Page 1 of 40 12311 ... LastLast

UNC Athletics Scandal: New Violations Delay NOA Response

They are self-reporting 2 new violations, neither of which implicate basketball or football. Pulease. This is a transparent ploy to push the process back past the end of the basketball season.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Does that make it NONA or NNOA (notice of new allegations or new notice of allegations)?

Or is this just SOS or SSDD?

Might have to visit PackPride later today...
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I find it shocking--SHOCKING--that the timing of this announcement means that delaying the NCAA process could push the penalties past March 2016.

It's the Four Corners strategy again. Or, it's like pulling the fire alarm just before your exam.

NCAA needs to find their backbone and say enough already ... you still need to respond on time.

I long ago decided they're no longer a rival in my mind, and this just reinforces my feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    Bubba makes a presentation to the UNC Faculty Athletics Committee on the status of the NOA response.

He is apparently planning to go down with the ship:

"There are zero allegations of academic fraud (from the NCAA)," he said.

The notice, he said, mentions "improper benefits" given to student-athletes, but never categorizes it as academic fraud.
    It is a classic example of misdirection. They weren't charged with academic fraud but with improper benefits. The latter is just as great a violation as the former (to the NCAA but not to SACS), but easier to prove. It's like somebody being charged with burglary trying to minimize it by saying that he was not charged with assault and battery.

Here's a little bit more on the new development: http://www.scout.com/college/north-c...y-ncaa-process

One of the items is connected with Wainstein Report discoveries, according to sources, while the other is unrelated to the current NCAA investigation and has to do with an Olympic sport.
    I predict that delays such as this one will cause the process to be delayed until just after March Madness 2016.

Edit: maybe the NCAA will tell them to go ahead and submit their response to the original allegations and then they'll look at these new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    I find it shocking--SHOCKING--that the timing of this announcement means that delaying the NCAA process could push the penalties past March 2016.
    If so, that's an incredibly risky step to take to protect the postseason prospects of a team that probably won't make it past the second weekend, especially if the speculation is correct that the new violations include academic issues with classes outside of AAS.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    It's the Four Corners strategy again. Or, it's like pulling the fire alarm just before your exam.

NCAA needs to find their backbone and say enough already ... you still need to respond on time.

I long ago decided they're no longer a rival in my mind, and this just reinforces my feeling.
    If this strategy/plan/report is indeed true, these lying, cheating bastards have moved far, far beyond shameless.

I agree w/cspan that the NCAA simply needs to say, we want your response on 8/18/15 as originally planned.

It could also be true that the holeans concluded that any serious self-examination would probably turn up something additional, so they have "found" and included two additional but insignificant violations to demonstrate how serious they are about this process. This shows that, but for these minor additions, they are as pure as the driven snow and there is nothing else to find (a process that one might have assumed would have been undertaken when the football team was sanctioned recently, but apparently the paper classes were so well hidden that no reasonable investigation could discover them).

LOL. The new violations are WBB and men's soccer related. But it pushes the schedule back.

http://carolinacommitment.unc.edu/up...ation-to-ncaa/

Quote Originally Posted by Duke95 View Post
    LOL. The new violations are WBB and men's soccer related. But it pushes the schedule back.

Maybe push it back, maybe not:

"Upon receiving the results of the review, the NCAA enforcement staff will decide whether its current notice of allegations needs to be amended. Under these circumstances, the University will delay submitting its response to the current notice on the original Aug. 18 due date, consistent with NCAA procedures. The NCAA will set a new response date following the supplemental review of the new information."

I'm guessing it does delay the process.

Time for a visit to PackPride this afternoon or evening. Heads might be exploding over there.

I'm running out of words to describe those steaming mountains of organic waste material over there.

"Under these circumstances, the University will delay submitting its response to the current notice on the original Aug. 18 due date, consistent with NCAA procedures. ...We fully believe that we will be able to bring the investigation to a conclusion in spring 2016, as previously anticipated."
    So they acknowledge that their target for when the process will conclude is spring, 2016. Maybe around mid-April?

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    If so, that's an incredibly risky step to take to protect the postseason prospects of a team that probably won't make it past the second weekend, especially if the speculation is correct that the new violations include academic issues with classes outside of AAS.
    Not risky at all when the likely alternative is to be nuked from orbit.

The truth is UNC has proven time and time again they will do WHATEVER it takes.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post

Unlike some of you, I LOVE UNC's delay strategy.

I've said before, earlier in this thread, that they were going to delay the penalty phase of the process until after this basketball season plays out. They really believe this team can win the national championship.

But that's okay. In the first place, their team isn't that good. In the second place, the longer this plays out, the longer UNC suffers. Only when the penalties come down and UNC takes its medicine can UNC do what it professes to want to do -- move on.

A blueblood like UNC (or Kentucky or UCLA or Duke) can bounce back from disaster surprisingly quickly ... once it is over. Delaying the end of the scandal merely delays the point where UNC can begin its recovery. Look at any major NCAA scandal -- the leadup to the penalty phase is the worst time for the school. As long as UNC delays, we keep getting things like the CNN article talking about "the worst academic scandal in NCAA history." We keep getting prospects like Brandon Ingram, Harry Giles and Dennis Smith running from Chapel Hill as fast as they can go.

So relax ... pop some popcorn and enjoy our neighbors problems. Let then run the Four Corners ... it's going to work as well as it did in the 1977 national title game.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post

Must be one of the very few times anyone could use "truth" and "unc" in the same sentence.

“We identified this new information as part of our due diligence in preparing our response to the notice of allegations and materials for public release... Consistent with NCAA process, we promptly notified the NCAA’s enforcement staff."
    If they promptly notified the NCAA then it is interesting that this new information was discovered only at the very end of the 90 days they had to respond to the NOA.

How's that view from under the bus, Sylvia?

Apparently UNC self-reported the information to the NCAA this past Monday, but is just now going public about it today. Hellooooo, Friday news dump.
    "I swear Roy must redeem extra timeouts at McDonald's the day after the game for free hamburgers." --Posted on InsideCarolina, 2/18/2015

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post

I mean, they aren't getting nuked from orbit. Penn State didn't get nuked for enabling child rape, and the media browbeat the NCAA into reducing the penalties they *did* get. There's no chance ESPN and the other entities that run college athletics will allow the NCAA to give UNC a more significant penalty then that - there's too much inventory at stake.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Unlike some of you, I LOVE UNC's delay strategy.

I've said before, earlier in this thread, that they were going to delay the penalty phase of the process until after this basketball season plays out. They really believe this team can win the national championship.

But that's okay. In the first place, their team isn't that good. In the second place, the longer this plays out, the longer UNC suffers. Only when the penalties come down and UNC takes its medicine can UNC do what it professes to want to do -- move on.

A blueblood like UNC (or Kentucky or UCLA or Duke) can bounce back from disaster surprisingly quickly ... once it is over. Delaying the end of the scandal merely delays the point where UNC can begin its recovery. Look at any major NCAA scandal -- the leadup to the penalty phase is the worst time for the school. As long as UNC delays, we keep getting things like the CNN article talking about "the worst academic scandal in NCAA history." We keep getting prospects like Brandon Ingram, Harry Giles and Dennis Smith running from Chapel Hill as fast as they can go.

So relax ... pop some popcorn and enjoy our neighbors problems. Let then run the Four Corners ... it's going to work as well as it did in the 1977 national title game.

The board's not letting me spork you, but yeah. This.
    "I swear Roy must redeem extra timeouts at McDonald's the day after the game for free hamburgers." --Posted on InsideCarolina, 2/18/2015