/ball-i...eles-clippers/

Quote Originally Posted by JetpackJesus View Post
    Grantland ran a good piece on Austin Rivers today.

http://grantland.com/features/ball-i...eles-clippers/
    I also thought that was a good read. I appreciated the candor with which the Rivers family spoke.

I also thought it was worth adding a congratulations to Tricia Liston, WNBA champion, here (didn't think it necessarily merited a new thread).

Seth Curry getting a SportsCenter commercial in his new Kings colors:

He's still got it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKxAhXLViuk

A game-winning goal is nice we secure your place on the roster

Quote Originally Posted by huey View Post
    He's still got it!

When did he have that?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

A few things:

a) that may be the most athletic move I've seen Ryan Kelly do

b) I like the beard and hair. He's clearly trying to look like an Eastern European mobster and it's working

c) this may be the only cause for celebration the Lakers have all year
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post

Co-Sign!!!! Maybe he really was hurt for most of his Duke career. My goodness, dude has VERTS!

The White Raven flies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post

A few things:

b) I like the beard and hair. He's clearly trying to look like an Eastern European mobster and it's working

c) this may be the only cause for celebration the Lakers have all year
    I know that basically every school can play the "what if" game . . . but is there any doubt that 2013, a good year by any measure, might have been much, much better if Seth and Ryan were both fully healthy? Seth was excellent that season operating on one leg, and Ryan was great when he was healthy (most notably his return game against Miami in Cameron). But a fully healthy Seth and a fully healthy Ryan for the whole season would have changed the outlook of that team. It might've meant one or two more regular season wins which could have given us a better ACCT seed or simply allowed us to beat Maryland and secure a number 1. Then we would've avoided Louisville until the Final Four. Also, we would have had a fully healthy Seth and a fully healthy and recovered Ryan to play better defense and possibly secure a second win against those guys that season. Anyway . . . I hope things work out for Ryan. He was an excellent player for Duke, but injuries definitely held him back a little. Hopefully he'll get a real chance to make a mark in the league this season.

He's still got it!

I watched him play in a pre season game over the weekend and I thought he looked very composed and confident.

Kevin B. says Hi!

-jk

He must have been excited to be running into Cameron, just like old times. Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    I know that basically every school can play the "what if" game . . . but is there any doubt that 2013, a good year by any measure, might have been much, much better if Seth and Ryan were both fully healthy? Seth was excellent that season operating on one leg, and Ryan was great when he was healthy (most notably his return game against Miami in Cameron). But a fully healthy Seth and a fully healthy Ryan for the whole season would have changed the outlook of that team. It might've meant one or two more regular season wins which could have given us a better ACCT seed or simply allowed us to beat Maryland and secure a number 1. Then we would've avoided Louisville until the Final Four. Also, we would have had a fully healthy Seth and a fully healthy and recovered Ryan to play better defense and possibly secure a second win against those guys that season. Anyway . . . I hope things work out for Ryan. He was an excellent player for Duke, but injuries definitely held him back a little. Hopefully he'll get a real chance to make a mark in the league this season.
    Same could be said if Kyrie didn't get injured in the 10-11 season. If he doesn't go down injured I think they would have had a legitimate shot to repeat

Back to the real world. Miami on ESPN tonight. Looking forward to see some Duke guys in action...

Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    Looking forward to it. The Bucks are up and coming for sure. The addition of Monroe helps, as does getting Parker back. I think my Bulls will still be better, but it will be interesting for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    I don't remember if it was before Ryan's senior season or after but he was statistically the most efficient scorer in ACC history over guys like Reddick, Hansbrough and Jordan.

Only source I have/had was a college basketball magazine which I can't find any longer
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by blynch923 View Post
    Same could be said if Kyrie didn't get injured in the 10-11 season. If he doesn't go down injured I think they would have had a legitimate shot to repeat
    If we want to play what-if, we can go all the way back to Bob Verga's strep throat in 1966, with stops along the way in 1979 (Bender, Dennard), 1985 (Henderson), 1989 (Brickey), 1993 (Hill, Parks), 1998 (Brand) and 2000 (Dunleavy) among others.

Of course, so can lots of other teams. Imagine being a St. Bonaventure fan and the only time your school ever makes the Final Four, it does so in a game in which the best player in school history--Bob Lanier--tears up a knee late in the game and misses the Final Four.

Well Kyrie comes in at No. 18 on ESPN's NBA Rank, he was 23rd last year. Thought he might be a little higher (Jimmy Butler is No.17 for example and I would put Kyrie ahead of him), but you can make an argument for pretty much anyone to be higher/lower.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13.../nbarank-16-20

18. Kyrie Irving
    49. Jabari Parker
    73. JJ Redick
    90. Jahlil Okafor
    92. Luol Deng
    128. Mason Plumlee
    161. Justise Winslow
    166. Mike Dunleavy
    174. Josh McRoberts
    176. Gerald Henderson
    181. Miles Plumlee
    185. Rodney Hood
    193. Kyle Singler
    270. Tyus Jones
    285. Austin Rivers
    325. Seth Curry
    334. Ryan Kelly
    381. Carols Boozer
    398. Lance Thomas

Side note - I do think Draymond Green at No. 19 is a bit ridiculous.

Well Kyrie comes in at No. 18 on ESPN's NBA Rank, he was 23rd last year. Thought he might be a little higher (Jimmy Butler is No.17 for example and I would put Kyrie ahead of him), but you can make an argument for pretty much anyone to be higher/lower.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13.../nbarank-16-20

18. Kyrie Irving
    49. Jabari Parker
    73. JJ Redick
    90. Jahlil Okafor
    92. Luol Deng
    128. Mason Plumlee
    161. Justise Winslow
    166. Mike Dunleavy
    174. Josh McRoberts
    176. Gerald Henderson
    181. Miles Plumlee
    185. Rodney Hood
    193. Kyle Singler
    270. Tyus Jones
    285. Austin Rivers
    325. Seth Curry
    334. Ryan Kelly
    381. Carols Boozer
    398. Lance Thomas

Side note - I do think Draymond Green at No. 19 is a bit ridiculous.
    Nineteen guys!! That's astonishing. There are a fair number of ACC schools that haven't had 19 NBA players in their entire history.

And that could be a conservative figure. Dahntay Jones signed with the Nets in the offseason. Andre Dawkins and likely Quinn Cook will start in the NBDL and Nolan Smith has ambitions of coming back from a knee injury at mid-season.