Page 33 of 145 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383133 ... LastLast
    Could be a perfect storm for K's first grad-student transfer.

Of course, I've been saying that for years. If a roster with one recruited senior and one recruited junior and everyone else either a sophomore or freshmen isn't the recipe for some added experience, then it may never happen with K.

I can see DeLaurier starting for a team with legit national-title aspirations. Down the road.

Vrankovic? He's got to take some giant, giant steps. I've felt stated Matt Christensen was his ceiling and I've seen nothing in two years to change that opinion.

I would love to be proven wrong and see him evolve into 2010 Zoubek or 2016 Marshall Plumlee. But he's got a long way to go.

Will Duke get involved with Moses Brown? They've been eyeing each other from across the room all summer. But neither has thus far asked the other to dance.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    More likely it's because there are only 6 guys in ESPN's top 30 who are 6'10" or taller, and one of them is Marvin Bagley (who probably won't play in college in 2018-19) and one of them (#30) has already committed to Auburn, and the other four just might not be good fits at Duke. With such a small population of big men available, there doesn't really have to be an overarching "reason," does there?
    No, there doesn't. Thanks Kedsy for the insight. I didn't know the Class of 2018 was that devoid of quality big men in the top 30 that could be a good match for Duke and vice-versa. It will be interesting to see how this recruiting class evolves; and what the makeup of this class will be for Duke.

More likely it's because there are only 6 guys in ESPN's top 30 who are 6'10" or taller, and one of them is Marvin Bagley (who probably won't play in college in 2018-19) and one of them (#30) has already committed to Auburn, and the other four just might not be good fits at Duke. With such a small population of big men available, there doesn't really have to be an overarching "reason," does there?
    Could this be the rationale behind the recruiting of Jeter, Vrankovic and DeLaurier?

A West Point grad planning ahead?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Could this be the rationale behind the recruiting of Jeter, Vrankovic and DeLaurier?

A West Point grad planning ahead?
    Well, yeah. A big man rotation of senior Chase, junior Javin, and a highly-ranked freshman swing forward, with senior Antonio as 4th big, would have been pretty strong, teamed with the perimeter guys we've been recruiting for '18-'19.

But sometimes even the best plans don't pan out the way you hoped.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Marshall Plumlee?
    Despite the connection with his brothers, my recollection was that Marshall was long thought to be leaning towards UVA. He changed his mind fairly late in the recruiting process, and some Duke fans were of the opinion that he was only offered a scholarship as a courtesy to the family, since he was not nearly as highly rated as his brothers.

Glad it all worked out though. It'd hard to imagine our 2016 team without him, and even in 2015 he was there pushing Okafor in practice every day.

To be fair, that does come out to 20%, which is representative of the position.

But, the point is taken. This is the challenge with relying on top 30 bigs every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    This is absolutely the reason -- the Class of 2018 is short of top-flight big man and the few that are there are just not a good fit for Duke.

Bagley is the exception -- if he comes a year early, it does enhance Duke's chances of winning the 2018 title ... but it would be better for the continuity of the program if he'd wait and come with Jones, Garland, Reddish ...

Oh well, it doesn't matter -- he's almost certainly coming out now, so no need to waste time wondering about it.

Agree it's not an elite class of bigs, and the challenge is that Duke could really use a one and done, AND a multi-year big from this class.

Pardon me for not knowing, but is there a time for Tre's announcement? Will it just be on Twitter or is he doing something more elaborate?
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Pardon me for not knowing, but is there a time for Tre's announcement? Will it just be on Twitter or is he doing something more elaborate?
    I can't find a scheduled time anywhere -- not in the Minneapolis paper or on any of the recruiting sites.

While looking, I did come across a recent interview with 247 where he was asked about playing with Darius Garland:
    [I]
    With them and UCLA, there’s been a lot of talk about you and Darius Garland…When I spoke with Darius, he didn’t want to bring up any “package deal.” What’s your relationship like with Darius and could it work theoretically?

"Me and Darius are really good friends. We met at USA a couple of years ago and we’ve gotten closer as friends over the couple years and I love his game a whole lot. He’s a sharp-shooter. He doesn’t miss much. He’s a great play-maker. He’s real unselfish as a teammate. So, he knows the game a lot. We could for sure play together."

Do you think he’s really a point guard or do you think he’s a combo? What does he bring to the table offensively?

"I think he’s a point guard for sure. He can do both spots, but I feel like we could feed off each other. He doesn’t miss. If you get him open, he’s going to knock it down. He knows how to find the open guys. He’s a phenomenal passer. He has a tight handle. He’s just a really good player. Off the court, he’s a super chill dude. He’s really nice. He’s a really good friend."

Tre Jones announcing at 5:15, per Adam Rowe.

Quote Originally Posted by jcannon View Post
    Tre Jones announcing at 5:15, per Adam Rowe.
    EDT, I suppose, although Minnesota is CDT.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    EDT, I suppose, although Minnesota is CDT.
    No. 5:15 CDT.

It's quiet around here. Is someone watching who will post immediately on the announcement?

Here's a live stream of Tre's announcement.

Can't watch because I'm in the car. So depressing. Keep me updated please.

Welcome to Duke, Tre ...

It's Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Welcome to Duke, Tre ...
    Really? Whew. Yay!

Great news! Tre Jones to Duke. We have our point guard.
    Bob Green

Duke!

YES!!!