Page 54 of 145 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 2887
    Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    247 CB Momentum sure bets the house on Kansas - 16 picks in last 3 days all Jayhawks.

http://247sports.com/PlayerInstituti...ertPredictions
    I thought we were leading for Garland. Interesting. I'd like to see us get involved with Moses Brown.

Quote Originally Posted by jaywilliams22 View Post
    I thought we were leading for Garland. Interesting. I'd like to see us get involved with Moses Brown.
    The tweet is for McCormack. Apparently we're out of the race too for Garland because we're close to signing RJ Barret.

Quote Originally Posted by plimnko View Post
    here's what i found. make of it what you will.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CollegeBask...rd_last_night/
    Rowe and Slater have now also flipped their picks away from Duke for Garland on 247 CB. Rowe for IU. I'm going to hold out hope that Slater saying Foggy means we still have a shot. I guess it could mean it's foggy between IU and Vandy, but not necessarily. Garland has said he'd love to play on a great super-team with Reddish and Jones. I love Garland's game. I think including him on that team would make us prohibitive favorite for natty in 2019 (assuming we also have Barrett - big, hopeful assumption). Garland makes everyone better, and he can fill it up.

Of course if this means that Duke is in solid shape with R. J. Barrett, nothing would please me more than getting Barrett. But if Garland really wants to win, joining our team would make for a really fun year for him, especially if we also have Barrett IMO. I think there would still be plenty of good minutes for Garland. I could still see him teaming up in the back-court with Jones, with Barrett on wing and Reddish stretch-4. Yes they'll be freshmen, but 2015 showed that some freshmen can be special.

Of course the the tea leaves don't seem to be pointing that way. Our in-home (or cancelled in home?) this week with Garland doesn't look like it went well from the very clueless outside. Maybe Garland just wants to start at point without competing or splitting minutes with Tre Jones. He is an outstanding top 10 point guard, so I couldn't blame him for that.

I'd love to land Barrett. But adding a few more players from their class like Garland, Zion, and/or Emmitt Williams would be epic.

Yes I know we'll have Javin and Vrank. I hope they are monsters, I'm rooting for them, and I'll believe they're ready to be starters for a National Championship contending team when I see it.

Speaking of the vibe that things are going well with Barrett, it's just weird to me that even after our "unbelievable" official, 5 of the last 6 on 247 CB have not been for Duke (4/6 for UK). I know 247 CB means what it means, but momentum in a certain direction can be revealing. Just maybe not this time. Like we keep saying - who is making the 247 CB picks is huge. And the guys we want picking Duke are still picking Duke for Barrett.

It's nice to see that the cheats have mostly fallen off the map with recruiting most studs. That's not how it usually goes after winning a natty. Serves them right of course since it's obviously due to the prolonged scandal. Hopefully their loss today is the start of a beautiful downward spiral on the dump. Ring the victory bell death knell!
    Last edited by richardjackson199; 09-23-2017 at 08:26 PM.

None of those predictions for Barrett were made after his visit to Duke. Most of those guys with the CB are essentially throwing darts.

Quote Originally Posted by bigperm13 View Post
    Most of those guys with the CB are essentially throwing darts.
    And the guys we want picking Duke are still picking Duke for Barrett.
    Both statements are probably true. Reminder that they actually rank their experts by accuracy: http://247sports.com/Season/2018-Bas...ExpertRankings

Rowe and Slater have now also flipped their picks away from Duke for Garland on 247 CB. Rowe for IU. I'm going to hold out hope that Slater saying Foggy means we still have a shot. I guess it could mean it's foggy between IU and Vandy, but not necessarily. Garland has said he'd love to play on a great super-team with Reddish and Jones. I love Garland's game. I think including him on that team would make us prohibitive favorite for natty in 2019 (assuming we also have Barrett - big, hopeful assumption). Garland makes everyone better, and he can fill it up.

If we're unable to sell Garland on coming, that puts a lot of pressure on our 2019 recruiting to again sign another highly-ranked PG. Tre Jones might not be OAD, but he could be (and he probably has it as a goal so he can match his brother), so we have to be prepared for that possibility. I guess that's just the way it's going to be from now on.

It's nice to see that the cheats have mostly fallen off the map with recruiting most studs. That's not how it usually goes after winning a natty. Serves them right of course since it's obviously due to the prolonged scandal. Hopefully their loss today is the start of a beautiful downward spiral on the dump. Ring the victory bell death knell!
    Except that, of course, they won the title last year and finished second the year before. Which is a trade I'm sure they'd make EVERY time. Last year still hurts - a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    Except that, of course, they won the title last year and finished second the year before. Which is a trade I'm sure they'd make EVERY time. Last year still hurts - a lot.
    I mean sure, but those results were largely thanks to top 10 recruiting classes that stayed around. They have yet to taste the bitter fruit of their lack of success on the recruiting trail. It's coming though...

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    Yeah. I thought we had them on the ropes as a program after we won in 2015.

Then 2016, which was bad enough. And last year, especially with what we thought we had...

And I don't want to hear about our head-to-head advantage. Final Fours and national championships are of paramount importance for the elite programs.

That said, we'll get both this year. ;-)

McCormack to Kansas. Made the official announcement on our local news channel.

David McCormack was on ESPN this afternoon and verbally committed to Kansas. He had a lot of recruiting interest, from Duke and others.

It's an interesting situation at KU. The team has Dedric and KJ Lawson eligible next season with Mitch Lightfoot, incoming freshman Silvio De Sousa, and possibly one or both of Billy Preston and Udoka Azubuike already committed for next season. If McCormack wanted playing time his freshman year, Kansas wasn't the place. McCormack must have liked what he heard from Self and KU about his growth and development as a player. Good luck to him there!

Now this begs the question: Where does Duke go with recruiting frontcourt players in 2018? They have extended offers to two 2019 bigs in Vernon Carey and Armando Bacot (heavy Duke lean at this moment). Do they just pass and hope that Antonio and Javin can hold down the fort for that year? Another recruit? Grad transfer? The 2018 class is decidedly bereft of post players at the top of the rankings. It will be interesting to see how the recruiting emphasis changes from here.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    David McCormack was on ESPN this afternoon and verbally committed to Kansas. He had a lot of recruiting interest, from Duke and others.

It's an interesting situation at KU. The team has Dedric and KJ Lawson eligible next season with Mitch Lightfoot, incoming freshman Silvio De Sousa, and possibly one or both of Billy Preston and Udoka Azubuike already committed for next season. If McCormack wanted playing time his freshman year, Kansas wasn't the place. McCormack must have liked what he heard from Self and KU about his growth and development as a player. Good luck to him there!

Now this begs the question: Where does Duke go with recruiting frontcourt players in 2018? They have extended offers to two 2019 bigs in Vernon Carey and Armando Bacot (heavy Duke lean at this moment). Do they just pass and hope that Antonio and Javin can hold down the fort for that year? Another recruit? Grad transfer? The 2018 class is decidedly bereft of post players at the top of the rankings. It will be interesting to see how the recruiting emphasis changes from here.
    I would note that Armando Bacot turns 18 in March, and Matthew Hurt turns 18 in April. Re-class is just part of recruiting nowadays, methinks. Watch out for those two.

Re-class and grad-student options are on the table and are not mutually exclusive.

Highly unlikely that Duke goes into next season with DeLaurier and Vrankovic as the only true post options.

Following the recent NCAAB scandals there have been a number of decommits in the 2018 class. One that interest me, is that of EJ Montgomery ( 6'10 PF). https://www.si.com/college-basketbal...-investigation

With the recent miss of David McCormack and the lack of post depth in the class, I imagine that the coaching staff will at least kick the tires, so to speak, on this one. Others here that follow recruiting closely may be able to provide more insight but I believe there was a bit of Duke interest early on in his recruitment. In the end he chose to commit pretty early in the process to Auburn. Interesting side note, he attends the same high school as and played with current Duke freshman Jordan Tucker.

N&O reporting Nassir Little involved in a bribe attempt by Miami. Not in position to link, but if true will Duke and cheats stop recruiting him?

NORTH CAROLINA
    UNC, Duke recruiting target said to be involved in college basketball scandal
    BY JONATHAN M. ALEXANDER|JALEXANDER@NEWSOBSERVER.COM
    16 mins. ago
    A five-star UNC and Duke recruiting target from the Class of 2018 is said to be involved in bribe payments to gain his commitment to the University of Miami.

According to the Miami Herald, that player appears to be [redacted]
    Last edited by -jk; 09-27-2017 at 08:00 PM. Reason: copyright

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    NORTH CAROLINA
    UNC, Duke recruiting target said to be involved in college basketball scandal
    BY JONATHAN M. ALEXANDER|JALEXANDER@NEWSOBSERVER.COM
    16 mins. ago
    A five-star UNC and Duke recruiting target from the Class of 2018 is said to be involved in bribe payments to gain his commitment to the University of Miami.

According to the Miami Herald, that player appears to be [redacted]
    Link is here:

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/c...175765261.html

If these players were involved with these schools, it leads me to believe that there's a chance they may have accepted bribes also...and now looking elsewhere. Certainly not definitive, but the quick de-commits could be an indicator.

Quote Originally Posted by jaywilliams22 View Post
    If these players were involved with these schools, it leads me to believe that there's a chance they may have accepted bribes also...and now looking elsewhere. Certainly not definitive, but the quick de-commits could be an indicator.
    This exactly. Better stay away from these decommits if you want to keep a clean program. Not worth the risk. They very well could be ruled ineligible and drag an otherwise upstanding program down. Not a good look.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilFalcon View Post
    This exactly. Better stay away from these decommits if you want to keep a clean program. Not worth the risk. They very well could be ruled ineligible and drag an otherwise upstanding program down. Not a good look.
    and on the other hand, they could be completely innocent and just don't want to join a program about to be severely penalized.