Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Well stated. I happen to like Giroud, and he's been productive, but clearly we need something more up front. Last year at this time (if I remember correctly) I think we were concerned with the defense...always something.
    I'd have to agree with this too. I also like Giroud, but for all his skill with the ball, he lacks a step of speed. There were at least two really well-placed balls that he missed on Saturday because he simply just didn't get there fast enough. A striker with one more gear would have had little trouble slamming one (or both) home.
    I guess the theory is that Welbeck might help remedy that if/when he returns soon, but much of Welbeck's overall talent still resides largely within the theoretical realm.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I'd have to agree with this too. I also like Giroud, but for all his skill with the ball, he lacks a step of speed. There were at least two really well-placed balls that he missed on Saturday because he simply just didn't get there fast enough. A striker with one more gear would have had little trouble slamming one (or both) home.
    I guess the theory is that Welbeck might help remedy that if/when he returns soon, but much of Welbeck's overall talent still resides largely within the theoretical realm.
    Welbeck seems to be cursed with that "P" word...potential. Same at MUFC I think.

image.jpg

I just can't stand this man. I am not a Man U fan but he can't speak English he just doesn't make any sense. His days there must be numbered...bring back Fergie time?

image.jpg

Two years on...

Is the team better off?

Sigh. Wenger once again leaves all that money lying around.

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    image.jpg

Two years on...

Is the team better off?
    Fergie really put United in a bad spot when he left. Traded the future for one last PL title.

Sigh. Wenger once again leaves all that money lying around.
    disappointed, but hardly surprised.

So how long does Brendan Rodgers have before he is sacked, if he keeps on producing results like he did Saturday? And who replaces him? Klopp? Ancelotti?? Someone else???

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    disappointed, but hardly surprised.
    Agree completely...but worse this year to me with the seemingly available assets, the moves by our closest competitors, and all the noise about having budget this year.

Quote Originally Posted by toughbuff1 View Post
    So how long does Brendan Rodgers have before he is sacked, if he keeps on producing results like he did Saturday? And who replaces him? Klopp? Ancelotti?? Someone else???
    I'd imagine he has until Christmas to see where he can get this squad. As for who would replace him - I feel like it would be a similar situation to the one that saw Rogers hired. A manager from lesser PL team that is overachieving.

Quote Originally Posted by toughbuff1 View Post
    His tactical decisions have been shocking, and we have 7 pts on questionable referee decisions. Smart set-up against Arsenal away to play it tight and hit on the counterattack, but to play the same way against West Ham at home is ridiculous. If he continues to play Lovren over Sakho against ManU away, he won't make it past November. The good thing that the challenging match schedule early on will leave him no room to hide.

And now we just sent Tiago Illori, a 22yo CB talent, to Aston Villa on loan w/ option to buy after giving him no game time to prove himself while starting error-prone Lovren over and over and resigning old Kolo Toure. 7M pissed down the drain. So much money wasted under Rodgers - Lallana 25M, Lovren 20M, Markovic 20M, Allen 15M, Balotelli 16M. If only Benitez got to hit that 25-30M net spend every year ...

I'm leaning towards Klopp, who has made his interest in Liverpool known and is conveniently taking a break from managing right now. Liverpool owners FSG aren't stupid and can't be pleased with how their gamble is turning out. We're 4th in the league in net spend and only made UCL once in the last 5 years. I have to hope/believe they won't make the same mistake twice.

I agree on almost all counts. No idea why he favors Lovren over Sakho. I am impressed with Gomez, however, and Benteke is certainly an improvement over Lambert/Borini/Balotelli. Ings looked like he fit in well too, in the limited time he got.

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Welbeck seems to be cursed with that "P" word...potential. Same at MUFC I think.
    About that...

http://www.espnfc.us/arsenal/story/2...m-knee-surgery

Also, can we talk about the De Gea deal between United/Madrid.

1. RM is seriously ticked off and are swearing they will never do business with United again.

2. Now De Gea likely leaves on a free transfer in the summer and United get nothing for him.

Bizarre.

Uuuuuuuuggggh terrible. Looks like a lack of closing speed will pretty much define the whole campaign at the Emirates.
    Should we just ship the trophy to Man City now? I'm having a hard time coming up with any team who might realistically challenge them for the title.

Uuuuuuuuggggh terrible. Looks like a lack of closing speed will pretty much define the whole campaign at the Emirates.
    Should we just ship the trophy to Man City now? I'm having a hard time coming up with any team who might realistically challenge them for the title.
    What gets me -- surely this couldn't have been a surprise to Wenger? The decision to not pick up a striker is really baffling to me.

What gets me -- surely this couldn't have been a surprise to Wenger? The decision to not pick up a striker is really baffling to me.
    Accoording to David Ornstein of BBC Sport Arsenal were aware of Welbeck's status for some time. I imagine this is why Joel Campbell is still in London and not on loan.

U.S.-Brazil friendly. Like the time I forgot my safe word.

Brutal spanking.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    U.S.-Brazil friendly. Like the time I forgot my safe word.

Brutal spanking.
    Thankful I made the decision to not watch the game last night. Saved myself an evening it seems.

JK has a lot to figure out before the Mexico match in a month.

Mexico-Argentina much more entertaining. Although Argentina had to come back in last 7-8 minutes for the draw, they dominated the match, 70-30 possession, 12-3 SOG. Horrific pitch, btw.

Mexico looks on a roll, U.S. looks lost, especially back line. But I guess it's Duke-UNC - anything can happen.