Page 1 of 145 1231151101 ... LastLast

2018 Basketball Recruiting Thread

Duke has offered Tre Jones!

https://twitter.com/trejones03?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

Quote Originally Posted by Duke95 View Post
    FIFY.

I could be wrong, but I believe you folks are pronouncing his name incorrectly.

The "J" is silent and there is an "St" sound that comes before the "o" I believe.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Stones?

Tre Stones? I don't get it?:-)

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    Tre Stones? I don't get it?:-)
    Tyus has the opposite problem that Pedro Cerrano had in major League 2.

While we are talking about pronunciation -- is it "Tray" or "Tree" or something else? Assuming the first but better to ask and get it right from the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    While we are talking about pronunciation -- is it "Tray" or "Tree" or something else? Assuming the first but better to ask and get it right from the beginning.
    It's pronounced "Tree" but his last name is pronounced "Rollins".
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by DukeFanSince1990 View Post

Thank you for posting this. One of the many movies that defined my childhood.

And agree about Tyus - he is not Pedro in Major League 2

Richard Pitino must hate Duke!

Tre was offered by Pitino and Minnesota over the summer.

Minnesota is not typically a place know for producing top hoops talent, but Tyus in 2014 and Gary Trent Jr in 2016 are truly excellent prospects. Tre Jones would seem to be another. These are the kind of guys Richard would hope to build his program around... but most recruiting experts expect all three of them to go to Duke.

Here are the Top 50 recruits from Minnesota over the past several years (according to RSCI)

2015 - none
    2014 - Tyus Jones (#7, Duke), Reid Travis (#35, Stanford... after Duke cooled on him a bit)
    2013 - none
    2012 - none
    2011 - none
    2010 - none

And here are some guys for the next few years...

2016 - Amir Coffee (ESPN #33, Minnesota)
    2017 - Gary Trent Jr (ESPN #9, uncommitted, but considered a strong Duke lean)
    2018 - Tre Jones ("top 20ish kind of talent", also considered a strong Duke lean)

So, Richard Pitino only very rarely gets a Mickie Dee kind of kid in his back yard... and ever time he does the kid seems to like Duke a lot more than they like Minnesota. Ergo, Richard Pitino must hate Duke

-Jason "Richard Pitino is connected to Rick Pitino who is connected to Louisville and I will forever, ever, ever hate Louisville for 1986... so making Richard Pitino angry makes me happy" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

well, but

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Richard Pitino is connected to Rick Pitino who is connected to Louisville and I will forever, ever, ever hate Louisville for 1986... so making Richard Pitino angry makes me happy
    I will forever have a warm space in my heart for Rick not covering the guy throwing the inbound pass (Grant Hill) in 1992.

Richard Pitino is connected to Rick Pitino who is connected to Louisville and I will forever, ever, ever hate Louisville for 1986... so making Richard Pitino angry makes me happy
    I was 8 and it was probably the only time I cried after a game. It still stings, so yes anything that hurts Louisville even in a 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon way makes me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleDevil View Post
    I was 8 and it was probably the only time I cried after a game.
    I was 27, but I still cried.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleDevil View Post
    I was 8 and it was probably the only time I cried after a game. It still stings, so yes anything that hurts Louisville even in a 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon way makes me happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I was 27, but I still cried.
    I was on West Quad. And I was simply stunned.

Minnesota is not typically a place know for producing top hoops talent, but Tyus in 2014 and Gary Trent Jr in 2016 are truly excellent prospects. Tre Jones would seem to be another. These are the kind of guys Richard would hope to build his program around... but most recruiting experts expect all three of them to go to Duke.

Here are the Top 50 recruits from Minnesota over the past several years (according to RSCI)

2015 - none
    2014 - Tyus Jones (#7, Duke), Reid Travis (#35, Stanford... after Duke cooled on him a bit)
    2013 - none
    2012 - none
    2011 - none
    2010 - none

2018 - Tre Jones ("top 20ish kind of talent", also considered a strong Duke lean)

So, Richard Pitino only very rarely gets a Mickie Dee kind of kid in his back yard... and ever time he does the kid seems to like Duke a lot more than they like Minnesota. Ergo, Richard Pitino must hate Duke

-Jason "Richard Pitino is connected to Rick Pitino who is connected to Louisville and I will forever, ever, ever hate Louisville for 1986... so making Richard Pitino angry makes me happy" Evans
    But Minnesota can lay claim to getting Kris Humphries over Duke back in 2003! (Yes, I realize the Humphries story and am glad we released him from his LOI -- although might have not hurt to have him in the Final Four against UConn when everybody else fouled out...).

2015 - none
    2013 - none
    2012 - none
    2011 - none
    2010 - none

Rashad Vaughn (RSCI #10 in 2014) also is from Minnesota, but transferred to Findlay Prep for his senior season, and unsurprisingly, played his one year of college ball at UNLV.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    But Minnesota can lay claim to getting Kris Humphries over Duke back in 2003! (Yes, I realize the Humphries story and am glad we released him from his LOI -- although might have not hurt to have him in the Final Four against UConn when everybody else fouled out...).
    nah, those refs would have had no problem coming up with a few more phantom fouls. they were on a mission.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeFanSince1990 View Post

There's a difference between not having stones and having Tre stones. Does Nike make compression wear to keep such things properly aligned/constrained?

Scout made some updates to their 2018 list. Among those changes was moving Romeo Langford up to No. 4 overall. It doesn't say it on Scout, but Duke is very interested. Scheyer and Smith visited him not long ago.

I had the chance to watch Langford in the Indiana state title game and he is good. Extremely good.

Here he is dropping 46 points in the semi-state game against two other D1 talents.

Awesome news! Would love to get this kid. Hopefully he can be a steady hand at PG who sticks around for a few years, but I also wouldn't mind if he went supernova and won a national championship like his bro

Romeo Langford(2018)

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Awesome news! Would love to get this kid. Hopefully he can be a steady hand at PG who sticks around for a few years, but I also wouldn't mind if he went supernova and won a national championship like his bro
    Even though Romeo has a good handle and passes well, I believe that he is primarily a SG(have had the pleasure of seeing him in person twice when I recently lived in Indiana). Excited that Duke has interest!