Page 5 of 145 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    As long as we treat Williamson honorably and he does not accept any improper benefits from WKU, I see no problem here. He is going to check out a hot coach who makes a strong recruiting pitch. It does not automatically mean the kid will fall prey to illegal recruiting inducements.
    Nor that he has the sort of character to be tempted by such inducements.

Given his reputation around college basketball and the "open secret" of his recruiting pitch, I wouldn't be surprised if coaches recruiting Williamson let him know that involvement with Rick Stansbury would be a dealbreaker. I posted the note about Williamson as a canary in the coalmine. If major programs, like Duke, cooled on the top recruit, you could connect the dots. I suppose the other shoe dropped instead.

Williamson was supposed to visit UNC last weekend too after the WVU visit but cancelled both.
    Family illness was the excuse used.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    Williamson was supposed to visit UNC last weekend too after the WVU visit but cancelled both.
    Family illness was the excuse used.
    A syndicated South Carolina sports talk show is reporting that Zion will be at Countdown to Craziness. I bet he doesn't cancel on us.

SportsTalk@sportstalksc 7h7 hours ago
    #STRecruiting: 2018 6-7 Zion Williamson of Spartanburg will visit NC State Friday and Duke Saturday. Will be scheduling a visit to USC.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    A syndicated South Carolina sports talk show is reporting that Zion will be at Countdown to Craziness. I bet he doesn't cancel on us.

#STRecruiting: 2018 6-7 Zion Williamson of Spartanburg will visit NC State Friday and Duke Saturday. Will be scheduling a visit to USC.
    I believe Zags corroborated this source yesterday, citing that Zion will be attending CTC. Exciting news.

Zion train is coming our way! Get on board!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vaEjIFDACc

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    I believe Zags corroborated this source yesterday, citing that Zion will be attending CTC. Exciting news.
    My fave player in 2018. (Well, a case could be made for Bagley, too, I suppose). Zion is Justise with baby fat.

My fave player in 2018. (Well, a case could be made for Bagley, too, I suppose). Zion is Justise with baby fat.
    A slightly taller and, imo, slightly more skilled Justice at this stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichabod Drain View Post
    A slightly taller and, imo, slightly more skilled Justice at this stage.
    IIRC on his podcast Slater compared him to Larry Johnson, skill-wise. Sounds awesome to me either way.

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    IIRC on his podcast Slater compared him to Larry Johnson, skill-wise. Sounds awesome to me either way.
    Oh my grandmama

A Trio of 2018 Recruits at CTC

I saw earlier today that 2018 wing/guard Cameron Reddish will be attending Countdown to Craziness this weekend. He will be joined by both Zion Williamson and Tre Jones. That's three high-priority juniors attending one of our premier recruiting events.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    I saw earlier today that 2018 wing/guard Cameron Reddish will be attending Countdown to Craziness this weekend. He will be joined by both Zion Williamson and Tre Jones. That's three high-priority juniors attending one of our premier recruiting events.
    Will be interesting to see how it plays out with tre jones. Especially if we land Coleman this year.

Which recruits will make the walk across the court and join the Crazies at CTC ?

Will be interesting to see how it plays out with tre jones. Especially if we land Coleman this year.
    Tre: "Hi Tyus, good luck this season in the NBA!"

Tyus: "Thanks, bro!"

Tre: "I am considering committing to Duke."

Tyus: "That would be ace."

Tre: "Here's the thing. I'm worried that they have this other point guard. What would you do if you were me?"

Tyus: "I'd commit there anyway, take over the starting point guard spot, have the best backcourt in the nation with that other guy, become the Most Outstanding Player in the National Championship game, and get on the cover of Sports Illustrated."

Tre: "Great advice! I'm glad you're my brother."

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Tre: "Hi Tyus, good luck this season in the NBA!"

Tyus: "Thanks, bro!"

Tre: "I am considering committing to Duke."

Tyus: "That would be ace."

Tre: "Here's the thing. I'm worried that they have this other point guard. What would you do if you were me?"

Tyus: "I'd commit there anyway, take over the starting point guard spot, have the best backcourt in the nation with that other guy, become the Most Outstanding Player in the National Championship game, and get on the cover of Sports Illustrated."

Tre: "Great advice! I'm glad you're my brother."
    If only he could shoot like his brother...

If only he could shoot like his brother...
    Not that Tre will be as good as Tyus, but it's worth noting that three point shooting was perhaps the biggest weaknesses that scouts pointed out in Tyus' offensive game. Justise wasn't known for his three point shooting, either. In fact, outside of Quinn, NONE of our guys were proven three point shooters on that team (Matt had a mediocre freshman year from long range, too).

Anyway, I just say this to point out that Tre has time to improve his shooting, just as Tyus did.
    Who needs a moral victory when you can have a real one?

Anyone interested in 2017 (and some 2018) recruiting news should listen to the most recent episode of Blue Devil Lair podcast. Adam had Andrew Slater on this episode. Andrew, in my opinion, is one of the most tuned in and best college basketball recruitment guys out there. They talk with him for about the first 25 min and he gives a lot of insight into what Duke is looking to do with the 2017 class. I won't try to summarize the whole thing but some key things discussed are Duke possibly trying to land two PG's in this class, what it would take for Jackson to be OAD, and what we could expect from Trent Jr and Carter if we land them.
    BDL dropped another podcast this morning with lots of 2018 talk with Andrew Slater: https://soundcloud.com/user-46263060...ziness-preview

Slater reports that Zion Wiliamson grew up a Duke fan! Slater also gives a fuller scouting report on him with lots of raves. I still like my "Justise with baby fat" comparison better than the Larry Johnson one, but that's nitpicking.

They also discuss Cameron Reddish and Tre Jones. These three are all visiting for CTC with weekend.

The top PG in 2018, Darius Garland, will be visiting Duke this weekend per Adam Rowe.

The top PG in 2018, Darius Garland, will be visiting Duke this weekend per Adam Rowe.

Sweet. He is the son of former NBA point guard, Winston Garland. Winston played 7 years in the league, most notably in the late 80's with the Warriors. He played for 5 different NBA teams. In 1988-89 he averaged 14.5 ppg.

I know nothing about Darius, except that the Crystal Ball likes Vanderbilt. But Andrew Slater picked Duke for him. #1 PG in class sounds great to me - any chance he could or would reclassify to 2017 if we strike out on all the PG's there?

Darius Garland@dariusgarland22 3h3 hours ago
    Blessed to receive an offer from Duke University

Adam Rowe@BlueDevilLair 2h2 hours ago
    #1 point guard in 2018, Darius Garland, offered by #Duke on visit.http://247sports.com/Player/Darius-Garland-82842 …