Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by swood1000 View Post
    If they promptly notified the NCAA then it is interesting that this new information was discovered only at the very end of the 90 days they had to respond to the NOA.
    That is awfully convenient. I also don't understand this:

First, while preparing for public release of a series of emails from the independent investigation conducted by Cadwalader, Wickersham and Taft, the University found additional examples of possible instances of improper academic assistance provided to a few former women’s basketball players, directly related to allegation number two in the May 20, 2015, notice of allegations.

“We identified this new information as part of our due diligence in preparing our response to the notice of allegations and materials for public release,” said Director of Athletics Lawrence R. (Bubba) Cunningham.
    The supporting documents from the Cadwalader review were released in October 2014. When were these additional examples indentified, exactly, and why were they not provided to the NCAA in time for the initial Notice of Allegations?

Saw this over on IC:

"So we report these findings to the NCAA on August 10th. Then we announce on August 13th that we are sending our response to the NOA and will have it up on the UNC web site early next week. Then today we announce that we are delaying our response because of the info we gave the NCAA prior to announcing that we were submitting our response early next week.

"Have I got that right?"

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Unlike some of you, I LOVE UNC's delay strategy.

I've said before, earlier in this thread, that they were going to delay the penalty phase of the process until after this basketball season plays out. They really believe this team can win the national championship.

But that's okay. In the first place, their team isn't that good. In the second place, the longer this plays out, the longer UNC suffers. Only when the penalties come down and UNC takes its medicine can UNC do what it professes to want to do -- move on.

A blueblood like UNC (or Kentucky or UCLA or Duke) can bounce back from disaster surprisingly quickly ... once it is over. Delaying the end of the scandal merely delays the point where UNC can begin its recovery. Look at any major NCAA scandal -- the leadup to the penalty phase is the worst time for the school. As long as UNC delays, we keep getting things like the CNN article talking about "the worst academic scandal in NCAA history." We keep getting prospects like Brandon Ingram, Harry Giles and Dennis Smith running from Chapel Hill as fast as they can go.

So relax ... pop some popcorn and enjoy our neighbors problems. Let then run the Four Corners ... it's going to work as well as it did in the 1977 national title game.
    I agree with OF here, this is the best possible outcome for folks that want the heels to suffer.

First of all, it's a transparent and cynical ploy to buy time. It's just ridiculous that they "found" these accusations minutes before the NOA response is due. UNC is announcing to everyone with eyes to see and ears to hear exactly what they are-- and it isn't pretty.

Secondly, this pushes the window of their suffering back.

It's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by swood1000 View Post
    Saw this over on IC:
    More gold from IC:

So the NCAA doesn't find something but UNC does, in replying to what the NCAA did find, and UNC tells the NCAA what they overlooked...

This isn't golf, where you have to call penalties on yourself.

cheaters keep on cheating.... you do what you do best

where was all this new found "honesty" the past 18 plus years??

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke95 View Post
    LOL. The new violations are WBB and men's soccer related. But it pushes the schedule back.

http://carolinacommitment.unc.edu/up...ation-to-ncaa/
    I almost spit my gatorade on my screen when I saw that banner.
    ...slooowwwwwwlllllllly.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Like others, I agree.

Not only does it prolong the agony and potentially push out the end-of-punishment date, but it further messes with Roy's recruiting. Their are two windows in the upcoming year during which CBB recruits can sign letters of intent: The early period from 11/11 to 11/18 and the regular period from 4/13 to 5/18. Until today's announcement there was some chance that UNC's situation would be clarified before the November signing period. Now it looks like that's unlikely. There could be resolution before the spring signing period, but it's not certain. 2016 looks to be another wilderness year for UNC-CH basketball recruiting.

Interesting that these new violations appear to have occurred in the past two years. That means they were on Bubba's watch, and these proclamations of "Mission Accomplished" we've been hearing regarding resolving these problems appear to have been premature.

Given the new discoveries in WBB and the Boxill connection, I wonder where Sylvia comes out it all this. Does her health history make her untouchable? Boxill was a close pal and the WBB announcer, whom Hatchell called, "the most ethical person I know." And it is, after all, Sylvia's program.

Those buffoons have become so audacious that laughter is required. They have 90 days to respond, with five days to go they say they'll be responding early
    next week (right at the 90 day limit) and THEN on day 86 they suddenly find a couple of new infractions? (Of course they have a huge stockpile of them).

I just can't see how the NCAA will view this as anything but shameless gamesmanship.

That link on Jay and Mary's site

http://paperclassinc.com/ghost-writer-of-unc-past/

Sagegrouse says he went to this site and didn't see the amusing summary of how things stand at UNC. You have to click on the link labeled "Moving UNC Forward" and download a pdf. Trust me: It's worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by porcophile View Post

Sagegrouse says he went to this site and didn't see the amusing summary of how things stand at UNC. You have to click on the link labeled "Moving UNC Forward" and download a pdf. Trust me: It's worth it.
    This is the corrected version of that memo, shortened for UNC-CH reading levels. The original title was: "Moving Great UNC Leader Sun Forward to Defeat Imperialist Dying Dogs." And they took out the bit about going to "UNC Standard Time" which is always a half hour later than everyone else.

When you start outsourcing your memo-writing to North Korea, you get funny memos. But then again, when your entire PR campaign sounds like a Pyongyang production, it's a logical next-step. I'll bet you can hire North Koreans to do PR cheaper than you can hire an American firm. All you North Carolina taxpayers should say a word of thanks.

"...has to do with an Olympic sport."

Oh no! holes rhythmic dance team taking the hit?!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by porcophile View Post

Not spew coffee on your monitor screen type funny but quite amusing, nonetheless. Indeed worth a couple clicks and 2-3 minutes to read.

Nice find.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post

Beat me to it, weezie. My speculation was going to be the fencing and/or swimming and diving teams would have tire tracks on them soon.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

can't spork you, but I was thinking of synchronized swimming.

or maybe there's a new biathlon that involves firearms, except instead of skiing, you drive an SUV around.

Word is the NCAA is going to drop a new NOA and cite them for LOMC.

(Lack of Motor Control)

I think I recall reading about a nasty incident that took place in the 1904 Olympics involving The UNC Men's Club Swinging Team that took place in the shower room.

Maybe they've been saving that...

I've said before, earlier in this thread, that they were going to delay the penalty phase of the process until after this basketball season plays out. They really believe this team can win the national championship.

But that's okay. In the first place, their team isn't that good. In the second place, the longer this plays out, the longer UNC suffers. Only when the penalties come down and UNC takes its medicine can UNC do what it professes to want to do -- move on.

A blueblood like UNC (or Kentucky or UCLA or Duke) can bounce back from disaster surprisingly quickly ... once it is over. Delaying the end of the scandal merely delays the point where UNC can begin its recovery. Look at any major NCAA scandal -- the leadup to the penalty phase is the worst time for the school. As long as UNC delays, we keep getting things like the CNN article talking about "the worst academic scandal in NCAA history." We keep getting prospects like Brandon Ingram, Harry Giles and Dennis Smith running from Chapel Hill as fast as they can go.

So relax ... pop some popcorn and enjoy our neighbors problems. Let then run the Four Corners ... it's going to work as well as it did in the 1977 national title game.
    I whole-heartedly agree with this statement. First, other teams are getting better by having new talent coming in while UNC is not getting new talent. By delaying UNC is at risk of getting low ranked recruiting classes just like this year. (Imagine if Jalek Felton backs out of his 2017 commitment. As an aside I would love for Calipari to start recruiting Felton. Talk about wonderful fireworks to watch.)

So back to the argument...the delaying of penalties means that UNC might not have any good classes in 2016, 2017 and possibly 2018. The NCAA won't have to hand down penalties for post season bans because they won't be good enough to play in the post season.

Nice N&O article zoning in on how old Roy and Sylvia Hatchell are being treated differently during UNC-CHeat investigation:

http://bit.ly/1HMk8Yq

Here is how this blows up in UNC's face.

I believe if a university does not respond to allegations they are deemed to have admitted guilt regarding said allegations.
    UNC realizes they have very little they can say to the NCAA so they admit some additional infractions and assume that the NCAA will add this to the current NOA thus delaying any action.
    However, the NCAA has not said anything about this delaying the need for a response. The NCAA gets no response from UNC and declares that they have admitted guilt.
    The NCAA then notes that these new allegations have occurred after the NCAA had finished their first investigation and this allows/forces the NCAA to visit again and reinvestigate.

The UNC administration has made every possible mis-step that they could have made during this mess, so it would not surprise me if this happens.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    Here is how this blows up in UNC's face.

I believe if a university does not respond to allegations they are deemed to have admitted guilt regarding said allegations.
    UNC realizes they have very little they can say to the NCAA so they admit some additional infractions and assume that the NCAA will add this to the current NOA thus delaying any action.
    However, the NCAA has not said anything about this delaying the need for a response. The NCAA gets no response from UNC and declares that they have admitted guilt.
    The NCAA then notes that these new allegations have occurred after the NCAA had finished their first investigation and this allows/forces the NCAA to visit again and reinvestigate.

The UNC administration has made every possible mis-step that they could have made during this mess, so it would not surprise me if this happens.

According to the dailytarheel article on this, Bubba covered this in his presser:

The University reported this new information to the NCAA on Aug. 10, Bubba Cunningham said on a conference call Friday, and the University learned on Friday that the NCAA would extend the response deadline for the investigation of these issues. The deadline for the University to respond to the notice would have been Tuesday, 90 days after they received the notice in May. Cunningham said he didn't think the University would need more than 60 more days to deal with the new information.

So they reported the new stuff to the NCAA on Monday and kept tight lipped about it until today when they found out they would get more time. Unclear how much more time they got, but it must be at least 60 days more.