Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13...ter-sasha-kaun

This probably eats up the last of the Cavs cap space. What is perhaps more interesting is that Cleveland is going big with this last roster spot. Kaun probably wont play a whole lot.

Also, it looks like Tristan Thompson turned down a 5 year deal for $80 million and is looking for $90 million total.

I have not see anything on where Quinn will be this fall during training camp.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13...ter-sasha-kaun

This probably eats up the last of the Cavs cap space. What is perhaps more interesting is that Cleveland is going big with this last roster spot. Kaun probably wont play a whole lot.

Also, it looks like Tristan Thompson turned down a 5 year deal for $80 million and is looking for $90 million total.

I have not see anything on where Quinn will be this fall during training camp.
    The mechanics for these training camp deals can be complicated, especially if the player has multiple options. There really are not that many final roster spots remaining so a training camp fight for players that start in roster spots 16-20 is always intense. If you know that making a team is a longshot, it can be smart to pick an organization based on their reputation and the possible D League situation.

Irving/Williams/Dellavedova
    Shumpert/Smith/Harris
    James/Jones/Jefferson
    Love/Thompson
    Mozgov/Varejao/Kaun

That's a pretty crowded roster with Pointer possibly being signed as well. It would not be out of the question to stash Pointer somewhere for a year to hope that he develops more and to leave open a roster spot for flexibility.

They are just winging it because they already have the Big 3 locked up for atleast another year. They are just waiting on the next cap increase that is bound to happen.

Cavs might actually win it all next year if Love and Irving stay relatively healthy. Although I'm starting to see a bit of a slow down on Lebron's body.

Good news for Quinn if he joins the Cavaliers training camp. The latest rumors have them stashing second round pick Sir'Dominic Pointer in the D League with the Canton Charge. While they could sign him later, it means that they intend to a roster spot open in training camp. While they may want to leave it open for flexibility, it does seem to open the door for a player coming in on an unguaranteed deal lasting through the start of the season. As Andre Dawkins can attest, the NBA minimum from opening day to getting cut at the guarantee deadline still pays you a decent amount of money.

Laura Keeley reports that Quinn told her that he is off to Cleveland tomorrow.

http://fansided.com/2015/09/08/duke-...training-camp/

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    Good news for Quinn if he joins the Cavaliers training camp. The latest rumors have them stashing second round pick Sir'Dominic Pointer in the D League with the Canton Charge. While they could sign him later, it means that they intend to a roster spot open in training camp. While they may want to leave it open for flexibility, it does seem to open the door for a player coming in on an unguaranteed deal lasting through the start of the season. As Andre Dawkins can attest, the NBA minimum from opening day to getting cut at the guarantee deadline still pays you a decent amount of money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    Laura Keeley reports that Quinn told her that he is off to Cleveland tomorrow.

http://fansided.com/2015/09/08/duke-...training-camp/
    Great read on Seth Curry on the Front Page today, and I could see a similar path upcoming for Quinn, including a similar timeline. (minus of course the shadow of a NBA MVP brother). I think Quinn has NBA talent and can stick at some point. Just might not be this season or next. I think he has shown us he is more than willing to put in the work to make it happen though.

Pulling hard for him!

Good looking pic!

Yes it is! Good luck to Quinn and get healthy soon Kyrie.

Irving is one class ahead of Cook yet Irving seems like an NBA vet, Cook a callow youngster.

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleDevil View Post
    Yes it is! Good luck to Quinn and get healthy soon Kyrie.
    This makes me happy. Go Quinn!

Also, Quinn is a pretty short dude. He's a legitimate 2 inches shorter than Kyrie, who is a legit 6'3". Pretty awesome to win a natty with a tiny backcourt.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Does Shumpert's injury help Cook?

Shumpert is out at least 3 months after suffering a wrist injury and undergoing surgery.

I'm not a big NBA follower, and definitely not during the offseason, so I figured I'd ask some of the more knowledgeable NBA fans on here: Does this injury impact the roster space and help Cook's chances at making the team?

I'm pretty sure Cook is too small to be a viable NBA SG (see the pick with Kyrie above), but right now it looks like the only backcourt players that will definitely be available on opening night are: PG - Mo Williams and Delly; SG - JR Smith and Joe Thomas. I would think the Cavs would want to begin the year with a few more bodies than that. Obviously this scenario changes if Kyrie is able to go to start the season (hopefully he is).

Are the Cavs happy with Joe Thomas, who seems to be the #2 SG on their depth chart with this injury? Or will the Cavs look elsewhere on the roster for a backup to JR Smith? Maybe Delly moves over to the SG rotation and Cook can fill in as the PG behind Mo Williams? Do the Cavs play Jefferson at the SG spot and keep their PG rotation as is?

For the sake of this question, I'm assuming Cook performs well enough to earn a roster spot, but space limitations would otherwise precluded his making the team.

Quote Originally Posted by JetpackJesus View Post
    Shumpert is out at least 3 months after suffering a wrist injury and undergoing surgery.

I'm not a big NBA follower, and definitely not during the offseason, so I figured I'd ask some of the more knowledgeable NBA fans on here: Does this injury impact the roster space and help Cook's chances at making the team?

I'm pretty sure Cook is too small to be a viable NBA SG (see the pick with Kyrie above), but right now it looks like the only backcourt players that will definitely be available on opening night are: PG - Mo Williams and Delly; SG - JR Smith and Joe Thomas. I would think the Cavs would want to begin the year with a few more bodies than that. Obviously this scenario changes if Kyrie is able to go to start the season (hopefully he is).

Are the Cavs happy with Joe Thomas, who seems to be the #2 SG on their depth chart with this injury? Or will the Cavs look elsewhere on the roster for a backup to JR Smith? Maybe Delly moves over to the SG rotation and Cook can fill in as the PG behind Mo Williams? Do the Cavs play Jefferson at the SG spot and keep their PG rotation as is?

For the sake of this question, I'm assuming Cook performs well enough to earn a roster spot, but space limitations would otherwise precluded his making the team.
    Cook has signed a contract. He's on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    Cook has signed a contract. He's on the team.
    Pretty sure he signed a non-guaranteed training camp contract. That is not the same thing as a regular contract. The Cavs are under no obligation to keep him around for all or any of the season. So the question seems legitimate. Could the injury push the Cavs to sign Cook to their 15-man roster? And do they even have a spot open on the 15-man roster?

Per the Cavs' website, they have 15 names on their roster currently, none naned Cook. One of those is SG Pointer, who they may be stashing overseas. So there might be a spot available on the 15-man roster. But my suspicion is that Cook is just a training camp body. Teams regularly bring in extra players to camp on non-guaranteed deals.
    Last edited by CDu; 09-29-2015 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Pretty sure he signed a non-guaranteed training camp contract. That is not the same thing as a regular contract. The Cavs are under no obligation to keep him around for all or any of the season. So the question seems legitimate. Could the injury push the Cavs to sign Cook to their 15-man roster? And do they even have a spot open on the 15-man roster?

Per the Cavs' website, they have 15 names on their roster currently, none naned Cook. One of those is SG Pointer, who they may be stashing overseas. So there might be a spot available on the 15-man roster. But my suspicion is that Cook is just a training camp body. Teams regularly bring in extra players to camp on non-guaranteed deals.
    Yes. This has been my understanding all along thanks, in large part, to this very thread.

Agreed on the non-guaranteed contract for Quinn. Here is the training camp roster for the Cavs. Not sure of the contract status of all the players on it but agree that Quinn has a difficult road to make the team. However, I'm pretty sure that Pointer is not at camp and is going direct to the D-League. He won't be on the Cavs roster at the start of the season.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    Agreed on the non-guaranteed contract for Quinn. Here is the training camp roster for the Cavs. Not sure of the contract status of all the players on it but agree that Quinn has a difficult road to make the team. However, I'm pretty sure that Pointer is not at camp and is going direct to the D-League. He won't be on the Cavs roster at the start of the season.
    Yeah, I remember reading somewhere (probably this thread) that Pointer wasn't going to sign with the Cavs this year. If so, that would leave 1 roster spot (the other 14 are filled currently with guaranteed contracts): Irving, Williams, Dellavedova, Shumpert, Smith, Harris, Jones, Jefferson, James, Thompson, Kaun, Varejao, Love, and Mozgov.

So it's possible that they add another PG until Irving is back. It's possible that it will be Smith. But given James' skill set and the availability of Williams and Dellavedova, they may decide to bring in a SG to fill the gap. Or they may decide that Smith and Harris and Jones and Jefferson can fill that void, and save the money.

Yeah, I remember reading somewhere (probably this thread) that Pointer wasn't going to sign with the Cavs this year. If so, that would leave 1 roster spot (the other 14 are filled currently with guaranteed contracts): Irving, Williams, Dellavedova, Shumpert, Smith, Harris, Jones, Jefferson, James, Thompson, Kaun, Varejao, Love, and Mozgov.

So it's possible that they add another PG until Irving is back. It's possible that it will be Smith. But given James' skill set and the availability of Williams and Dellavedova, they may decide to bring in a SG to fill the gap. Or they may decide that Smith and Harris and Jones and Jefferson can fill that void, and save the money.
    I think I mentioned the Pointer thing somewhere upthread. He is one of several second round picks who seem set to be domestic draft and stashed in the D League (including two Kentucky guys, which kind of lessens the greatest of them leaving early to get drafted).

The salary info sources that I trust (Sham Sports) are no longer in the game, but Basketball Insiders has all 7 of their training camp invites as fully unguaranteed. I would have hoped that Quinn could have secured at least a small partial guarantee to offset a possible D League salary.

Presumably once Thompson shows up, one of their frontcourt guys will be let go (you can have 20 players signed at this time and the Cavaliers have 20 not including Thompson since he is not officially signed yet).

The other guard that they have invited is Jared Cunningham. He may have the advantage of experience, but has not really done anything in his time in the NBA. He is bigger than Quinn and can play at shooting guard in the NBA although his ability at the point guard is still a work in progress.

any new word on Quinn?
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Just my word.
    I have been watching the Cavs pre season games and he has been getting fewer and fewer mins. Last night he had zero minutes.

Just my word.
    I have been watching the Cavs pre season games and he has been getting fewer and fewer mins. Last night he had zero minutes.
    Good news then! That trend is over!