Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Of course, there are a lot of tossup games remaining. But the fact we beat the overwhelming favorite in the Coastal Division to open 1-0 in the ACC is a strong starting point. I don't think Duke has a sure win left in the conference (even Wake), but there's not a team we can't beat either. Keep in mind that only FSU and Clemson have won more ACC games than Duke since the start of the 2013 season. Nobody in the Coastal has been more consistent than us. In fact, only Georgia Tech (11 ACC wins) is close to us (12 ACC wins). Nobody else has more than 8 ACC wins in that span.

The truth is we don't have to beat everybody. A 6-2 ACC finish will most likely earn Duke a spot in the ACC title game (like it did in 2013, when we started 0-2 in the ACC). That's reasonable, even with a team that does have to get better on offense. Two years ago, our 0-2 ACC start could be blamed somewhat to the loss of Boone with a collarbone injury. But we also gave up 96 points in those two losses (38 to Georgia Tech and 58 to Pitt). Obviously our defense had to get better then -- and it did.

The one game at a time mantra is for players. We're fans. Of course we're going to speculate and look ahead.

PS The Boston College game means a lot. For one thing, it's a chance to open 2-0 in the ACC for the first time since 1994!
    Think Wake is a very likely win, UVA probable since they should be disinterested late in the year. Without Conner, would think we'd be favored over Pitt. Win those 3 and 2 of the others - that might do it. At the very least, with Wake and Army remaining, a bowl game seems very likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    ...we don't play FSU or Clemson...
    We might.

Wow ... haven't you heard, defense wins championships?

Duke is currently the only team in the ACC that's beaten a ranked opponent.

Seriously ... obviously the offense needs to get better. But, hey, teams do get better. It's not such a longshot. We have a young QB with some great physical skills. He should improve with experience. We have a decent OL and we've run the ball effectively against some tough defenses . We scored more points on Northwestern than Stanford did ... we scored more on Georgia Tech than Notre Dame did.

The schedule is in our favor. The defense looks better than at any time since the early 1970s. The special teams are back on track. Our 2013 team started slowly too -- and we're ahead of that pace (3-1 vs. 2-2).

Why isn't a championship feasible?
    Agree with all of this, but would add that our O line was better than decent IMO. Tech dialed up he net riot D in the second half, daring Sirk to beat them outside. We need to get better at that and I hope/expect us to do so.

PS The Boston College game means a lot. For one thing, it's a chance to open 2-0 in the ACC for the first time since 1994!
    I agree the Boston College game means a lot fortunately it means a lot for the right reason, it is an opportunity to open 2-0 in the ACC. A loss against Georgia Tech yesterday would have meant the BC game was vital as the team would be fighting to prevent an 0-2 start in the ACC.

Coach Cutcliffe called the GT victory a milestone win and I do not interpret his comment as either an overstatement or coach speak. Yesterday was huge. In his post game press conference (available in its entirety at GoDuke.com), Coach Cutcliffe said it will be important to see how the team responds to the win. The team's response to the Northwestern loss was positive, now the team has to show they can respond to a big win. I'm paraphrasing so I encourage anyone who is interested to go watch the press conference themselves. Coach Cutcliffe has interesting, thought provoking comments on many of the individual players such as Cash, Norman, Edwards, Smith, Powell and Duncan as well as the defense, special teams and offense as whole units plus he shares his thoughts on the targeting rule at the end.

Johnell Barnes will be ineligible for the 1st half against Boston College so this is an opportunity for another receiver to step up and perform.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I heard their championship trophy didn't show up, though. They gave it an 'A' nonetheless.
    Sounds like the academic philosophy for all the athletes at Orange County Community College: don't show up but get a A nonetheless.

Trendy Sleeper Coastal Division Champion pick??? I think so!

Coastal division games have wrapped up for the week, and here's where we stand:

Duke beat BC (woot woot!)
    UNC took down GT ((()
    Pitt took down VT

With the loss, VT obviously doesn't control their own destiny anymore, joining GT, who is now 2 games out.

Looking to next week:
    GT @ Clemson (rivalry)
    miami @ FSU (rivalry)
    uva @ pitt
    NCSU @ VT (OOD)

lots of out of division play going on, and obviously we root for all of those to lose. Another GT loss likely effectively eliminates them. Duke would have to lose 4 of their last 6 (knock on wood...).
    A loss by VT or miami is not as condemning at this point, since it's not to a division rival, though if pitt wins, and VT loses, VT ends up in a rather tight spot.
    I think the answer has to be to pull for uva over pitt...mostly because it seems uva stinks pretty good, and they have a slightly seemingly easier OOD, with cuse instead of UL.

That's it. duke's off from ACC play for the next two weeks, and the division will likely shake out a little by the time we run into vt.
    April 1

And then there were 3

In last week's action

Clemson kept GT in the "unvictorious" column
    FSU beat down miami
    pitt picked up another win over UVA
    and state couldn't beat VT

Georgia tech has almost no shot of winning the coastal...as both Duke and UNC would have to go 4-4...and seeing as duke and UNC play each-other, at least one will pick up one, and both yet have uva, duke has wake...etc.

So basically, thanks for trying GT, try again next year. GT can be eliminated by the end of the month if UNC wins their next and duke wins their next 2...barring any losses for GT.

pitt picked up another win, also pulling them up to 2-0. With a win over another contender VT, they are looking like they have an early chance to make a good run. The GT game on saturday would be a nice time for them to pick up their first loss

So who controls their destiny? It's down to three this week, the undefeateds, UNC, Duke and Pitt.

So what's on tap for next week?
    pitt @ gt
    vt @ miami
    WFU @ UNC (OOD)
    cuse @ UVA (OOD)

I can't believe this is happening, but obviously we want GT to knock off pitt. When was the last season we actively were pulliing for GT to win games in conference? If pitt wins, though, it's not the end of the world, as Duke and UNC still have yet to give them a loss.

Obviously we must pull for WF and Syracuse..

The VT Miami game is the interesting one. Yes miami has a loss, but it was to FSU. VT has a relative cakewalk in, but already has a loss. If we chalk the clemson game up to a loss for miami, that puts them at best 6-2...which would give them all the tiebreakers. VT on the other hand, already lost to pitt, but could still finish 7-1 with a win. I think the root has to go to miami, putting each at best 6-2.
    April 1

In last week's action

Clemson kept GT in the "unvictorious" column
    FSU beat down miami
    pitt picked up another win over UVA
    and state couldn't beat VT

Georgia tech has almost no shot of winning the coastal...as both Duke and UNC would have to go 4-4...and seeing as duke and UNC play each-other, at least one will pick up one, and both yet have uva, duke has wake...etc.

So basically, thanks for trying GT, try again next year. GT can be eliminated by the end of the month if UNC wins their next and duke wins their next 2...barring any losses for GT.

pitt picked up another win, also pulling them up to 2-0. With a win over another contender VT, they are looking like they have an early chance to make a good run. The GT game on saturday would be a nice time for them to pick up their first loss

So who controls their destiny? It's down to three this week, the undefeateds, UNC, Duke and Pitt.

So what's on tap for next week?
    pitt @ gt
    vt @ miami
    WFU @ UNC (OOD)
    cuse @ UVA (OOD)

I can't believe this is happening, but obviously we want GT to knock off pitt. When was the last season we actively were pulliing for GT to win games in conference? If pitt wins, though, it's not the end of the world, as Duke and UNC still have yet to give them a loss.

Obviously we must pull for WF and Syracuse..

The VT Miami game is the interesting one. Yes miami has a loss, but it was to FSU. VT has a relative cakewalk in, but already has a loss. If we chalk the clemson game up to a loss for miami, that puts them at best 6-2...which would give them all the tiebreakers. VT on the other hand, already lost to pitt, but could still finish 7-1 with a win. I think the root has to go to miami, putting each at best 6-2.
    Devildeac checking in with another vote for the team from W-S wearing black and gold and whatever other hues they've also added to their school colors.

Or, as always devil9f.gif.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I think I'll just watch the Miami-VPI game without pulling either way -- I'd say it works out about equally for us either way. On second thought, I'll lean a little towards Virginia Tech. They are both threats, but I think Miami has more talent ... they just have a habit of squandering that talent (especially after a tough loss to FSU). I don't want them to get any momentum or confidence.

If we end up beating them head-to-head, it won't matter that much.

I'll pull hard for Wake at UNC -- but as much because the Cheats are the Cheats as the equally valid reason that it helps us in the Coastal. Unfortunately, I have little hope a Wake winning in Kenan.

The one I'm really focused on -- from the perspective of helping us in the Coastal -- it Pitt and Georgia Tech. I know that Tech has struggled (four straight losses -- although two were to top 10 teams and the other two to Coastal contenders Duke and UNC), but they are still a dangerous team -- we saw Johnson turn things around midway though last season. They still have a lot of the talent that won the Coastal a year ago and finished in the top 10 -- including Justin Thomas at QB. I haven't looked at the odds, but I think this game is really a tossup.

I think I'll just watch the Miami-VPI game without pulling either way -- I'd say it works out about equally for us either way. On second thought, I'll lean a little towards Virginia Tech. They are both threats, but I think Miami has more talent ... they just have a habit of squandering that talent (especially after a tough loss to FSU). I don't want them to get any momentum or confidence.

If we end up beating them head-to-head, it won't matter that much.

I cannot really "root" for either of these teams. I do feel sorry that Beamer is hitting such a touch stretch and is likely in his last year of coaching. We have to beat them both, so kind of a wash for me.

I'll pull hard for Wake at UNC -- but as much because the Cheats are the Cheats as the equally valid reason that it helps us in the Coastal. Unfortunately, I have little hope a Wake winning in Kenan.

9F. All day, every day. Glad when other reasons align too.

The one I'm really focused on -- from the perspective of helping us in the Coastal -- it Pitt and Georgia Tech. I know that Tech has struggled (four straight losses -- although two were to top 10 teams and the other two to Coastal contenders Duke and UNC), but they are still a dangerous team -- we saw Johnson turn things around midway though last season. They still have a lot of the talent that won the Coastal a year ago and finished in the top 10 -- including Justin Thomas at QB. I haven't looked at the odds, but I think this game is really a tossup.

Boy, it's hard for me to pull for Paul Johnson. Four straight losses, and FSU next week -- this is as "much win" as anything they have left (okay, UGa still looms at the end of the year). I am torn on the "rather have Pitt lose a step in the conference race" versus "hate to play Pitt right after a loss" so I guess I'll have a cold beer or two and enjoy. Within ten minutes, I'll know for whom I shall root.
    Good breakdown, my personal views in bold.

The one I'm really focused on -- from the perspective of helping us in the Coastal -- it Pitt and Georgia Tech. I haven't looked at the odds, but I think this game is really a tossup.
    Based on the current situation of numerical ratings, a lot of ACC games are essentially tossups that have to be won on the field. The teams basically break into 3 groups:

1) Clemson and FSU - Should be expected to win any game against the rest of the league.
    2) UVA, Wake, BC, Syracuse - Should be expected to lose to the rest of the league. Tossups within the group.
    3) Everybody else - should be underdogs or favored heavily against groups 1 and 2 and close to tossups against the main body of teams.

NCSU seems to be trying to get themselves into group 2 the last couple weeks but the numbers don't show it yet.

I can't imagine any clarity for another two weeks, but I do agree with the general breakdown of groupings above.

Boy, it's hard for me to pull for Paul Johnson. Four straight losses, and FSU next week -- this is as "much win" as anything they have left (okay, UGa still looms at the end of the year). I am torn on the "rather have Pitt lose a step in the conference race" versus "hate to play Pitt right after a loss" so I guess I'll have a cold beer or two and enjoy. Within ten minutes, I'll know for whom I shall root

Interesting take as far as figuring your emotions out as the game plays out.

Last Sunday night, I turned on the Pats at the Cowboys. I hate both teams. I wasn't sure I could watch, but after five minutes I found myself pulling for the Cheating Patriots, hoping they would pour it on "America's (Self-Proclaimed) Team". Just the sight of Jerry Jones makes we want to kick in the screen. I'll go back to hating the Patriots next week.

Something similar happened when I was in college. I was at the ACC Tournament when South Carolina upset North Carolina in the Championship game. The next week, the East Regionals were in Raleigh and I had tickets. My friend and I went, planning to support the ACC champion, despite our distaste for Frank McGuire's thuggish program. Not five minutes into the game, we were standing in our seats, cheering for Penn ... and we came back the next day to cheer Digger Phelps' Fordham team past South Carolina in the consolation game.

To be fair, we didn't know what a douche Digger was at the time ... but we did know about the Gamecocks. No matter how much Duke hate is out there these days, it's not 1/10th -- not 1/100th, not 1/1000th -- of the hate ACC fans held for the Gamecocks in those days.

I guess my point is that sometimes our emotions dictate our attitudes. I'm pretty sure that I'll be pulling for the two Tech teams Saturday. But I won't know for sure until I sit back and start watching.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    ESPN's ACC blog takes note...
    After the Duke Blue Devils knocked off the preseason favorite Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets a few weeks ago, safety Jeremy Cash proclaimed the Coastal Division now runs through Durham.

Bold?

Not really. Cash has a point.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/i...again-its-duke
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

It is SO hard to root for Paul Johnson . . . .

guess I can find a silver lining no matter how this one ends. Should be a good finish.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    It is SO hard to root for Paul Johnson . . . .

guess I can find a silver lining no matter how this one ends. Should be a good finish.
    Pitt has 3rd and 12 at the GT 36 with 1:30 to go. Not sure anyone can trust Pitt to kick a (potential) game-winning FG if they don't get the 1st down.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Pitt has 3rd and 12 at the GT 36 with 1:30 to go. Not sure anyone can trust Pitt to kick a (potential) game-winning FG if they don't get the 1st down.
    Oh, my. Blewitt didn't this year. 56 yarder on 4th and 12 with 1:11 remaining.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Not sure anyone can trust Pitt to kick a (potential) game-winning FG if they don't get the 1st down.
    Blewitt answered your skepticism with a 56 yard field goal.

10 - 10

Virginia Tech at Miami is entertaining. Both offenses moving the ball at will in the 1st quarter. The Hokie quarterback, Motley, is demonstrating significant mobility.
    Bob Green

Well, our tiebreaker with Georgia Tech is almost certainly worthless now. Oh well.