Page 143 of 145 FirstFirst ... 4393133141142143144145 LastLast
Results 2,841 to 2,860 of 2887
    Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Would he definitely start over Bolden? Seems to me like Travis' skill set offers less to the team than Bolden. I think Bolden would still be the primary big man.

This team doesn't need another scorer, it needs interior D.

But he's not coming to Duke anyways, so it's pointless to speculate.
    I think yes and I don’t think it would be a close call. I think Travis will be an all-American - one of the three teams - and maybe even first team.

This totally changes Kentucky next year.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    With the exception of Booth, who do you think has a starting spot?
    Booth and Quinerly (if/when eligible) at guard. Paschall will start, either at SF or PF. If he's a PF (more likely now that Travis has decided against Nova), then Cremo will be in the mix, along with Samuels, Bey, and Gillespie. But if guys like Swider and/or Cosby-Roundtree end up deserving to start, then Paschall would move to SF, and then Cremo would probably come off the bench. If Quinerly is not eligible, then I'd think Cremo would probably start. Too early to say anything for sure, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    I think yes and I don’t think it would be a close call. I think Travis will be an all-American - one of the three teams - and maybe even first team.

call me a homer, but I'm going to give bolden the benefit of the doubt. I read somewhere that's he's been working hard to improve his skills and get into better physical shape.

Some have questioned Reid Travis's rationale for going to Kentucky. While all I know about UK is what I read here, the answer seems obvious. He will play with four point guards, each of whom wants to register assists. It seems like an ideal situation for a big man.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    But will he see the second weekend of the NCAAT?
    Pretty sure he has access to a TV

Reid Travis?

I tend to pooh-pooh claims of "recruiting over" someone.

But it's different with a grad-student. I believe that Duke felt like it has asked Bolden and DeLaurier to wait for their time and it's now their time. They've earned the opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Reid Travis?

I tend to pooh-pooh claims of "recruiting over" someone.

But it's different with a grad-student. I believe that Duke felt like it has asked Bolden and DeLaurier to wait for their time and it's now their time. They've earned the opportunity.
    I agree. And while Travis is unquestionably the more accomplished player and better scorer, I think Bolden and DeLaurier provide a better fit for this team. Their length and shot-changing ability will pair nicely with the offensive firepower of the freshmen and (in a lesser role obviously) O’Connell..

Personally think this is a bit much. Travis plays very little D and doesn’t block shots. He’s terrible in all advanced metrics. Sure he’s a good get but I don’t think he’s some major game changer. Also wonder what EJ Montgomery thinks about this.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I believe that Duke felt like it has asked Bolden and DeLaurier to wait for their time and it's now their time. They've earned the opportunity.
    I am totally on board with this. Can't wait to see what those two can do next season. I'm not so much disappointed that we didn't get Travis, I just wish he hadn't gone to UK. But I like the team we've got.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I am totally on board with this. Can't wait to see what those two can do next season. I'm not so much disappointed that we didn't get Travis, I just wish he hadn't gone to UK. But I like the team we've got.
    Did Duke try to get Reid Travis?

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post
    Did Duke try to get Reid Travis?
    Not to my knowledge. Had Duke missed on Williamson, had Bolden gone pro, had someone transferred, then maybe. But I think Travis wanted a place where he could go in right away and start at his natural power forward position. But I don't think he was going to start ahead of Williamson at the 4 and I think Bolden is a better fit at the 5 then is Travis.

So, it just wasn't a good match.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    It's a good point. Which is why Travis didn't come to Duke.

Cremo and Travis should start wherever they go. That wouldn't be guaranteed at Duke.
    We didn't pursue Cremo or Travis. Maybe they wouldn't have come anyway, but we never went after them seriously (and in the case of Travis, at all).

It's not guaranteed that they would start. Cremo's been covered, and in the case of Travis, I could envision Calipari starting two of Montgomery, Richards, and Washington instead (unless I missed some transfer news having been out of the loop the past couple of weeks). Calipari likes length and defense in there.

And I agree that Travis doesn't necessarily beat out Bolden and DeLaurier at the 5, either. Interesting note: Travis hasn't even ever primarily played the 5 in college. He's always had a center playing beside him (usually Michael Humphrey).

I think Kentucky will cause problems for us next year. Not sure why we didn't go after Reid Travis. Our lack of inside guys in scary to me. Yes we have bolden but he is only conditioned enough to play at the most 16-18 minutes a night, Davier can't seem to stay out of foul trouble when he plays other than that we have no bigs that our reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukebasketball2020 View Post
    I think Kentucky will cause problems for us next year. Not sure why we didn't go after Reid Travis. Our lack of inside guys in scary to me. Yes we have bolden but he is only conditioned enough to play at the most 16-18 minutes a night, Davier can't seem to stay out of foul trouble when he plays other than that we have no bigs that our reliable.
    So, not to nit pick, but it is "DeLaurier" not "Davier" and "no bigs that are reliable," not "no bigs that our reliable." I'm guessing you were using iPhone dictation or something like that. I do that all the time and my advice is to read your post after posting and then use that handy edit button to fix bad mistakes.

As has been discussed many times, we did not go after Reid Travis because we already had plenty of bigs and Travis might have struggled to get minutes. He is not at all of a rim protector, the way Bolden and DeLaurier are. He may have served to clog the lane when Zion and RJ attempted to drive to the hoop. He just wasn't a good fit with what we are likely to be doing next season.

Your dismissal of the quality of Duke's bigs is your right, but I disagree. I actually think we saw great progress from Bolden and DeLaurier last year and I have no reason to think that another year won't produce even more positive results. Bolden consistently played double-digit minutes throughout February for Duke, often into the high teens or even 20s, without badly laboring. I suppose one can say that he won't be able to play more, but I think that is assuming something that is far from conclusively proven. Also, I think you may be forgetting about Zion Williamson, generally regarded as the best PF prospect in the freshman class and a future high lottery pick.

-Jason "what do you see in Kentucky's front line that looks so scary? You really think PJ Washington, Reid Travis, EJ Montgomery, and Nick Richards are that great?" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    So, not to nit pick, but it is "DeLaurier" not "Davier" and "no bigs that are reliable," not "no bigs that our reliable." I'm guessing you were using iPhone dictation or something like that. I do that all the time and my advice is to read your post after posting and then use that handy edit button to fix bad mistakes.

As has been discussed many times, we did not go after Reid Travis because we already had plenty of bigs and Travis might have struggled to get minutes. He is not at all of a rim protector, the way Bolden and DeLaurier are. He may have served to clog the lane when Zion and RJ attempted to drive to the hoop. He just wasn't a good fit with what we are likely to be doing next season.

Your dismissal of the quality of Duke's bigs is your right, but I disagree. I actually think we saw great progress from Bolden and DeLaurier last year and I have no reason to think that another year won't produce even more positive results. Bolden consistently played double-digit minutes throughout February for Duke, often into the high teens or even 20s, without badly laboring. I suppose one can say that he won't be able to play more, but I think that is assuming something that is far from conclusively proven. Also, I think you may be forgetting about Zion Williamson, generally regarded as the best PF prospect in the freshman class and a future high lottery pick.

-Jason "what do you see in Kentucky's front line that looks so scary? You really think PJ Washington, Reid Travis, EJ Montgomery, and Nick Richards are that great?" Evans
    I do think UK's front line offers a ton of versatility, and is no doubt one of the best and deepest front courts in the nation. But that said, what we have ain't exactly chopped liver. I really like our 3 bigs. Hopefully they all stay healthy and the two juniors continue to improve on the type of trajectory we saw from them this past year. Sure is nice to have a couple of juniors up front. I think both Bolden and DeLaurier will surprise a lot of folks this year. They will be really good, and I think Bolden will be in the best shape of his life. This is a BIG year for him.

In the scenario that both Bolden and Delaurier get hurt or are ineffective, we still have Vrank who I think could play a Zoubek type role in the middle, and Zion could play some 5 and may do so in some small lineups regardless. Reddish is also big enough to play the 4. No team is going to go two-deep with lottery picks at all five positions. We have positional versatility and enough depth to sustain a minor injury or two, and I think that’s about all you can ask for.

As for Kentucky, I think they should be favored when we play in November but both teams will run their own race over the course of the season. High degree of variability for where they end up.

postionless basketball...i personally think next year could be something special. i'm not saying duke is going undefeated, but we're in for some incredible basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    I do think UK's front line offers a ton of versatility, and is no doubt one of the best and deepest front courts in the nation. But that said, what we have ain't exactly chopped liver. I really like our 3 bigs. Hopefully they all stay healthy and the two juniors continue to improve on the type of trajectory we saw from them this past year. Sure is nice to have a couple of juniors up front. I think both Bolden and DeLaurier will surprise a lot of folks this year. They will be really good, and I think Bolden will be in the best shape of his life. This is a BIG year for him.
    Agree completely and also think that Duke/K owed it to Bolden and DeLaurier to give them the opportunity to be the guys in the front court. The have put in the time and have earned the loyalty. That goes for Vrank as well.

Quote Originally Posted by plimnko View Post
    postionless basketball...i personally think next year could be something special. i'm not saying duke is going undefeated, but we're in for some incredible basketball.
    I am pleased to see your optimism for next year. I am not there yet. But I also live in a state where weed is legal...
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I am pleased to see your optimism for next year. I am not there yet. But I also live in a state where weed is legal...
    Sage, if you are referring to paranoia, I think you need to ask your local farmer to breed a strain that would make you recklessly optimistic.