Page 38 of 145 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888138 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    While I'm dreaming - just read about R.J. Barrett. They compare him to Grant Hill and Tracy McGrady. He is a definite future NBA all-star, and the way he shoots free throws, I'm confident he will improve to an outstanding outside shot threat as well. Guys with outstanding mid range games and who excel with and-ones are tough to stop at the college level.

http://www.nbadraftroom.com/2016/02/rj-barrett.html

And Zion Williamson sounds like an awesome fit inside for Duke. To me he sounds like a combination of Justise Winslow, senior Kennedy Meeks, and Lebron with his power-drive-thunderdunks. A guy who swings the game's momentum with crowd-electrifying dunks belongs on Duke playing in Cameron:

http://www.nbadraftroom.com/2016/12/...illiamson.html

Yeah I know where we supposedly stand with Zion.

I guess it's possible Duke gets Garland, Reddish, and Barrett. Duke still leads in 247 CB for Barrett and Reddish. And I'll believe Vanderbilt beating us out for Garland when I see it. But for Duke to get those 3 players, I'd think K would have to talk Barrett or Reddish into playing the stretch 4 spot. Is that realistic with our competition for these players?

Should be fun!
    Or have Garland come off the bench and have Barrett or Reddish play the "2". Understanding K's system I know that is unlikely, but not impossible.

Tre on TV

Just a heads up.

There is some All-Star game on ESPNU (don't know much about it, but it is Team Harp vs Team Glove).

Tre Jones is on one of the teams.

It is half time now, but if you're interested you can still catch the second half.

A few notes from the Nike game. Tre Jones has some of the smoothest on ball defensive feet I have ever seen. They look like they don't even make a sound on the floor. On the offensive side he did about as good as you can do of facilitating and pushing the ball in an all star game setting.

Bonus material: ESPN reporter asked Tre if he was excited to play along side MB3 and the awkwardness ensued.

Other takeaway, Cole Swider would have made a great Blue Devil. Very impressed with his offensive game. Unfortunately, he chose Villanova.

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    Some project him as NBA first round eventually, but this mock draft has him behind Chase Jeter. Garland does not have the athleticism of someone like Frank Jackson, but I think he will be a much better college player.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2019mock_draft
    Projecting Chase to get drafted at all is all you need to know about how wild and unpredictable mock drafts can be at this point. Virtually meaningless 2 years out (aside from crazy stud high schoolers going near the top of the draft).

-Jason "I wish the NBA would hurry up with 2-and-done..." Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Projecting Chase to get drafted at all is all you need to know about how wild and unpredictable mock drafts can be at this point. Virtually meaningless 2 years out (aside from crazy stud high schoolers going near the top of the draft).

-Jason "I wish the NBA would hurry up with 2-and-done..." Evans

2-and-through is much better off the tongue.

How about dos and adios?

2 years and then arrears?

- Chillin

Deux et adieu

Deuce and loose.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Deuce and loose.
    The eight year old in me giggled at that one...
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Is it then:
    Three and wheee?
    Four and door?
    Four and soar?
    Four and floor?
    Three and leave?
    Just speculation.

Whatever catch phrase we come up with, it's somehow needs to incorporate the fact that kids can go directly out of high school, but if they decide to go to college they must stay for two (or maybe three) years.

I have a strong suspicion that is going to be the system that is put in place. The NBA realizes there's no reason to force guys who are truly ready out of high school to play a year of college basketball. But, if you aren't ready to turn pro immediately, they'd like you to stay for a couple years.

Jason "Adam Silver is on this and it is near the top of his to-do list" Evans

Whatever catch phrase we come up with, it's somehow needs to incorporate the fact that kids can go directly out of high school, but if they decide to go to college they must stay for two (or maybe three) years.

I have a strong suspicion that is going to be the system that is put in place. The NBA realizes there's no reason to force guys who are truly ready out of high school to play a year of college basketball. But, if you aren't ready to turn pro immediately, they'd like you to stay for a couple years.

High and Fly or Do the Two
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

I don't like the idea of making a player stay in school for a certain amount of time if he decides to attend college. Athletic scholarships are give on a year to year basis to the athlete, so why should the athlete have to agree to longer terms than the institution?

Why not just let them go when they turn 18 - period. Out of high school, after one year, or as long as it takes them to make it to the league. It should be solely the student athlete and his family's decision.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    I don't like the idea of making a player stay in school for a certain amount of time if he decides to attend college. Athletic scholarships are give on a year to year basis to the athlete, so why should the athlete have to agree to longer terms than the institution?

Why not just let them go when they turn 18 - period. Out of high school, after one year, or as long as it takes them to make it to the league. It should be solely the student athlete and his family's decision.
    Many are advocating for baseball draft eligibility rules: enter the draft at 18, enter the draft after freshman or sophomore year from a junior college, or enter the draft earliest after junior year from a four year college. Eligibility isn't affected until a contract is signed, not based on when one enters the draft.

B1G and PAC-12 athletic scholarships are four year guaranteed now, not year to year anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by FadedTackyShirt View Post
    Many are advocating for baseball draft eligibility rules: enter the draft at 18, enter the draft after freshman or sophomore year from a junior college, or enter the draft earliest after junior year from a four year college. Eligibility isn't affected until a contract is signed, not based on when one enters the draft.

B1G and PAC-12 athletic scholarships are four year guaranteed now, not year to year anymore.
    Interesting info, I did not know about that.

Straight from HS or two years in college. Sounds perfect to me. Would make NBA amd college better. And the kids who don't care about education and just want to get paid, but aren't quite NBA ready, can go to the D-league. So people might actually watch that... A better system for all, including the players.

Quote Originally Posted by FadedTackyShirt View Post

Baseball also has a large minor league system, but 90% of these farm team guys never get close to the majors. Starting minor league salary is $1100/month during the season, or as little as $3000/year. I guess it's great to go for your dream, but most end up with no money from sports and no college education.
    http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...e-wage-income/

Current Sports Illustrated (college football preview issue) has a Zion article. Proclaims he's the most famous hoops recruit of all-time, not because he's better than LeBron, but because of the glut of Zion highlights on the web. YouTube didn't exist when LeBron was in high school.

Didn't delve deeply into Zion's recruitment, but wasn't previously aware that his step father is a former Clemson PG and his AAU coach. Zion's school is so small (~450 students) that they don't field a football team.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    . It should be solely the student athlete and his family's decision.

Sure. What could ever go wrong?? 😇