Page 39 of 145 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989139 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilFalcon View Post
    Straight from HS or two years in college. Sounds perfect to me. Would make NBA amd college better. And the kids who don't care about education and just want to get paid, but aren't quite NBA ready, can go to the D-league. So people might actually watch that... A better system for all, including the players.
    I think it makes sense and works well for baseball, but virtually no one in baseball has OAD talent...whereas a fair number of HS hoopsters do...although not nearly as many will get drafted as think they will.
    It would be unfortunate to see large numbers of kids declare right out of high school, only to find they have no place to play. Hard to legislate against bad judgment...

Am the the only one here who doesn't see the hype about Zion? Yeah is can fly and do crazy dunks but look at his highschool team they are playing guys that are the size of middle schoolers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukebasketball2020 View Post
    Am the the only one here who doesn't see the hype about Zion? Yeah is can fly and do crazy dunks but look at his highschool team they are playing guys that are the size of middle schoolers.
    Isn't that the case with most of these "next" players?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I think it makes sense and works well for baseball, but virtually no one in baseball has OAD talent...

This. From what I gather, hitting a baseball, as well as throwing it correctly is really really hard. The whole pitching thing? Whoa.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Looks like Zion's team has some pretty good length to it(can't speak to the opposition).

https://www.spartanburgdayschool.org...cs-team-id/119
    "Play and practice like you are trying to make the team." --Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    This. From what I gather, hitting a baseball, as well as throwing it correctly is really really hard. The whole pitching thing? Whoa.
    In the last 50 years or so, I think there are very, very few examples of baseball players going directly from amateur ball (high school, college or whatever) to the majors -- successfully -- without spending time in the minors.

Back in the 50's IIRC (and there is always a first time), "bonus babies" were discouraged by MLB by requiring such players to go directly to the majors and therefore occupy a place on the roster. Harmon Killebrew did this, but basically spent five years on the old Senators' bench before having a breakout year with 42 homers.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I think it makes sense and works well for baseball, but virtually no one in baseball has OAD talent...whereas a fair number of HS hoopsters do...although not nearly as many will get drafted as think they will.
    It would be unfortunate to see large numbers of kids declare right out of high school, only to find they have no place to play. Hard to legislate against bad judgment...
    I absolutely hate the current system. I also have a very strong bias towards going to college (as likely do most posters here, particularly fellow Duke alums). That being said, not everyone wants to nor should go to college. I found my four years at Duke to be the most rewarding years of my life, but not everyone wants that. The current system almost forces everyone to go to college if they want to be a pro basketball player. For some people, this is a waste of their time. And I'm not just talking about those who will be top draft picks. Some people just don't have any interest in being there, so why waste their time and why waste a seat on campus. College is not just a pre-professional experience - it is about personal growth, relationships, etc. and in my ideal society, everyone would want that and would want to benefit from that, but that is not the case. We cannot legislate this for everyone.

[QUOTE=weezie;997006]This. From what I gather, hitting a baseball, as well as throwing it correctly is really really hard. The whole pitching thing?
    I've heard it said that hitting a baseball is the hardest thing in sports. It certainly was for me.

[QUOTE=53n206;997012]
    This. From what I gather, hitting a baseball, as well as throwing it correctly is really really hard. The whole pitching thing?
    I've heard it said that hitting a baseball is the hardest thing in sports. It certainly was for me.
    You should try dunking when you are 5'9".

[QUOTE=DukeFanSince1990;997023]
    Quote Originally Posted by 53n206 View Post

You should try dunking when you are 5'9".
    I'm 6'2 and run into the same problem...

[QUOTE=Selover;997029]
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeFanSince1990 View Post

I'm 6'2 and run into the same problem...
    I have a beer belly and I have the same problem.

I'm in my 70s and shocked that I cannot do the things I enjoyed in my 20s.
    This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
    No trees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I absolutely hate the current system. I also have a very strong bias towards going to college (as likely do most posters here, particularly fellow Duke alums). That being said, not everyone wants to nor should go to college. I found my four years at Duke to be the most rewarding years of my life, but not everyone wants that. The current system almost forces everyone to go to college if they want to be a pro basketball player. For some people, this is a waste of their time. And I'm not just talking about those who will be top draft picks. Some people just don't have any interest in being there, so why waste their time and why waste a seat on campus. College is not just a pre-professional experience - it is about personal growth, relationships, etc. and in my ideal society, everyone would want that and would want to benefit from that, but that is not the case. We cannot legislate this for everyone.
    This is a great post. College is not for everyone. There are options for those that don't want to go such as the D-league if the player cannot make an NBA roster. I do think that the colleges need to do something to protect their game before it totally crashes. Let anyone that wants to go pro out of high school go. if they do elect to go to college there must be a set time that they have to stay before they can then turn pro. the baseball model seems to work, and the NBA could put it into effect with negotiations with the player's union. The union should be in favor for what seems like obvious reasons such as protecting the jobs of the players already in the league. The vast majority of players will get good coaching in college and get to the NBA far better prepared and also several years older and more mature. Seems like a win for everyone to me.

Colleges at the elite level don't recruit off of high-school results. They recruit off the summer circuit, where opponents don't look or play like middle schoolers.

Zion Williamson has demonstrated his talents at that level.

especially true if you are a Detroit Tiger it would seem.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlDuke72 View Post
    This is a great post. College is not for everyone. There are options for those that don't want to go such as the D-league if the player cannot make an NBA roster. I do think that the colleges need to do something to protect their game before it totally crashes. Let anyone that wants to go pro out of high school go. if they do elect to go to college there must be a set time that they have to stay before they can then turn pro. the baseball model seems to work, and the NBA could put it into effect with negotiations with the player's union. The union should be in favor for what seems like obvious reasons such as protecting the jobs of the players already in the league. The vast majority of players will get good coaching in college and get to the NBA far better prepared and also several years older and more mature. Seems like a win for everyone to me.
    That's why the baseball system is nicely flexible. Our local burg has a Single A team, and some of the players come from college, but most come from high school...many are from Latin America. They can begin the professional process
    at a suitably low level.

especially true if you are a Detroit Tiger it would seem.
    Hmm. Seems pretty easy to kick a downtrodden Tiger though.

Still, even though it was a hanging curveball, you got all of that one, and took it DEEP.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Hmm. Seems pretty easy to kick a downtrodden Tiger though.

Still, even though it was a hanging curveball, you got all of that one, and took it DEEP.
    But as happens in Wrigley, the wind was blowing in and you only had warning track power!

Emmitt Williams Cuts List to 7

Highly touted power forward Emmitt Williams announced a final group of 7 schools he's considering via twitter. The little video is fairly amusing to watch with its MS Paint qualities.

https://twitter.com/reale1t1/status/900163516296036352

The list of schools he's considering is also quite interesting: Duke, Florida, Kansas, LSU, Miami, Oregon, and USC (Trojans, not Gamecocks). That's a peculiar group of schools to consider, for sure. I don't think I recall the last time Duke was battling LSU (Chris Duhon?) or Oregon (Kyle Singler?). Florida and Miami make sense for the Florida native as his local school choices. Duke and Kansas are frequent options for many Top 25 players. And USC is really showing up as a major recruiter with Andy Enfield's recent NCAA Tournament success with Florida Gulf Coast and now the Trojans.

Just going off of the 247 Crystal Ball (for whatever that is worth), there appears to be a considerable trend towards Oregon of late. Duke insider Andrew Slater recently put in a prediction for the Ducks. I guess I assumed that Duke would be more competitive with Williams now that Marvin Bagley is Durham for the 2017-18 season. We'll see if Duke gets an official visit and more interest from Williams.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Highly touted power forward Emmitt Williams announced a final group of 7 schools he's considering via twitter. The little video is fairly amusing to watch with its MS Paint qualities.

https://twitter.com/reale1t1/status/900163516296036352

The list of schools he's considering is also quite interesting: Duke, Florida, Kansas, LSU, Miami, Oregon, and USC (Trojans, not Gamecocks). That's a peculiar group of schools to consider, for sure. I don't think I recall the last time Duke was battling LSU (Chris Duhon?) or Oregon (Kyle Singler?). Florida and Miami make sense for the Florida native as his local school choices. Duke and Kansas are frequent options for many Top 25 players. And USC is really showing up as a major recruiter with Andy Enfield's recent NCAA Tournament success with Florida Gulf Coast and now the Trojans.

Just going off of the 247 Crystal Ball (for whatever that is worth), there appears to be a considerable trend towards Oregon of late. Duke insider Andrew Slater recently put in a prediction for the Ducks. I guess I assumed that Duke would be more competitive with Williams now that Marvin Bagley is Durham for the 2017-18 season. We'll see if Duke gets an official visit and more interest from Williams.
    Could be an important prospect for us as we are projected to be very thin in the front court after this year.