Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Open basketball practice

Duke just announced that the first official basketball practice will be open to the public:

DURHAM, N.C. – Duke men’s basketball fans can get their first look at the 2015-16 team on Friday, Oct. 2, when the Blue Devils hold an open practice at Cameron Indoor Stadium. The practice will begin at 1:45 p.m. ET and admission will be free.

Doors to Cameron Indoor Stadium will open at 12:30 p.m. ET. Spectators may enter from the north and south lobby areas, as well as the south Hall of Honor entrance. All seating for the open practice will be in the upper bowl of Cameron Indoor Stadium.

General public parking for the open practice will be available in the Blue Zone, located off of Duke University Road. The lot will open at noon ET and close at 4:30 p.m. ET. Overflow parking will be available in the Chemistry Lot, located near the intersection of Circuit Drive and Towerview Drive.

Last edited by Bob Green; 09-24-2015 at 04:07 PM.

note for your boss from the blue devil. ;-)

https://twitter.com/The1BlueDevil/st...85975445737472

Weather? Change?

[QUOTE=Olympic Fan;828027]Duke just announced that the first official basketball practice will be open to the public:

[I]DURHAM, N.C. – Duke men’s basketball fans can get their first look at the 2015-16 team on Friday, Oct. 2, when the Blue Devils hold an open practice at Cameron Indoor Stadium. The practice will begin at 1:45 p.m. ET and admission will be free.

Planning on driving down from Virginia if the weather isn't too bad - nothing has changed with the pending storm has it? Thanks...

Tomorrow. Tomorrow. I love you, tomorrow. You're only a day away.

Hope someone can provide some good analysis later this afternoon! Try and stay dry up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichabod Drain View Post
    Hope someone can provide some good analysis later this afternoon! Try and stay dry up there.
    It will be interesting to read what people think about Obi since we heard so little last year.

Since I can't be at the open practice, I'm really looking forward to reading this thread later tonight and tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    It will be interesting to read what people think about Obi since we heard so little last year.
    I am watching the practice now on BDN and my overall impression on Sean Obi is, unfortunately, that he is lazy (in this practice, at least). I know that I may get flamed for this, but that is what I am seeing at this point. He has been "cheating" on the exercises and did not finish on the sprints up and down the court, etc. Not good signs to me. that's it.

ricks

And

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    And interesting to read whether our freshman point guard is to leading a top five team, whether Ingram is really that good, whether Kennard is really an under the radar top ten freshman, whether Jeter is strong enough to bang down low, whether Amile has developed a jump shot, and who will be the backup point guard. This is what happens when you lose half your roster to the NBA.

Get your requests in now!

Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    I am watching the practice now on BDN and my overall impression on Sean Obi is, unfortunately, that he is lazy (in this practice, at least). I know that I may get flamed for this, but that is what I am seeing at this point. He has been "cheating" on the exercises and did not finish on the sprints up and down the court, etc. Not good signs to me. that's it.

ricks
    Thanks for your view.

ricks
    Picked last for the scrimmage and did not get in. Either hurt or paying the price for dogging it

ricks
    Watched on BDN and was very interested that at the end of the practice the captains picked teams for 5 x 5. Sean was not picked. That is quite the message from the captains NOT the coaches. Great commentary from Nolan Smith about this as well. He also was picked last for a scrimmage his freshman year and Coach Dawkins reminded him of that and gave him a hard time.

But this is one practice and Sean will learn...

What was good to see is the inside look that Coach is not only teaching Xs and Os but also communication, talking when tired and playing together. I really liked the drill where they were playing 5x5 half court and the coaches said to switch and the offense had to put the ball down and move to defense. However, you could not cover the guy who was just covering you. That meant there was a lot of talking and communicating or your team got burned by an open 3 or a drive to the basket.

For the end-of-practice scrimmage, Amile and Marshall got to pick their teams, playground style.

Here was how the draft went. Amile got first pick.

Team Amile Team Marshall
    1. Matt 2. Grayson
    3. Brandon 4. Derryck
    5. Luke 6. Chase
    7. Justin Robinson 8. Nick Pagliuca

Sean Obi and Brennan Besser weren't picked and sat.

I think Antonio Vrankovic was out for this practice? Didn't see him play today.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    For the end-of-practice scrimmage, Amile and Marshall got to pick their teams, playground style.

Team Amile Team Marshall
    1. Matt 2. Grayson
    3. Brandon 4. Derryck
    5. Luke 6. Chase

Antonio had a boot on his right foot.

Team Amile Team Marshall
    1. Matt 2. Grayson
    3. Brandon 4. Derryck
    5. Luke 6. Chase

What happened in the scrimmage? Who won?

Some Keeley Twitter feedback on practice

Comments relevant to the potential interior rotation:
    Laura Keeley ‏@laurakeeley
    With Brandon Ingram playing on the perimeter, expect to see a lot of Marshall and Amile on the 4-5 interior
    This should come as a surprise to no one, but Chase Jeter isn't nearly as strong as Amile and Marshall.

Big picture
    K also said they're putting in a new offensive and defensive system to fit this team's strengths. And no, he didn't go into specifics

I think both Jeter and Robinson will get time as they develop. I was surprised with Robinson as I watched during the drills.

ricks

I am really interested in an insider read on Obi. Barring an injury or extenuating circumstances, not getting picked over Robinson and Pagliuca, on the first day of practice, coming off a transfer sit-out year, is a serious red flag.

I think both Jeter and Robinson will get time as they develop. I was surprised with Robinson as I watched during the drills.

ricks
    Pleasantly surprised I assume. What did you like about him?

Team Amile Team Marshall
    1. Matt 2. Grayson
    3. Brandon 4. Derryck
    5. Luke 6. Chase

OK, but that's just weird. Justin and Nick picked before Sean? Whoa. Maybe he wasn't feeling well, or something.

Also a little weird that Brandon and Derryck were the 3rd and 4th picks, but maybe the captains agreed on the down low to pick the veterans ahead of the rookies?

Finally, who guarded whom in the scrimmage?

ricks
    I thought the plan was for Robinson to redshirt this season. Has that changed?