Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    The Weather Channel has gone into an orgiastic lather over Joaquin and the many possibilities he presents.
    Right now the various models differ widely, so one one really has a clue where he'll end up, though it's clear with or
    without Joaquin, there is going to be a lot of rain in Durham this weekend.

Having said that, one of the models, the U.S. one, calls for Joaquin to make a beeline for Durham, dropping 12-18 inches of rain this weekend.
    Might need to pack a snorkel in my carryon...too preliminary to panic, but this could get interesting. I hear Coach Cut might have the team practice in the
    pool tomorrow.
    As OF stated, Joaquin will probably not be crossing the border until at least Sunday making it a non-event for the game. Regular old weather is probably going to make it wet anyway.

TWC goes into an orgiastic lather over any tropical storm that might allow them to send some guy out to stand in wind and rain for the camera. This one is in a very unpredictable mode right now which is even better as it allows them to speculate wildly without needing to be held accountable. They will also always choose to promote the path of most destruction to increase ratings.

I expect that about mid-day on Friday is when the models will stabilize on this one and they will be able to make a decent prediction on where it is headed. In the meantime, it's a bad time to be in the Bahamas.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I wish to subscribe to this gentleman's Duke football (and basketball) notes/updates.
    That's one of the major reasons I am on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    After some effort. I have found the Duke-BC game on local television. It will be shown on Fox Sports Carolinas at 6:00 AM on Sunday morning. At 3:30 PM on Saturday afternoon, Kentucky at Rice will be shown locally. This is according to the Time Warner schedule for the Central Carolina area. Blackout? Looks like it.

Unless I can set up my Samsung TV to stream the game live from ESPN3, I am doomed to watch it on my computer screen. Mrs Jarhead and I live in a pretty nice retirement community at which our internet access is via a campus wide wi-fi network. It cannot be used for streaming via my computer, but my Samsung can handle if I knew how.
    Check your TV on Saturday. The game might show up. The Fox Sports South listing for TWC in your area is listing WKU/Rice on both channels 38 and 318. In Charlotte, TWC shows BC/Duke on FSS on channel 40 and WKU/Rice on channel 318. So your listing might be in error that it shows both channels with the same game.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    Check your TV on Saturday. The game might show up. The Fox Sports South listing for TWC in your area is listing WKU/Rice on both channels 38 and 318. In Charlotte, TWC shows BC/Duke on FSS on channel 40 and WKU/Rice on channel 318. So your listing might be in error that it shows both channels with the same game.
    This is good advice -- according to the ACC, the Duke-BC game is on Fox Sports South and Fox Sports Carolina. There is no blackout. If you have TWC, you should have the game live.

BTW: Listening to WRAL weather tonight at 11 p.m. and the latest forecast is light and scattered rain for the Triangle Saturday. They said that we'll be between systems Saturday after heavy rain Friday and Friday night and the impact of the approaching Hurricane on Sunday into Monday.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...st-percentages

Over/Under on 25,000 showing up?

Kinda sad the article mentioned only 20,000 watched Duke beat GT. Was attendance already discussed in the Georgia Tech thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Faison1 View Post
    http://espn.go.com/college-football/...st-percentages

Over/Under on 25,000 showing up?

Kinda sad the article mentioned only 20,000 watched Duke beat GT. Was attendance already discussed in the Georgia Tech thread?
    it was cold, raining, and miserable.

except for the football part. that was good.

doubt there were even 20k there.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    BTW: Listening to WRAL weather tonight at 11 p.m. and the latest forecast is light and scattered rain for the Triangle Saturday. They said that we'll be between systems Saturday after heavy rain Friday and Friday night and the impact of the approaching Hurricane on Sunday into Monday.
    This is great news. I'm not concerned about sitting in the rain to watch the game, but driving to and from Durham in heavy rain is concerning.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    doubt there were even 20k there.
    There wasn't, I walked around at halftime and counted.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    This is good advice -- according to the ACC, the Duke-BC game is on Fox Sports South and Fox Sports Carolina. There is no blackout. If you have TWC, you should have the game live.

Watched htat last night as well trying to gauge things. Have to watch the next couple of nights to see what's going on as I can't exactly venture out to a game with a 4 month old boy if the weather is going to be rainy and cold. Hoping we can get there though.
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

My best read, at this point, is that SunSports will carry the game in South Florida. No certainty, just an educated guess. I hope the weather cooperates and the storm swings East out of the Bahamas.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    The Weather Channel has gone into an orgiastic lather
    Don't they always? And local weather is just as bad. I live in the coastal plains region, and it's always funny to me when the weather anchors sound disappointed when a storm that was supposed to pound us misses us completely and fails to make their career relevant in this day and age of online weather reports and radar.

"So it doesn't look like at this point we will see any major wind or precipitation from this storm system" (sounding sad and delfated that they didn't get to go out to the pier with a raincoat and get a shot of themselves braving the elements)

But then they remember they're not supposed to WANT us to get pounded by a storm...

"But that's a good thing. We really dodged a bullet here." (Trying to find silver linings)
    Last edited by left_hook_lacey; 10-01-2015 at 11:27 AM.

The Weather Channel gets a lot of drive-by viewings. People spend a couple of minutes getting their local update and then forget about it.

Unless.

There's a hurricane approaching.

Or a series of bad thunderstorms.

Or an outbreak of tornadoes.

Or a blizzard.

Then people stay and sit a spell.

Which drives ratings.

Which drives ad revenue.

Which drives salaries.

The same for local news. I've had people who work at local TV stations who tell me that ratings skyrocket when there's bad/dangerous weather in the mix.

Now, obviously nobody makes any of this stuff up and I can look out my window and see that it's wet and there really is a Cat-3 hurricane headed in this general direction. And it's better to be over-prepared than under-prepared.

All that said, I don't think it's unfair or over cynical to suggest that TWC and local weather have an incentive to keep people coming back that goes beyond being prepared/informed.

Not to mention that some weather folks are just bad-weather junkies. Raleigh station WRAL has a veteran weather man whose eyes light up when something bad is on the horizon. Full Def-Con-4 mode. He loves this stuff.

Dang, I'm more curious about the 3 inches of rain currently forecast for today and Friday than the half-inch forecast for Saturday. If that holds up, it's possible that nothing that falls on Saturday will drain or soak in. Meaning the possibility of standing water and mud. I guess we'll see a test of the new field's drainage engineering. Those guys do a great job with that stuff, but it's likely gonna be sloppy with a small crowd. Airowe says bet the under.

Just to update, according to the weather channel at noon today:

Up to one inch of rain in Durham Thursday, 1-2 inches during the day Friday, 1/2 inch Friday night ... then just 1/4 inch now predicted for Saturday. The monsoon won't arrive until Sunday afternoon -- if the Hurricane heads our way (or even passes slightly east of us).

More and more sounds like gametime will be wet and uncomfortable (high temps 69), but not cataclysmic.

Durham may very well get hammered and the precautions posted on the front page are justified for those in the Triangle area ... but the bad stuff isn't going to arrive until well AFTER the game Saturday. The game itself should be very similar to the Georgia Tech conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    ...some weather folks are just bad-weather junkies. Raleigh station WRAL has a veteran weather man whose eyes light up when something bad is on the horizon. Full Def-Con-4 mode. He loves this stuff.
    The late, great EarlJam is quite the weather junkie too.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    The late, great EarlJam is quite the weather junkie too.
    The late?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

The team will wear Blue - Black - Blue uniforms:

CQPNWh2VAAA7b9z.jpg
    Bob Green

The late?
    Well, at least "overdue" by now.

The late?
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Well, at least "overdue" by now.
    "Late" in DBR terms. In non-interweb life, Earl O'the Jammeth is still kicking.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    "Late" in DBR terms. In non-interweb life, Earl O'the Jammeth is still kicking.
    Whew, good to hear. These days, one never knows. My Meal Jar is still intact.

I still think it'll be a real low scoring affair on Saturday.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    Dang, I'm more curious about the 3 inches of rain currently forecast for today and Friday than the half-inch forecast for Saturday. If that holds up, it's possible that nothing that falls on Saturday will drain or soak in. Meaning the possibility of standing water and mud. I guess we'll see a test of the new field's drainage engineering. Those guys do a great job with that stuff, but it's likely gonna be sloppy with a small crowd. Airowe says bet the under.
    Duke claims it won't be a problem:

A new irrigation and drainage system will put nearly a mile of plastic pipes under the ground with gravel and then a mixture of sand and soil, with 70 percent sand and 30 percent soil, on top. The field was then sprigged with nearly 1,200 sprigs to the bushel, a high concentration to allow for a thick surface. The field will also have a new 12-inch crown, with lasers used to ensure an even crown. The drainage system, hooked into a new main sewer line, will be able to take up to nine inches an hour of rain or water away from the field's playing surface.