Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    According to the dailytarheel article on this, Bubba covered this in his presser:

The University reported this new information to the NCAA on Aug. 10, Bubba Cunningham said on a conference call Friday, and the University learned on Friday that the NCAA would extend the response deadline for the investigation of these issues. The deadline for the University to respond to the notice would have been Tuesday, 90 days after they received the notice in May. Cunningham said he didn't think the University would need more than 60 more days to deal with the new information.

So they reported the new stuff to the NCAA on Monday and kept tight lipped about it until today when they found out they would get more time. Unclear how much more time they got, but it must be at least 60 days more.
    Thanks for the update. I did not realize the NCAA had approved the extension.

It would have been interesting to be a fly on the wall to hear the conversation.

So are the new allegations proof that the reforms are not working which is bad news in trying to prove to SACS that the reforms are working?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    Thanks for the update. I did not realize the NCAA had approved the extension.

It would have been interesting to be a fly on the wall to hear the conversation.

So are the new allegations proof that the reforms are not working which is bad news in trying to prove to SACS that the reforms are working?
    "Sixty days" is Bubba Cunningham's number. The NCAA needs to evaluate the self-reported infractions and then indicate what UNC should do. If I read it correctly, the soccer violation is the failure of an assistant coach to answer a question correctly on the test of NCAA rules, and the women's basketball violation is ostensibly more serious, but "more of the same" in terms of impermissible academic assistance to a player.

I suppose the NCAA could say, "Just send in your NOA response -- these other items are unlikely to change the penalties." But I expect that UNC will be given additional time.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

In regards to the overall timing...this gives UNC 60 more days until they report back. I believe the NCAA then has a time frame to respond to what UNC has said and then there is a hearing date that is set. The NCAA could come back and say we don't need all of our time to respond to UNC's response so let's still set a COI data in November with penalties announced in February.

This is risky stuff to try to delay things given that the other party has control of the time frame. Of course, the timing of all of this could be part of what is being negotiated between the NCAA and UNC. That is, let UNC have the 2016 basketball season and then hammer them.

Bubba

"But I'm proud people are going to own the mistakes when they happen."

Yes, Bubba..You have so very much to be proud of for the way you have dealt with this entire scandal.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    "Sixty days" is Bubba Cunningham's number. The NCAA needs to evaluate the self-reported infractions and then indicate what UNC should do. If I read it correctly, the soccer violation is the failure of an assistant coach to answer a question correctly on the test of NCAA rules, and the women's basketball violation is ostensibly more serious, but "more of the same" in terms of impermissible academic assistance to a player.

I suppose the NCAA could say, "Just send in your NOA response -- these other items are unlikely to change the penalties." But I expect that UNC will be given additional time.
    If one is academic, don't they also need to notify SACS?

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    If I read it correctly, the soccer violation is the failure of an assistant coach to answer a question correctly on the test of NCAA rules...
    As I understand it, the coach's incorrect answer on the test led to the discovery of the actual recruiting violation(s). The incorrect answer is not, itself, a violation of NCAA rules; putting the incorrect answer into practice is.
    Last edited by dpslaw; 08-15-2015 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dpslaw View Post
    As I understand it, the coach's incorrect answer on the test led to the discovery of the actual recruiting violation(s).
    Hopefully he got the answer correct on the Jim Harrick question that asked how many points a soccer goal was worth?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Hopefully he got the answer correct on the Jim Harrick question that asked how many points a soccer goal was worth?
    Didn't the Harrick test also ask how many points a three point goal was worth?

Quote Originally Posted by dpslaw View Post
    Didn't the Harrick test also ask how many points a three point goal was worth?
    Yes, indeed it did, and that was my point (or three of them anyway).

Here's the (w)hole exam. Or maybe I should've posted two halves (or should that be four quarters):

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...xam_x.htm#exam

(At least they didn't have to take it in Swahili...)

Here's the (w)hole exam. Or maybe I should've posted two halves (or should that be four quarters):

Question #7 is vague - could be "b" or "c."

the obvious

so ...

what are the odds UNC will uncover and disclose more violations in, oh, I don't know, maybe about 53 days?

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    so ...

what are the odds UNC will uncover and disclose more violations in, oh, I don't know, maybe about 53 days?
    The odds are very good. We'll probably hear tales of the field hockey team as well as the swim team. They are out of control and must be punished

If I can steal from PackPride (still the go-to source for info on the scandal), one poster noted this fact from an N&O article:

Something that jumped out at me today from the N&O article (15AUG2015, Kane & Carter)...was the "Roll Call" graphic on Page 12A which had the following information:

1993-2011 Enrollments - Suspect Independent Studies Course
    Football = 360
    Men's Basketball = 110
    Women's Basketball = 34

1999-2011 Enrollments - Suspect Lecture Classes that Did Not Meet
    Football = 963
    Men's Basketball = 226
    Women's Basketball = 114

So, if we compare MBB and WBB these teams have roughly the same number of players and over the same period should have cheated at about the same rate... but what do we see from this data? We see that for independent studies classes that MBB were enrolling in suspect independent studies classes at 3.2 times the rate of WBB players and for lecture classes that didn't meet at almost 2.0 times the rate of WBB classes. Now how you can take an approach to hang WBB out to dry and let MBB skate is just amazing.

I think that's a pretty good accompaniment to the N&O story linked on the front page of DBR today, pointing out how UNC is trying to scapegoat women's basketball to protect the men's bball program.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain_Devil_91_92_01_10_15 View Post
    Question #7 is vague - could be "b" or "c."
    Considering the source, credit was probably given for either answer, and extra credit, perhaps with an advanced degree, for choosing both.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    If I can steal from PackPride (still the go-to source for info on the scandal), one poster noted this fact from an N&O article:

Something that jumped out at me today from the N&O article (15AUG2015, Kane & Carter)...was the "Roll Call" graphic on Page 12A which had the following information:

1993-2011 Enrollments - Suspect Independent Studies Course
    Football = 360
    Men's Basketball = 110
    Women's Basketball = 34

1999-2011 Enrollments - Suspect Lecture Classes that Did Not Meet
    Football = 963
    Men's Basketball = 226
    Women's Basketball = 114

So, if we compare MBB and WBB these teams have roughly the same number of players and over the same period should have cheated at about the same rate... but what do we see from this data? We see that for independent studies classes that MBB were enrolling in suspect independent studies classes at 3.2 times the rate of WBB players and for lecture classes that didn't meet at almost 2.0 times the rate of WBB classes. Now how you can take an approach to hang WBB out to dry and let MBB skate is just amazing.

I think that's a pretty good accompaniment to the N&O story linked on the front page of DBR today, pointing out how UNC is trying to scapegoat women's basketball to protect the men's bball program.
    We can only hope and pray that the NCAA/COI is able to see through the same charade/farce/lie/deception/dishonesty that DBR and PackPride are realizing/discovering about the cheaters.

Walker Doak at WKRB is reporting that Roy Williams took that test and got 12 out of 20, then reported a 72% score to SACS. Supposedly the SACS rep said he'd accept the score but didn't want to play golf with Roy for money anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    Walker Doak at WKRB is reporting that Roy Williams took that test and got 12 out of 20, then reported a 72% score to SACS. Supposedly the SACS rep said he'd accept the score but didn't want to play golf with Roy for money anymore.
    Debbie Crowder must have graded it...

they may be cracking....a unc friend of mine was bemoaning the new violations and i asked him (jokingly) if he was ready to trade 93, 05 and 09 for it to stop...he thought about it for a sec, and said, disgustedly, "05 and 09"...dean didn't do anything wrong...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    they may be cracking....a unc friend of mine was bemoaning the new violations and i asked him (jokingly) if he was ready to trade 93, 05 and 09 for it to stop...he thought about it for a sec, and said, disgustedly, "05 and 09"...dean didn't do anything wrong...
    No, other than starting the scam....